Rooster-less Farm

Re: Rooster-less Farm

PostBy: lsayre On: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:27 pm

My hens lay eggs just as well without a rooster as with.
lsayre

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (It has been fixed!)

PostBy: NoSmoke On: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:12 pm

Roosters have nothing to do with the ovulation of hens, just as a single woman still has her menstrual period whether she has a man around or not. However, it would be mighty tough to have fertilized eggs that turn into chicks with out the rooster, or artificial insemination. The latter I am not going to do, and yes I am Chicken! :-)
NoSmoke

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vogelzang Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler (Back-up)

PostBy: KLook On: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:37 pm

You ALL (except for Franco) need sensitivity training and gov. reeducation. Sally Struthers will be brought in to advise about animal rights, Jane Fonda will handle the gov. reeducation. Expect notification in the mail.

Kevin
KLook

Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF 3000
Coal Size/Type: rice, bagged, Blaschak
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman (Back In Maine)
Stove/Furnace Model: VF 3000

PostBy: Scottscoaled On: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:15 pm

Still got a couple weeks to get some fertilized eggs. They don't get fertilized just before they lay them ya' no :lol:
Scottscoaled

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520x3, 700 Van Wert 800
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: EFM 150, Keystoker 150
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck

PostBy: franco b On: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:34 pm

KLook wrote:You ALL (except for Franco) need sensitivity training and gov. reeducation. Sally Struthers will be brought in to advise about animal rights, Jane Fonda will handle the gov. reeducation. Expect notification in the mail.

Kevin

Bear in mind that you probably owe your existence to those in the past who had a general feeling for animals beyond that of most.

That this emotion is so strong in the genome of any population is proof of its merit in the survivability of that population, at least in the past.

It is my belief that the study of animal behavior and of our own animal past is critical to our present survival.

Our species name is "Thinking Man" but looking at history and present events it is obvious that thinking is pretty rare, at least in a rational manner. What predominates is blind instinctive behavior, most of which we are mostly ignorant of.

For those of a religious bent I regard the senseless killing of animals as an offense against God.
franco b

Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

PostBy: freetown fred On: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:49 am

Much more spiritual then religious my old friend. Lest we forget the sacrificial lamb ;)
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

PostBy: rberq On: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:22 am

NoSmoke wrote:Roosters have nothing to do with the ovulation of hens, just as a single woman still has her menstrual period whether she has a man around or not.

When she does, it's easier on the man if he's not. :|
rberq

Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300
Coal Size/Type: Nut -- Kimmel/Blaschak/Reading
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators, propane

PostBy: samhill On: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:29 am

I think I found the real reason for the demise of the rooster, it has trained NS's chickens to hustle the pool sharks out of their bacon & wasn't cutting him in. The truth will always come out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOdG6Bq8x0A
samhill

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75

PostBy: franco b On: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:49 am

freetown fred wrote: Lest we forget the sacrificial lamb

Good point. An example of totally mindless behaviour, just as whole populations are sometimes sacrificed for the greater good.
franco b

Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

PostBy: freetown fred On: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:55 am

Some days it surely seems we are on that path-- :( I'll leave that for the gloom & doomers though .>)
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

PostBy: Rick 386 On: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:50 pm

I sure as hell don't want this place to go totally roosterless................

Especially since I am the last rooster !!!!! They even eliminated the chicken rooster last fall.

So here on the compound it is only me, the mother in law, the wife, the sister in law and her daughter......................

Since I'm the only one to operate the equipment around here, I guess i have a little job security.

Rick
Rick 386

Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

PostBy: Rwalker On: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:52 am

One of my male rabbits bit my son on the leg a month ago. Probably shouldnt have put him in the pen with it, but he wanted to pet it and up until then it had been very docile. A .22 short rifle round ended his little rabbit life pretty quickly and he is now in the freezer.

We have 10 baby rabbits and 6 adults, so we are still good to go. The male was a big one, but I have 2 adult males still to carry on the food storage, plus I am sure we have a few of the babies who will be good baby makers themselves.

In another month or so I should have more on the way.

I wish we could own chickens, but my brother raises and butchers chickens and cans them, so we are going to do some trading.
Rwalker

Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 983

PostBy: rberq On: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:06 am

Rick 386 wrote: here on the compound it is only me, the mother in law, the wife, the sister in law and her daughter......................

Sounds like an explosive mixture to me. :)
rberq

Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300
Coal Size/Type: Nut -- Kimmel/Blaschak/Reading
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators, propane

PostBy: NoSmoke On: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:11 pm

I hear you Brother!!

At my farm there is little ole me (38), then a 33 year old wife, and then 4 daughters (unborn daughter due in 10 weeks), 5,6 and 7! (Keep in mind, this means 10, 15, 16, 17 year old daughters in 10 years time, and yes we plan on adding an additional bathroom). Then there are many sheep on this sheep farm, with all but one being female. Then there are 6 chickens and now no Roosters. Then there are 6 laying ducks, with one lowly ole male duck.

But I know what you guys are thinking...where the heck is the photo of the 33 year old wife! :-)

But oh yes, I can relate Rick386!

Rick 386 wrote:I sure as hell don't want this place to go totally roosterless................

Especially since I am the last rooster !!!!! They even eliminated the chicken rooster last fall.

So here on the compound it is only me, the mother in law, the wife, the sister in law and her daughter......................

Since I'm the only one to operate the equipment around here, I guess i have a little job security.

Rick
NoSmoke

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vogelzang Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler (Back-up)

PostBy: home harvest On: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:36 pm

I could live without a rooster on my place, but he has 2 primary functions beyond reproduction. I have found that without a rooster the girls tend to wander more, and I lose control. Thus my rooster actually works for me by helping keeps the girls in check. (Note: There is no hidden correlation with any other species intended, so ladies, please relax) He also tends to watch for hawks more closely than the girls. I rarely lose a hen when I have a rooster in the yard.

I rotate my chicken stock on a fairly regular basis. 2-3 years is about the max I let them live. After that I can't continue feeding them for the output I receive. My rooster lives or dies with his flock, so I've had quite a few roosters. Like the OP, I WILL NOT tolerate an aggressive animal on my place. I'm not a social worker or a shrink. I don't expect to have to understand the rooster's motivation. Some roosters turn mean, and some don't. PERIOD! The mean ones go in the freezer sooner than the normal ones. They all wind up the same place in the end, so it's just a matter of timing.

Anyone close to Bloomsburg PA is free to contact me. I should have Narragansett Turkeys, Columbian Wyandotte chickens, and Cayuga ducks hatching soon.

Russ
home harvest

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oil/Hot Water
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: Mark II