why do several brands of stoves have the word Oak on them?

Re: why do several brands of stoves have the word Oak on them?

PostBy: nikonmom On: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:37 pm

ok, you know how i said i frequent antique stores and you say a stove is not a toy? I found what I thought was a toy, it was about foot, foot-and-a-half tall, cast iron
pot belly stove with all movable parts that was most likely a show room piece in order to obtain distributors for their stoves, but it was $350, however they are having a 25% off sale! gosh, i wanted that thing!
nikonmom
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Smith & Anthony
Stove/Furnace Model: Hub Oak

Re: why do several brands of stoves have the word Oak on them?

PostBy: nortcan On: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:41 pm

nikonmom wrote:ok, you know how i said i frequent antique stores and you say a stove is not a toy? I found what I thought was a toy, it was about foot, foot-and-a-half tall, cast iron
pot belly stove with all movable parts that was most likely a show room piece in order to obtain distributors for their stoves, but it was $350, however they are having a 25% off sale! gosh, i wanted that thing!


Do you have some photos of that Man's toy :?: Or a brand name :?:
I was just joking when I talked about a stove is not a toy. In fact it's not a toy :D
nortcan
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

Re: why do several brands of stoves have the word Oak on them?

PostBy: nikonmom On: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:46 pm

if you will tell me how to send a private message, i will give you the info. ha....
nikonmom
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Smith & Anthony
Stove/Furnace Model: Hub Oak

Visit Hitzer Stoves

to: nortcan

PostBy: nikonmom On: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:51 pm

i have a picture of the "toy" that i can email you
nikonmom
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Smith & Anthony
Stove/Furnace Model: Hub Oak

Re: to: nortcan

PostBy: SteveZee On: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:02 am

nikonmom wrote:i have a picture of the "toy" that i can email you

Just click on the members name (profile) and you'll see the link to be able to send a private message.

Also yes is the answer to you coal burning question. The round cylinder stoves are best at coal burning. Much more so than burning wood. The small square Glenwood parlor stove you describe is a wood stove. They made lots of those as room heaters. Generally speaking, if you have the ash pan and vents on the ash pit door (air) under the grates and the grates move (shake) then you can burn coal.
SteveZee
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Re: why do several brands of stoves have the word Oak on them?

PostBy: nikonmom On: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:04 pm

can cracks in the firepot (now i know where the word crackpot comes from) be fixed? I might as well ruin the rest of the stove.
nikonmom
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Smith & Anthony
Stove/Furnace Model: Hub Oak

Re: why do several brands of stoves have the word Oak on them?

PostBy: LsFarm On: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:32 pm

I'd recommend having the door and the firepot recast from your damaged originals. Put the pieces back together such that the shape and
diemensions are correct, The recast parts will be about 8-10% smaller than the original parts.
Tomohawk ? foundry in Wisconsin is the foundry usually recommended.

Greg L
LsFarm
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Re: why do several brands of stoves have the word Oak on them?

PostBy: jjs777_fzr On: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:07 pm

The name OAK may just be the copies of the Round Oak Stove company.
At least that's what the wiki article indicates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_Oak_Stove_Company

From the article -

The origin of the name Round Oak is unknown. The first theory is that Beckwith stoves were round and could hold a section of whole round oak tree in the firepot. The second theorizes that he named it after a foundry of the same name in England.

Thanks to the OP since I had often wondered what was the deal with the word 'OAK' in various stoves.
jjs777_fzr
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Penn Coal Stove & Chubby
Other Heating: CFM Wood Stove & Englander 25-PDVC Pellet Stove

Re: why do several brands of stoves have the word Oak on them?

PostBy: franco b On: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:22 pm

I don't know the origins but the word Oak in a stove's name seems to refer to a particular pattern of stove construction. A cast iron base on which is placed a fire pot that has the outside exposed. Above that a cast iron frame with a door to feed the fire and that is attached to a sheet metal barrel with a smoke outlet.

In looking at four antique Sears catalogs and many other stove catalogs, Oak stoves always have this construction. When the fire pot is enclosed within the stove body it is never called an Oak.
Attachments
IMG_0805.jpg
(132.69 KiB) Viewed 39 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]40768[/nepathumb]
franco b
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Mine is for sale, anybody interested???

PostBy: nikonmom On: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:27 pm

it needs work now
nikonmom
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Smith & Anthony
Stove/Furnace Model: Hub Oak

Re: why do several brands of stoves have the word Oak on them?

PostBy: SteveZee On: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:57 am

Nice looking MO114 Richard. Heck of a deal too! Looks just like mine on a diet. ;)
SteveZee
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Re: why do several brands of stoves have the word Oak on them?

PostBy: franco b On: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:38 pm

SteveZee wrote:Nice looking MO114 Richard. Heck of a deal too! Looks just like mine on a diet. ;)

It has worked out well. I was a little afraid that the shaker would drop too many live coals after reading your experience with your cook stove and that both you and William favor stove size coal, which i assume is for that reason. It turned out that the fire bridges just enough to allow the ash to drop easily without dropping more than a few pieces of pea size coal and frequently not even that. Easiest and fastest shake down of any stove I have tried. The coal I an using seems to be a mix from stove to pea size. You can see the 6 point socket I use for shake down in the picture.

The stove lacks the back pipe but since I run it at low output (20 pound per day) the stack temperature is just right at a bit less than 200 on the surface of the pipe. Four feet further I can hold my hand on it.

What a nice collection to have all three sizes of the stove.

Would very much like to try a stove with the design of Williams no. 9. They are not as pretty so should be less money.
franco b
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Re: why do several brands of stoves have the word Oak on them?

PostBy: SteveZee On: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:46 am

franco b wrote:
SteveZee wrote:Nice looking MO114 Richard. Heck of a deal too! Looks just like mine on a diet. ;)

It has worked out well. I was a little afraid that the shaker would drop too many live coals after reading your experience with your cook stove and that both you and William favor stove size coal, which i assume is for that reason. It turned out that the fire bridges just enough to allow the ash to drop easily without dropping more than a few pieces of pea size coal and frequently not even that. Easiest and fastest shake down of any stove I have tried. The coal I an using seems to be a mix from stove to pea size. You can see the 6 point socket I use for shake down in the picture.

The stove lacks the back pipe but since I run it at low output (20 pound per day) the stack temperature is just right at a bit less than 200 on the surface of the pipe. Four feet further I can hold my hand on it.

What a nice collection to have all three sizes of the stove.

Would very much like to try a stove with the design of Williams no. 9. They are not as pretty so should be less money.



Yeah me too Richard. That base burner style with the isolated pot is maybe the best design ever? Simple and efficient with few moving parts. Like to find one in the 16" size and compare.
SteveZee
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Re: why do several brands of stoves have the word Oak on them?

PostBy: wsherrick On: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:52 pm

Steve, what you want then is an Our Glenwood No 113. That's the largest base heater of that design that I am aware of.
wsherrick
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Re: why do several brands of stoves have the word Oak on them?

PostBy: SteveZee On: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:16 am

wsherrick wrote:Steve, what you want then is an Our Glenwood No 113. That's the largest base heater of that design that I am aware of.


William, The perfect rig would be a 16"-18" pot in that base burner design like your upstairs stove but with prismatic grates. I wonder why they didn't make more of those design in larger sizes?
SteveZee
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Visit Hitzer Stoves