Maryland outlaws death penalty

Forum rules
As the title "Thoughtful and Intelligent Debates" implies we want quality discussion in this forum. If you're going to post a new topic or reply to one here please make sure it fits the following guidelines.

• Clear and descriptive title for your topic.
  • You don't need to write a book but please have a reasonable amount of material to support or dispute what you are discussing.
  • Outside references to material to support or dispute your argument can be used but they should not wholly make up your argument. If for example you reference a news article please explain exactly what you are referencing and why.
  • Stay on topic, while topics will wander in the general forums we want to keep them strictly on topic in this forum. Flaming will not be tolerated at all.

Re: Maryland outlaws death penalty

PostBy: coalkirk On: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:34 pm

They say that the death penalty does not prevent murder. That may be so but it prevents that person from commiting subsequent murders. Our Governor thinks he is going to be president one day. If you think obama is a piece of *censored*, wait till you get a load of this guy. He has raised 24 taxes and fees over the last 4+ years. He's about to raise the gas tax by a huge amount. Like 90% on diesel and 50 some % on gas. He's a lieing *censored*. Of course he wants to take our guns as well. I'm to pissed to get into the whole thing right now.
coalkirk

Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

PostBy: jpete On: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:40 pm

Rwalker wrote:
Lightning wrote:
Rwalker wrote:ride the lighting...

Nice, Metallica fan - one of their best albums 8-)

I would agree with your hypothetical example :)

I wore out 2 cassettes of Justice For All. Nothing was better in the locker room before a football game then Frayed Ends of Sanity.

That's funny. I used to listen to Megadeth "Symphony of Destruction" before my Tae Kwon Do tests. :)
jpete

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

PostBy: Richard S. On: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:11 pm

Lightning wrote: With the current technology it seems like this kind of proof would be within reach.

With the current tech it's easier to set some one up, think about that for a second.
Richard S.

Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

PostBy: NoSmoke On: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:48 pm

I think the death penalty has been a big deterrent to crime because even the most vile people have a fear of their own death.

I used to watch the Court TV Channel a lot and liked the Series "Forensic Files" which did a lot of shows on Serial Murderer's and how they were caught. One thing really emerged and that was how many Murder's spilled their guts when faced with the Death Penalty. Yes they were spared because of a plea bargain down to "Life", but by being incarcerated they prevented subsequent murders.

Another benefit from them spilling their guts was that many times to plea bargain down, they had to tell where their victims lay, and many grieving families of the ones the murder's killed, were able to have real funerals and really put their loved ones to rest because of what they said. Without a real threat to them, they would have remained silent and never said where they buried the bodies. What a waste. Victims Families need everything they can in order to move on, in my opinion. If it is the ability to put a loved member in a real grave, with a real headstone, then so be it.

I think you will find, that the threat of given the death penalty, to the ratio of people actually put on death row, is very lopsided. That is, the threat is presented a lot, and has tangible results for society. But just with any threat, it must be carried out once in awhile in order to give it any serious weight. We are a faulty world and an imperfect society, mistakes will happen, but I think as a whole, more good is derived from the death penalty, then the rare, innocent man being executed, from this form of punishment.

Now I say this as a person whose family member was wrongly accused and legally put to death in this country.

God sanctions the death penalty in the bible, even when it is replete with innocent people who are wrongly executed, so who am I to say that it should be replaced with something gentler? More importantly, who are we to say that that it should be replaced with something gentler?

Woe to a society that thinks in its imperfect state, it can find a better system then God's plan on crime and punishment.
NoSmoke

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vogelzang Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler (Back-up)

PostBy: Rwalker On: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:58 pm

Whenever I think we have it bad, I think of my friends in MD and realize it could be much worse. When we travel to GA, we purposely by-pass MD because it is the only state between here and there that doesnt recoginize my CCW. Liberal b*tches.

I had that Megadeath album as well. Wore it out in the car...good driving music!

Nosmoke: excellent points.
Rwalker

Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 983

PostBy: DieselBob On: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm

coalkirk wrote:Our Governor thinks he is going to be president one day. If you think obama is a piece of *censored*, wait till you get a load of this guy. He has raised 24 taxes and fees over the last 4+ years. He's about to raise the gas tax by a huge amount. Like 90% on diesel and 50 some % on gas. He's a lieing *censored*. Of course he wants to take our guns as well. I'm to pissed to get into the whole thing right now.

Let me correct those typo's for you

coalkirk wrote:Our Governor will be president one day and If you think obama is a piece of *censored*, wait till you get a load of this guy. He has raised 24 taxes and fees over the last 4+ years. He's about to raise the gas tax by a huge amount. Like 90% on diesel and 50 some % on gas. He's a lieing *censored*. Of course he will take our guns as well. I'm to pissed to get into the whole thing right now.
DieselBob

PostBy: coalkirk On: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:40 am

I hope you are wrong. That would cause me to consider becoming an expatriot.
coalkirk

Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

PostBy: DieselBob On: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:38 pm

Two pieces of human excrement in BRUNSWICK, GA shoot a child in the head and if that happened here in the Peoples Republic of Maryland we couldn't hang the S.O.B's. Nice going spineless legislature. I hope you sleep well at night.
DieselBob

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:23 am

coalkirk wrote:I hope you are wrong. That would cause me to consider becoming an expatriot.

Correction that would cause you to be more of a patriot and fight more against the anti-patriots in office. That would be more my guess anyway.
Flyer5

Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

PostBy: jpete On: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:09 pm

An expat is someone who moves out of the country. :)

I've been considering it a while myself.
jpete

PostBy: lsayre On: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:57 am

jpete wrote:An expat is someone who moves out of the country. :)

I've been considering it a while myself.

The wife and I have also had discussions regarding this.
lsayre

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13 KW)

PostBy: Rwalker On: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:17 am

To quote the words of the great Ted Nugent:

"The whole world sucks, but America sucks a little less!"

No plans to go anywhere for me. We will need some patriots around to help rebuild this place! ;)
Rwalker

Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 983

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:44 pm

Nice Rw, but--it would be nice to sort out the talkers from the true PATRIOTS early in the game so they don't get under foot.
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

PostBy: jpete On: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:19 pm

I have a friend that takes extended stays in Belize. Seems like a nice place...
jpete

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:24 pm

They've also got an outstanding zoo, but it ain't hardly home ;)
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix