Educational materials for hydronic heating

Educational materials for hydronic heating

PostBy: LDPosse On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:11 pm

I've been trying to find some decent information about setting up hydronic heating systems. I installed my oil fired boilers back in '06 by following the schematic that came with the boiler, but I'd like to get something a little more in-depth than that.

I saw that the AHRI website has the I=B=R manual available, but at $130 it's awfully pricy. I've been trying to find one used, but apparently no one sells their old textbooks on eBay.... If anyone has other good suggestions for hydronic reference material, I'd be glad to hear about it.
LDPosse

Stove/Furnace Make: DS Machine, Warm Morning
Stove/Furnace Model: DS1500, WM 400-A, 523

Re: Educational materials for hydronic heating

PostBy: McGiever On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:30 pm

McGiever

Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN MAGNUM
Hand Fed Coal Stove: RADIANT HOME AIR BLAST
Baseburners & Antiques: OUR GLENWOOD 111 BASEBURNER "1908"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE, NUT-STOVE / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

PostBy: LDPosse On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:31 pm

Thanks!
LDPosse

PostBy: LDPosse On: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:45 pm

Well I purchased and read "Pumping Away", very well written book. While reading, I had several "duh, why didn't I think of that" moments! :oops:

My only gripe is the price of these books! It seems like any literature of this genre is $$$$ :mad:
LDPosse

PostBy: steamup On: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:04 pm

LDPosse wrote:Well I purchased and read "Pumping Away", very well written book. While reading, I had several "duh, why didn't I think of that" moments! :oops:

My only gripe is the price of these books! It seems like any literature of this genre is $$$$ :mad:

You aren't buying romance novels here. Technical manuals are pricey. They are not sold in high volumes and are expensive to produce.

And most of it really never goes out of date, so it sets on someone's shelf as a reference book.

For the years of experience you are getting for less than $30.00, it is a really good bargin.

I've spent $1000's on college, textbooks, code books, review manuls, etc. Knowledge is expensive. You can either pay for knowledge up front or learn the hard way and pay for it in the end.
steamup

Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson AA-130, Keystoker K-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: HS Tarm 502 Wood/Coal/Oil
Coal Size/Type: pea, buck, rice

PostBy: Joeski On: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:50 pm

I once saw a bumper sticker that had this on it. "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance." Or something like that.
Joeski

Stove/Furnace Make: Reading
Stove/Furnace Model: Susquehanna