Needing advice on, How best to transport a Big Old Stove???

Needing advice on, How best to transport a Big Old Stove???

PostBy: McGiever On: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:58 pm

Greetings to all:
I am going to look at a large mica stove, possible base burner or double heater type and will likely be transporting it back home with me.

It is in great condition, as far as I can tell from pictures I've seen...so it will need to be hauled as to not cause any damage. Looks like it is ready to burn. :D
It is fairly large and most if not all metal is cast iron. 6 foot tall, I think that includes the Finale.

Is it best to do some major disassemble or not prior to transport?

Can it be left whole with easily removed parts removed and laid down horizontally with plenty of padding for the ride? Or is it best to haul it only in upright position?

Was thinking I would take some lumber and a screw gun so I could whip up a cradle to contain it, plus put wood cross bracing internal for support.

Looking for advice from those who have had some experience hauling such a stove.

TIA, McGiever
McGiever

Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN MAGNUM
Hand Fed Coal Stove: RADIANT HOME AIR BLAST
Baseburners & Antiques: OUR GLENWOOD 111 BASEBURNER "1908"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE, NUT-STOVE / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

Re: Needing advice on, How best to transport a Big Old Stove???

PostBy: dcrane On: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:26 pm

I think you have the right idea already McG. If its a 3 or 4 side mica (I saw one nice one for short money recently so maybe that's the one your going for "Jewel")... you should wrap it with some bubble and box it out with 2x3 and strapping. (take the finally off and the top load door, etc.) If its mainly cast and just a top front mica door then you just have to judge how stable it is but remember the strength of these are in their vertical position (laying them down horizontal puts stresses on things that were not supposed to take the stresses in those directions). Wishing you the best, we cant wait to see it :P
dcrane

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

PostBy: wsherrick On: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:23 am

Do not try to move the stove intact. DO NOT try it. You will risk cracking or breaking something.
The best way to move a big stove is to get some large boxes and lots of wrapping material. Remove everything on the stove that is removable. This includes the doors, ash pit door, all nickel skirts and trim, all the stove lids, the ash pan and the grates. Pack all of this stuff in the boxes.
Do not turn the stove upside down. Try to crate the stove body in an upright position. If you must lay it horizontally. It is CRUCIAL that the sides be braced so no weight is concentrated on any one part.
The base of the stove must be protected at all costs. If you crack the base plate of the stove it is ruined and I mean ruined.
In any case the stove must be protected from the shock of bouncing around. Stoves do not bounce well.
Follow the general instructions above and use your common sense. Don't be in a hurry and have plenty of man power to prevent accidents to the stove or yourself.
wsherrick

Stoker Coal Boiler: None
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: None
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: None
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: None
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: None
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Visit Hitzer Stoves

PostBy: stovepipemike On: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:50 am

These are my thoughts: #1 Have enough manpower to do the job safely.No stove in the world is worth getting hurt over. #2 Make sure you have a good appliance cart with a built in strapping feature.If you have to rent one it is worth it.#3Consider how not to leave a trail of debris across somebodys home furnishings [carpets,rugs].You might want to vac-up the stove before the move. #4 Remove every single component that can be taken apart,this will ease your lift and safeguard loose swinging parts. #5 Ease the rolling stock slowly down stairs/steps.Don't shock the cast,it doesn't like it at all. #6 Transport it in an upright position using a low trailer if possible.Take along plenty of tie down straps.Think about how Gulliver looked when the little people got done tying him up and do that.Screw 2x4's into the trailer floor to "box in" the feet so they cannot slide if you must suddenly react. Last but not least take your time,don't do a rush job on a well cared for piece of 100 year old American history. The above has worked for me and I hope you can take some piece of it to make your move a successful one. Mike
stovepipemike

Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: KAA-2

PostBy: nortcan On: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:10 pm

If possible for you to remove the feet base, it reduces the height (gravity center), the weight and the feet are not very strong they can't absorb road shocks. Let the stove in an upright position as much as possible. Put the base of the stove on a soft base so the soft material will take the shocks. Also when possible to get a mini-van it's much more soft on the road than a trailer. Remove all the parts you can remove from the stove. Take all the time you can to bring that treasure safely home.
nortcan

Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

PostBy: LsFarm On: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:08 pm

Did you get the stove transported safely??

I'd disassemble it as much as possible, like mentioned above, I'd not transport it on the legs, I think the legs are fragile,
If you are going to transport it upright, I'd make a wood base of 2x4's to take the place of the legs, don't put much weight on the flat base of the stove, this is a very thin piece of cast and will crack VERY easily.
I transported my Art Garland' on it's back, but in a big cradle of heavy packing blankets, with all the doors, firepot, lids etc packed in boxes, like the experts mentioned in prior posts.

Greg L
LsFarm

Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

PostBy: McGiever On: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:38 pm

LsFarm wrote:Did you get the stove transported safely??

I'd disassemble it as much as possible, like mentioned above, I'd not transport it on the legs, I think the legs are fragile,
If you are going to transport it upright, I'd make a wood base of 2x4's to take the place of the legs, don't put much weight on the flat base of the stove, this is a very thin piece of cast and will crack VERY easily.
I transported my Art Garland' on it's back, but in a big cradle of heavy packing blankets, with all the doors, firepot, lids etc packed in boxes, like the experts mentioned in prior posts.

Greg L

Got the Base Burner back home last Sunday.

I hauled it same as you described above, on it's back. :)

5 hour drive from home up into Michigan, and then 5 hours back. :o
McGiever

PostBy: LsFarm On: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:05 pm

Hey MG, describe the stove to me, It may be one I looked at ? Where in Michigan?? Just currious, finding a stove in my back yard and all :shock: :o :lol:

Greg L
LsFarm

Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

PostBy: McGiever On: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:43 pm

It is a 3 sides mica base burner made by Favorite Stove and Range of Piqua, Ohio..

Found it North of Detroit and Lake St Clair up I-94. ;)

I started a new Topic here>>> Add one more to the Base Burner Club
McGiever

Visit Hitzer Stoves