Woodland Direct (Money Sharks or Fireplace Shop?)

Forum rules
As the title "Thoughtful and Intelligent Debates" implies we want quality discussion in this forum. If you're going to post a new topic or reply to one here please make sure it fits the following guidelines.

• Clear and descriptive title for your topic.
  • You don't need to write a book but please have a reasonable amount of material to support or dispute what you are discussing.
  • Outside references to material to support or dispute your argument can be used but they should not wholly make up your argument. If for example you reference a news article please explain exactly what you are referencing and why.
  • Stay on topic, while topics will wander in the general forums we want to keep them strictly on topic in this forum. Flaming will not be tolerated at all.

Woodland Direct (Money Sharks or Fireplace Shop?)

PostBy: dcrane On: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:58 am

Is anyone else having issue with this online store and their blatantly absurd prices? :mad:
How does a place like this survive when its painfully clear how much they overcharge for products?
example http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Wood-Stov ... Extensions ($500.00 i could build a whole new masonry hearth) :shock:

and another one is Woodmans Parts Plus http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/169063 ... FP404.html (Im not sure who is worst)?
I hope neither of these places advertise here (i'll bite my tongue if they do), but holy crap... we need a more fair option then this absurdity :mad:
dcrane

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Re: Woodland Direct (Money Sharks or Fireplace Shop?)

PostBy: Lightning On: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:35 am

I bought all my stove pipe from them. I thought the pipe was stellar, the shipping was fast and the price was very reasonable.
Lightning

Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut Size / White Ash

PostBy: CapeCoaler On: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:35 am

They are a rated pad that can be picked up and installed by 'normal' people...
It will pass an inspection because of the rating sheet...
it comes in a variety of colors...
nothing is inexpensive that is ready made...
you pay for the instant gratification...
Woodmans has always been...
but they are Woodmans...
CapeCoaler

Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

PostBy: Richard S. On: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:50 am

dcrane wrote:and another one is Woodmans Parts Plus http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/169063 ... FP404.html (Im not sure who is worst)?
I hope neither of these places advertise here (i'll bite my tongue if they do), but holy crap... we need a more fair option then this absurdity :mad:

When you have something that is rare that might sit on the shelf for years or even decades you have to charge for it and can charge for it.

I had a sink here they wanted $250 for the faucet assembly and another $75 for the drain assembly. It was a small vintage sink from the 50's where only the factory parts would fit it, it wasn't anything special. If I had let it sit in the garage for the next ten years I might have been able to get that for it, I ended up getting $50 for the whole sink. That site had parts for hundreds of sinks like that and they are banking on the fact at some point someone is going to need those parts and want to keep their original sink. Someone is going to need it but it may take them years to sell it....
Richard S.

Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

PostBy: michaelanthony On: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:53 am

Hi Doug, I see your point. It appears that when it comes to safety or required by codes and inspectors manufacturers and resale company's have a field day throwing a number at the wall and see what sticks! Two years ago when I put my stove in front of my fireplace the hearth pads sold at my local stove retailer were " on sale " for four hundred bucks. I went to the big box store and bought a box of 12 x 12 ceramic tile, a piece of cement board ( durock ) and grout for sixty bucks and made it myself. It appears the fire brick for your name sake stoves are a result of non competition! Is there a way for you to throw your hat in the ring in regards to the fire brick liners?
michaelanthony

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box, vogelzang pot belly coat rack
Coal Size/Type: Pea, and a little nut
Other Heating: Very cold FHA oil furnace