Tip for coal hopper life and gaskets

Tip for coal hopper life and gaskets

PostBy: Boiler Repair Man On: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:51 am

Greetings,
I want to pass along something we do on the lager stokers when we rebuild them. We wire wheel the hopper and other parts that are in contact with the coal. After they are clean we paint them with truck bed liner. We just go to any hardware store and buy the kit. Brush it on and let it dry. We paint any item that comes into contact with coal and coal juices. This prevents the coal and coal juices from rotting out the metal. This stuff does work and we have found it prolongs the life of metal parts in contact with coal. I painted my carpet feed plate on my stove at home and its still as good as new.

One other item I want to pass along, I see a lot of folks forget about replacing gaskets on the boilers. I see this is my job as well. One over looks these cheap seals. You also need to replace your door glass gasket as well. This gasket gets over looked so many times. These seals can also save your life cause of co leaking.

Thanks.
Boiler Repair Man

Stove/Furnace Make: Reading Stove Company
Stove/Furnace Model: Allegheny

Re: Tip for coal hopper life and gaskets

PostBy: xaos On: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:11 am

Great Tip BRM.. :idea:

Truck bed line, IE Rhino Liner ??

Going to have to try that, my Alaska Stoker 1 goes through a carpet plate every other season..
xaos

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Auger
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker 1
Coal Size/Type: Rice

PostBy: hcarlow On: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:17 am

Thanks for the tips as I am new to coal this year . I did spray my hopper with the spray type of truck bed liner , just wondering if that is as good as the brush on type. I guess I will find out how good it works when I do the spring clean up at shut down . Between the spray and burning dry coal I'm hopeing for the best as far as the hopper is concerned.
hcarlow

Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL 110

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

PostBy: coalkirk On: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:34 am

Great tip. To avoid problems though, just don't put wet coal in a hopper. That's asking for trouble. I have a list of things I do to my boiler every spring to prep it for summer shut down. Cleaning, prepping and painting the hopper is always on that list but honestly I've never had to do it. The hopper still looks like new inside at 10 years. No corrosion ever and it's not even painted. Harman doesn't paint the inside of the hoppers. It has seen damp coal but never wet. On the other hand several of the mag stokers I've bought to refurb have had corrosion. Once prepped, I like the truck liner idea. ;)
coalkirk

Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:47 am

Nice tips. I change the gaskets on the stove doors every year. I'm going to try the bed liner stuff on the hopper and hopper lid this spring.
I'm On Fire

Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

PostBy: Ed.A On: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:32 pm

Great tips, thanks. My 1st yr running a "like new" 1994 Alaska Stoker II ( I love this thing more than my Channing III) I'll be sure to break it down and follow your recommendations especially seeing as how I burn Blashak Rice.
Ed.A

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

PostBy: lsayre On: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:20 am

I'm On Fire wrote:Nice tips. I change the gaskets on the stove doors every year. I'm going to try the bed liner stuff on the hopper and hopper lid this spring.

I believe it may be best to consider this for stoves such as stokers, where the hopper isn't in such close proximity to the firebox.
lsayre

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13 KW)

Visit Lehigh Anthracite