Introduce Yourself

Re: Introduce Yourself

PostBy: mattcoalburner On: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:31 pm

DEFINETLY burn coal!!!! you will be so happy you did!
mattcoalburner

Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading Juniata

PostBy: hardfire On: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:59 pm

I'm Brian and I have been lurking around this site for years... I burn a Franco Belge 475 on Long Island - this is my 5th season on anthracite - sure beats paying large for heating oil, and the house is warmer than the oil burner makes it, unless I turn the thermostat up to EXXON Valdez range. I'll never return to straight oil: too expensive and the price is too volatile. I'm "hands on", repair and rebuild most things I need, and even a few that I don't. I'm into old cars, old motorcycles, old houses, and MATURE women (see, I didn't say "old", hey, I'm eccentric, not dumb).
hardfire

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Franco Belge 475
Other Heating: Yep, Oil Burner baseboard hot water
Stove/Furnace Make: Franco Belge
Stove/Furnace Model: 475

PostBy: baddawg On: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:09 am

Welcome HF!
baddawg

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Pioneer

PostBy: Nittany Valley Son On: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:44 pm

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the hand fired coal stove world. I grew up burning wood. I just bought a house with a Baker stove in it. Seeing how we just got 8 inches of snow last night I figured I better get it started tonight. Any good tips out there?
Nittany Valley Son

Stove/Furnace Make: Baker
Stove/Furnace Model: Heat King

PostBy: michaelanthony On: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:33 pm

welcome to the forum. Any pic's we love'em, don't think I've seen a Baker stove yet.
michaelanthony

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box, vogelzang pot belly coat rack
Coal Size/Type: Pea, and a little nut
Other Heating: Very cold FHA oil furnace

PostBy: freetown fred On: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:36 pm

Yo nvs, finish your profile. I promise, nobody'll steal ya. :)
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

PostBy: skotrod On: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:14 pm

Hi, my name is Scott. I live in the finger lakes region of Central NY. I've heated my house with an Alaskan Channing stove for the past 4 winters, using approx 3 tons a year. Found this forum a few weeks ago and saw a lot of good info. Hope to learn more.
skotrod

Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Channng

PostBy: freetown fred On: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:21 pm

Welcome to the FORUM Scott. Remember, the only stupid questions are the one's we don't ask. :)
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

PostBy: Wiz On: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:41 pm

Like to say hello to all the new members of 2012, sorry but it's time to bring in the new members of 2013 :P
Wiz

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

PostBy: Swamp Donkey On: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:30 pm

Howdy folks, My name is Eric. I've been looking around here for a while and now "joined up" I'm currently burning wood in an AHS Woodgun boiler. I have a big pc. of ground here, all woods therefore the WoodGun. Moved up here 4 yrs ago from central MD, (in the mountains near Camp David) to get away from all those people! If I had stayed south, I'd for sure be burning coal, but for now the wood cutting keeps me active and I do enjoy it. My thinking is that eventually, my WGun will die & I 'll be hard pressed to cut wood and I'll go to coal, maybe a coal gun? I look forward to asking you guy's stupid rookie questions about coal.
We have a nice big shop with a little attached house, all radiant heat and It is very comfortable. I have been a bldg. contr. all my life and built this place by my self except for the concrete work. Not sure if I'm retired or unemployed, but with this JOKER currently in office in DC, my plans are deffinetly on hold, hoping the real estate market will limp back to life but that's tough with no jobs. sory for the mini rant, it does make me feel better though. We'll be talkin' :discuss:
Swamp Donkey

Stove/Furnace Make: AHS
Stove/Furnace Model: E-100

PostBy: oppirs On: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:42 am

Welcome SD, voice your opinion. I'm in the same boat! as too life!

Coal a new thing as I burn Bit and some $$bagged ant. To the shame... I still burn wood here, and I love for the smell, flames, heat, but not too cut.split or stack.
oppirs

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo / CW #2
Other Heating: Lopi / Liberty

PostBy: Jersey John On: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:57 pm

Hello ~ My name is John (Jersey John) and I joined this forum back in 2006 as I was considering purchasing a coal stove. At the time, many of my concerns were based on how long an unattended fire could last banked down because I spent every other weekend visiting my girlfriend in South Jersey. My sons were too young to stay home alone, and so went to their mother's when I was out of town. I simply couldn't afford a stoker nor did I trust the weather to rely on electricity through our stormy winters.

So, I started a long thread about Hitzer Stove Company, and enjoyed a plethora of responses and recommendations....even meeting another fellow in South Jersey who showed me his set up.. If there were a local coal supply or I had the pickup I purchased in 2008, I may have purchased a coal stove then...but, I never did as my contractor and I decided to try another approach with wood. Purchasing a new efficient Regency Wood stove and opening up a flu on my first floor, I was able to heat the better part of my upstairs living space. In the last few months, I had wood style porcelain planks installed to replace a well worn carpet. Wonderfully cool underfoot during warmer months, it will no doubt be much more so if I don't get some heat into my unheated basement...

Thus my return to this forum with intent to remove my 20+ year old Defiant Encore...and installing a Hitzer 50-93. Didn't realize how popular coal has become, as I now also have a local coal yard I can drive to within 15 miles of my home and pick up 1/2 ton at a time for $135.00

Wanted to THANK those who have contributed to my past threads, as well as to everyone for adding their knowledge and interest to this amazing forum...truly the only resource on the internet with more information about coal than anywhere else!
Jersey John

Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS 1500
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Regency Wood Stove

PostBy: 07roadstar On: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:22 pm

HI y'all! My name is Brett and I live in Keeseville, NY and I'm going to start burning coal this year. Have been burning pellets and oil for a couple of years and want to give coal a try but the wife is a little hesitant. Now I purchased 2 stoves, 1. chubby, 2. ds basement 2200. The chubby will not be running in the house but instead with be used in the garage. The ds is in the basement and not hooked up yet but soon. Going the natural circulation. But anyways thanks for letting me come here.
Brett
07roadstar

Stove/Furnace Make: DS Machine
Stove/Furnace Model: Basement #4 DS-2200

PostBy: Wiz On: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:14 pm

Welcome to forum
Wiz

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

PostBy: anthony7812 On: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:39 pm

07roadstar and JerseyJohn welcome to the forum. Make sure you ask, ask and ask some more and make some educated decisions with your coal burning futures! :D
anthony7812

Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite