Used Vs New parts

Used Vs New parts

PostBy: wilder11354 On: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:53 pm

Found a person with 2 336 balers that will be scrapped. Had list of parts i need, went over talked to him, looked over balers, had what i was looking for there. So i asked what are you looking for money wise for the parts...preparing myself for astronomical prices. Said $200 for all you want except for hyd pump and cylinder. Ok i said instantly before he had second thoughts, and paid him. Other parts in cab are 2 sheaves,deflectors for lower stripper mounts, some miisc springs,stripper bolts, pulley for hyd pump., and steel Hyd lines for ejector setup run under main chute with fittings.
P1200226.JPG
(81.23 KiB) Viewed 11 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]39801[/nepathumb]

P1200227.JPG
(81.39 KiB) Viewed 16 times
[nepathumb]39802[/nepathumb]

P1200228.JPG
(82.66 KiB) Viewed 10 times
[nepathumb]39803[/nepathumb]

i priced all these parts new(JD) and used ( Frys), either way it would have been anywheres from $450>$1100. So when all is said and done, good used parts far out weigh new if its something you want to do economically. Still have JD new parts ordered, ones that i wouldn't get used, bearings, and places that once assembled it will be next to impossible to replace without major tear down. Which come to about $400 dollars. will be busy sanding and blasting next few weeks, preping parts for new paint.
wilder11354

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed

Re: Used Vs New parts

PostBy: Dennis On: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:10 pm

ask if he will sell the rest of the used bailer if you have room to store it.I'm sure you will be needing more parts from it
Dennis

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

PostBy: NoSmoke On: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:07 pm

During harvest season my Uncle needed new John Deere parts for his chopper, but it was Saturday afternoon and the John Deere store was closed. So he goes out on the front line with wrenches in hand and proceeds to pull the part off their brand new chopper. As he is doing it, a salesman drives in, so he waves to the guy, the guy waves back and he takes the part and puts it on his own chopper to get through harvest season.

When he tells me this I was like, "So you stole them?"

"No, he says all upset at me, "I'll bring it back."

So I go to the John Deere dealer for my own parts and told them the story. I never said his name, but said, "He said he was going to bring the parts back, you just might want to go out and check!"

Funny story, but I think I would go with your way when getting parts.
NoSmoke

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vogelzang Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler (Back-up)

PostBy: Mark (PA) On: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:42 pm

that is a great story nosmoke... too funny.

I always use used parts if I can find them. rebuilt my NH66 baler with lots of used parts... never really had an issue.

I also look forward to a good farm auction. Anymore we don't have many around my area though. Less folks farming so obviously less farm equipment to sell... sad in a way.
Mark (PA)

Stove/Furnace Make: 1953 EFM SF-520 High Boy
Stove/Furnace Model: Fitzgibbon Boiler

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:57 pm

Hey wilder, love the truck ;) Hell, used parts is what keeps Freetown on the Ag map. :clap: toothy
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

PostBy: wilder11354 On: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:19 pm

Thanks Fred... built rear bed a few years ago... now i need a better cab.Flinstone brake system appeared in floorboards. Been putting off doing work on truck past few years to redo equipment for farm, but the rust mites are letting go of each others hands.Keeep an eye peeled for one.93-94 ford cab no A/C, 4x4 for tunnel holes.
wilder11354

PostBy: NoSmoke On: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:27 pm

We had a 88 Ford 1 ton that lost the reverse in the transmission...it was a good truck, but it took two years for me to pull into a spot that I could not drive completely around in, or if it was not facing uphill. Without reverse, you really have to plan ahead. As for brakes, no Flintstones Braking System, but to stop you had to pull out on the Emergency Brake Release, while simultaneously pushing the Emergency Brake Pedal in. That worked but "feathering" the brakes was kind of hard which made for some "puckering" moments, and I am not talking about lips or kissing...some other body part was puckered.

My Uncle (same one that was borrowing the parts off the new John Deere) had hit his truck with the disc harrow. To shut the folded up drivers door, you had to lock the door, then slam it shut, any other method left the door unlatched. Then it had fuel filter issues so it would stall out. If you shut it off and restart it, it would go. This was required 3-4 times on a trip of 4-5 miles. He told me, "It will get you there, but you'll wonder at times."

I think if it was not for breakdowns, we just might be profitable.
NoSmoke

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vogelzang Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler (Back-up)

PostBy: wilder11354 On: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:14 pm

well baler is pretty much diassembled, except getting plunger out. Road trip it tomorrow morning, early, to a friends machine shop. He's got a good size blaster pot and commercial trailer compressor to clean up areas in chute where the guides for plunger all mount to shim, set play in plunger. Not rotted out, but am going to clean it up, repaint, all these areas, One right bottom rail is wavy so thats getting a new rail. rest of pieces are reusable, and will all be blasted and repainted....Plus not sure of plunger crank rod, awful lot of lateral play... just might be needing some of his machineing skills if worn bad for new bushings and pin. Of course more new bearings will need to be had for some more things.

Weather is getting bearable for doing this now. Trade is i use his blaster, i blast things he also needs blasted sametime(day) i do mine.. Going to try to set baler up on some blocks to elevate some for underneath blasting. Won't be blasting tomorrow just get plunger out, blast in next week or two. will post pictures of it before after blasting.
wilder11354