Im getting tired of tree's falling like cordwood around here

Re: Im getting tired of tree's falling like cordwood around here

PostBy: CapeCoaler On: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:37 am

Pay the tree guys for the hangups...
They are like ants...
It is not worth learning trhe hard way...
CapeCoaler

Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

PostBy: dcrane On: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:18 pm

freetown fred wrote:Aside from all the didactic crap--dc--their called widow makers for a reason--get somebody that knows what the hell their doing to advise/ do this job--you'll never catch up, all broke up :(

after taking these pics out back today im inclined to think your correct fred :( Look at that upside down tree (can someone explain how the hell that could happen without seeing ToTo and Dorothy flying by? :cry: also after noticing that some of the other "leaner's" are not only propped up against oaks at the top but also their root ball is held down by large fallen pines (im not sure which is really holding these damb things up :shock: )... its just a big cluster fkkk around here and i dont have the money to hire someone to do this.Can this be an insurance claim because my lands look like a freeeking war zone that i cant even safely walk in anymore :(
Attachments
upside down tree.JPG
(268.76 KiB) Viewed 8 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
how did this happen? tree is totally upside down and lodged in a Y =\
[nepathumb]40713[/nepathumb]
close up of upside down tree.JPG
(225.64 KiB) Viewed 6 times
[nepathumb]40714[/nepathumb]
we got a leaner.JPG
(280.37 KiB) Viewed 6 times
1 Point for a leaner!
[nepathumb]40715[/nepathumb]
close up of leaner.JPG
(217.25 KiB) Viewed 4 times
[nepathumb]40716[/nepathumb]
3 trees down 1 root ball up.JPG
(163.35 KiB) Viewed 6 times
3 trees down, one rootball up
[nepathumb]40717[/nepathumb]
base of leaner held up by downed trees.JPG
(255.8 KiB) Viewed 3 times
base of one of the leaners held by a fallen solder
[nepathumb]40718[/nepathumb]
one of the rootballs pack of smokes to give demension.JPG
(213.34 KiB) Viewed 6 times
yes that is indeed a tiny pack of smoke hanging on a root to give you dimension of the sheer size of these beasts!
[nepathumb]40719[/nepathumb]
leaner 2.JPG
(257.13 KiB) Viewed 4 times
to many leaners to photo... i counted about 8 total
[nepathumb]40720[/nepathumb]
dcrane

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

PostBy: SMITTY On: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:15 pm

If it were me, I'd notch the tree that's holding up the leaner to the side, perpendicular to the leaner. Then cut the other side while watching carefully. if done correctly the whole mess should go down to one side. I've done this on my property a few times. That ice storm in '08 wreaked havoc over here.

Just be aware of cutting any tree with tension on it -- as soon as you cut a "curved" (under tension) tree, it will buck back at you. If your standing there, you'll be knocked on your ass quicker than you can blink, and have multiple internal injuries and bleeding, best case. :shock:
SMITTY

Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

PostBy: Richard S. On: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:31 pm

dcrane wrote: :( Look at that upside down tree (can someone explain how the hell that could happen without seeing ToTo and Dorothy flying by? :cry:

That's funny but easily explained, it's just a matter of leverage. The top part of the tree weighs more than the bottom and it see sawed the bottom up once it fell into that crook.

Frankly Doug if you have no experience with trees I'd suggest calling someone that does. That first tree the first thing I'm going to try is hooking it to a machine and pulling it out of the tree and if that didn't work I'm calling someone that knows how to climb trees.
Richard S.

Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

PostBy: dcrane On: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:32 pm

SMITTY wrote:If it were me, I'd notch the tree that's holding up the leaner to the side, perpendicular to the leaner. Then cut the other side while watching carefully. if done correctly the whole mess should go down to one side. I've done this on my property a few times. That ice storm in '08 wreaked havoc over here.

Just be aware of cutting any tree with tension on it -- as soon as you cut a "curved" (under tension) tree, it will buck back at you. If your standing there, you'll be knocked on your ass quicker than you can blink, and have multiple internal injuries and bleeding, best case. :shock:

Ohhhh well that makes me feel better :shock: LOL, I was thinking in the spring i would rent one of those track cats for the day for $350 and that may be my safest and cheapest way out of this mess???
I was thinking because i would be inside a roll cage at least im safe when im pushing and pulling all this crap down to the ground???
dcrane

PostBy: SMITTY On: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:48 pm

Cheapest way would be to wait a couple days until the next storm wipes them all out. toothy
SMITTY

PostBy: NoSmoke On: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:52 pm

You want to watch hardwoods blow down left and right...wait until you get a good snow storm when the leaves are still on the trees. If we get a freak snow storm here while the hardwoods are still in leaf, half the state of Maine will be without power. The reasons the softwoods topple over more is because they have their needles still on them which catch the wind and act as a sail. The leverage on a Hemlock or Pine during the winter when the strongest winds blows really puts pressure on the trunk and root system. The hardwoods do not have that much leverage because the wind is blowing through the upper crown and not blowing against it.

Another sad part about Oak is that they are sissies when it comes to their roots. Take a bulldozer or excavator and rub the roots of an oak. They are like an old lady that dyes her hair, oaks do not like their roots touched and will die the next year. Pine, Spruce or Hemlock...they could care less. You could knock out half the root ball and they will still live.

To me the most amazing tree is the White Ash. I have bulldozed a lot of stumps, this year going up against 3 big White Pine Stumps that were well over 3 feet in diameter. In 20 minutes all three of them were out, but that bulldozer (an 185 horsepower 850C John Deere) struggled when it went up against a 16 inch White Ash. It is to the point that when I make my logging roads for the trucks, I minimize the number of White Ash trees I bulldoze, because they are such a pain to root out. Talk about being glued to the ground!
NoSmoke

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vogelzang Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler (Back-up)

PostBy: CapeCoaler On: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:44 pm

find someone who makes lumber aka sawmill...
They may be interested in your trees...
CapeCoaler

Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

PostBy: SMITTY On: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:52 pm

Yeah good idea Cape - they look pretty straight. Might get them taken down for free in a trade? Wishful thinking in this state, but at the very least a reduced rate. They get BUKU BUCKS for tree work around here. It's all of 4 figures all day long. :shock:

We've got some type of blight up here that's killing all our white ash trees. Got one near the barn that I want to take down .. but it's AIMING for the barn. Just did the roof too. Decided to just leave it be. It's falling down branch by branch anyway. Just can't park under it during a wind event.

We have ATV trails all over the place that have gone over pine roots for 30 years - all healthy as ever, so I hear what your sayin' there. Tough in the roots ... not so much in the limbs. :)
SMITTY

PostBy: Richard S. On: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:52 am

dcrane wrote:
Ohhhh well that makes me feel better :shock: LOL, I was thinking in the spring i would rent one of those track cats for the day for $350 and that may be my safest and cheapest way out of this mess???

Sounds like a plan, you'll need a good long chain and a rope, if you use rope you'll need to learn to tie something other than "knife knots" ;)

I was thinking because i would be inside a roll cage at least im safe when im pushing and pulling all this crap down to the ground???

For the trees that are just leaning they might not go over that easy. If it were me I'm just going to cut it however if it's leaning towards other trees and might get hung up you can use a smaller rope or even twine with a weight on the end and get it up into the tree as far as you can. You use that smaller rope to get a much larger rope into the tree. Then you can tie the bigger rope to the machine and just pull it over. Just make sure you have really long rope and they won't be cheap.

Always remember one thing, it's a hell of lot bigger than it looks standing up.
Richard S.

Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

PostBy: dcrane On: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:09 pm

CapeCoaler wrote:find someone who makes lumber aka sawmill...

Called Capeway Lumber and they are comming to take a peak next week :D OMG i hope and pray my tree's are OK for lumber :cry: great idea capecoaler!!! at least it gives me a shot at free...keep your fingers crossed for me guys!
dcrane

PostBy: SMITTY On: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:36 pm

SWEEEEEEET!! :punk:

We can still survive in this hellhole after all. 8-)
SMITTY

PostBy: SteveZee On: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:04 am

dcrane wrote:
CapeCoaler wrote:find someone who makes lumber aka sawmill...

Called Capeway Lumber and they are comming to take a peak next week :D OMG i hope and pray my tree's are OK for lumber :cry: great idea capecoaler!!! at least it gives me a shot at free...keep your fingers crossed for me guys!

If anything they'll prolly pulp those. Saw logs are generally a bit bigger unless it's a small porto mill.
SteveZee

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range