Thanks for the replies I didn't realize the aluminum cam I have seen mentioned was a home made item. I am sure there is a reason for the nylon and for it to melt to prevent further problems. The dealer didn't make it out so I spent yesterday removing the cam and cleaning all parts, the worst part was by far getting the melted nylon cam and melted screws cleaned up. Went to dealer and got the new nylon cam and screws.
Jrn my grates should have been fine and looked like they were the unit is new so it only had about 2 months of burn time on. Since I had it apart I removed the grates and cleaned under them and re-cemented them in last night, hopefully sealing correctly. I replaced all parts last night and allowed cement to sit overnight. I have fired up this am and watching it now to see how it goes, so far so good.
I am new to this coal burning and obviously still have alot to learn, I have a tendency to tinker more than I should although I didn't make any right before the hopper fire I think it was a combination of things including draft, trying to cut back on coal usage, and 2 60 degree days causing extended idling. I have the combustion shutter and direct vent back to the factory settings and plan on leaving it there! My draft is measured with a magnehelic and has always been on the low side but the gauge was something that was previously used and I am not 100 percent sure it is accurate. I am concerned that my feed screw adjustment may have changed from the unit running with the melted cam and it is currently running hotter than normal but I am watching and not making any changes until I am 100 percent sure.
Hopefully I have learned to leave well enogh alone and have learned a little more about how the koker operates.
once again thanks for the replies and info.