Crane Coal Cooker

Re: Crane Coal Cooker

PostBy: coalcookmfg On: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:45 pm

Hi Doug,

Your husband and I worked closely making and selling the Coal Cooker. We used one for years and have remade the larger on into a 'wood stove'. Sorry to hear your dad has passed. It was quite the adventure making those stoves for him. Glad to hear your are attempting to carry on... Best of luck.
coalcookmfg

Stove/Furnace Make: Crane Coal Cooker

PostBy: SteveZee On: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:37 pm

dcrane wrote:(unlike the glued & screwed cast iron stoves that were NEVER up to my fathers standards of quality ...though the sure are pretty lookin' sometimes their function and lifespan can NEVER compare to a solid welded steel stove like a Crane) LOL

Crane Model 44 Firebrick Mold

That's a bold statement Doug, Considering the two Glenwoods in my house are both 100 years old and change and heating this old house quite well, still. Come back and see me when those Cranes have caught up in say another 65-70 years? ;)
SteveZee

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

PostBy: carlherrnstein On: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:44 pm

Let the flame war begin. :out:
carlherrnstein

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

PostBy: wsherrick On: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:02 pm

carlherrnstein wrote:Let the flame war begin. :out:

I've already responded to the above statement in another thread. See link.

http://nepacrossroads.com/about24175-60.html
wsherrick

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

PostBy: nortcan On: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:36 pm

Doug, on the members avatars, we can see 2 Crane models. What is the differences between both? And do you have description/photos on the path for the gases inside of the stove? And what kind of grates they have...more infos is always better :!:
Thanks
nortcan

Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

PostBy: SteveZee On: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:14 am

Pierre,

They are a simple direct draft stove, so no extended path to speak of. The grates are the same as in your VigII. Well not the same as yours :D , but the same as a stock VigII. Doug claimes that his dad invented them and VC ripped off the design, but that's up for debate as that style was in existance for quite some time before the first Crane was made.
SteveZee

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

PostBy: nortcan On: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:41 pm

SteveZee wrote:Pierre,

They are a simple direct draft stove, so no extended path to speak of. The grates are the same as in your VigII. Well not the same as yours :D , but the same as a stock VigII. Doug claimes that his dad invented them and VC ripped off the design, but that's up for debate as that style was in existance for quite some time before the first Crane was made.

Good points Steve!
But the Mistery about "inventing"/"ripping" the grates is WHY "copy a pour desing of grates when some grates models like the ones found in Antique Stoves were way ahead of the ones we talk about here? In the past, they made stove but also HAD to use these stoves everydays, stoves were made to Work and they still do!
Copy a bad guy never makes a good one :lol:
nortcan

Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

PostBy: wsherrick On: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:51 pm

nortcan wrote:
SteveZee wrote:Pierre,

Good points Steve!
But the Mistery about "inventing"/"ripping" the grates is WHY "copy a pour desing of grates when some grates models like the ones found in Antique Stoves were way ahead of the ones we talk about here? In the past, they made stove but also HAD to use these stoves everydays, stoves were made to Work and they still do!
Copy a bad guy never makes a good one :lol:

If you look in the Eclipse catalog or any other catalog from the era, you find that they built a model of stove for a specific task and to burn a specific fuel. If you want to learn how to make a superior stove. Study these and learn. They left no stone unturned in the quest for efficiency and convenience of use. Any honest person can easily see that there is no comparison to what was produced then and what has been passed off as a coal stove for the past 40 years.
wsherrick

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

PostBy: clownbarber On: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:00 pm

We have a Crane 44 & we want to know what it s worth. ANYONE, Anyone,...anyone?
clownbarber

Stove/Furnace Make: Crane
Stove/Furnace Model: 44

PostBy: dcrane On: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:02 pm

clownbarber wrote:We have a Crane 44 & we want to know what it s worth. ANYONE, Anyone,...anyone?

welcome to the forum... If you post some pics inside and out it would help alot to determine the condition and value. Things to check for are worn/cracked firebrick, warped/cracked grate, is the interior baffle near the flu burned out or warped, are the hinge pins 1/8 th inch think or 1/4 inch thick? does it have a shroud and blower system?

Also please fill in your profile by clicking on the "user control panel" link at the top of the page (I promise nobody is going to steal you) ;)
If you live nearby some folks in this forum, it may help to make a fast sale for a fair price.

Generally speaking id pay $100 for any 44 near me, they seem to sell in the $200 neighborhood most the time (if it has a shroud, blower system, soapstone top or are in exceptional condition that value could be as high as $400.00 on the top end).
dcrane

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:34 pm

Doug, You guys had some nice products throughout the years.
Flyer5

Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

PostBy: dcrane On: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:49 am

Flyer5 wrote:Doug, You guys had some nice products throughout the years.

why thank you my good friend :cheers: . It ALL started with the Crane Coal Cooker (model 44), so they will always have a warm place in my heart :bighug:
dcrane

PostBy: walter bolcon On: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:18 am

I have been looking for a replacement firebox for a Crane 404, which has a cast iron fire box. Can I replace this cast iron firebox with the older cast firebrick type? And, does anyone have an existing unit for sale? Thank you for any help that you can provide.
walter bolcon

Stove/Furnace Make: Russo

PostBy: dcrane On: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:00 pm

walter bolcon wrote:I have been looking for a replacement firebox for a Crane 404, which has a cast iron fire box. Can I replace this cast iron firebox with the older cast firebrick type? And, does anyone have an existing unit for sale? Thank you for any help that you can provide.

You can replace the cast firepot with a replacement from these "theivin' scum bag pieces 0 Chit" http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/169063 ... repot.html
OR you search for a used 404 on creigs list locally OR you can take one of mine to a foundry and ask them to re-cast it (cost about $150).

You can indeed install a refractory liner... my good friend Beamerboy did exactly that here... http://nepacrossroads.com/post65891.html#p65891
the downside is you will reduce the amount of coal that can be held, you will not obtain the secondary air for combustion over the firebed... so though it can be done its not an option I would take.
dcrane

PostBy: Carbon12 On: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:17 pm

$530.00!??! Holy Bat Guano Batman! If having one cast is only $150.00 how can they charge almost 4 times as much?!!?
Carbon12

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace