Noisy Taco flocheck

Re: Noisy Taco flocheck

PostBy: stovepipemike On: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:47 am

I also tried the dead weight hammer approach but for me it did zip.Then I just had to have a look at the internals of the flowcheck. I field stripped it and found a seating disc with a very free moving clearance type fit. Nothing to be gained by looking at parts that were not rusted up,and free to move when motivated by pressure differences.Thats when it dawned on me that in my particular instance it had to be some type of a flow condition. Mike
stovepipemike

Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: KAA-2

PostBy: waldo lemieux On: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:35 am

Mike,

I heard this said before and maybe it really works, Get a bigger hammer :rofl: sorry ,I couldn't help myself, its been a long winter....

Waldo
waldo lemieux

Stove/Furnace Make: efm
Stove/Furnace Model: s-20

PostBy: Don On: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:06 pm

Mine is piped the way Dan Holohan shows in his book pumping away, and it rattles.
Don

Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker k-2
Stove/Furnace Model: utica starfire

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

PostBy: jpete On: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:18 pm

Rob R. wrote:Air in the system can also cause flow checks to rattle. This situation can occur with the circulator on either side of the boiler...but it is somewhat easier to rid the system of air with the circulators on the supply side.

:idea: Another "old rule" is to have at least 12" of straight pipe before and after the circulator to reduce turbulence.

Not sure about the circulator, but the rule is to have 18" of straight pipe before the air scoop to reduce turbulence. I was just at a class and took a tour of Taco last week.

EDIT: I just emailed the trainer at Taco and quoted the OP. If I get an answer, I'll pass it on here.
jpete

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

PostBy: Don On: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:44 am

jpete wrote:
Rob R. wrote:Air in the system can also cause flow checks to rattle. This situation can occur with the circulator on either side of the boiler...but it is somewhat easier to rid the system of air with the circulators on the supply side.

:idea: Another "old rule" is to have at least 12" of straight pipe before and after the circulator to reduce turbulence.

Not sure about the circulator, but the rule is to have 18" of straight pipe before the air scoop to reduce turbulence. I was just at a class and took a tour of Taco last week.

EDIT: I just emailed the trainer at Taco and quoted the OP. If I get an answer, I'll pass it on here.

I have 18 inches for the air scoop and 12 inches for flo check. I put in a 3 speed Cir and they now they rattle according to the speed of the cir.I hope the trainer gets back to you.
Don

PostBy: Yanche On: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:46 pm

I have the same noise issue with weighted flow checks. In my opinion weighted flow checks are not the preferred design. If a check is needed a spring loaded plastic one is the better choice. It's silent. There are two styles, in the circulator or in the circulator flange. I prefer the latter.

The claimed advantage of some weighted flow check was the ability to manually turn a knob and have gravity flow. This advantage is of no value today, because we don't have massive coal fired boilers with lots of thermal energy to supply flow when there's no electricity. Today it's pumps and electric operated stokers.
Yanche

Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

PostBy: Don On: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:33 am

Yanche wrote:I have the same noise issue with weighted flow checks. In my opinion weighted flow checks are not the preferred design. If a check is needed a spring loaded plastic one is the better choice. It's silent. There are two styles, in the circulator or in the circulator flange. I prefer the latter.

The claimed advantage of some weighted flow check was the ability to manually turn a knob and have gravity flow. This advantage is of no value today, because we don't have massive coal fired boilers with lots of thermal energy to supply flow when there's no electricity. Today it's pumps and electric operated stokers.

That sounds like a good fix I would like to get the flange flow check so if it fails I won't have to buy a new circulator. Do you have any info on the flange type, I can't seem to find them.
Don

PostBy: Yanche On: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:32 am

Pex Supply

Here's the one for 3/4":

http://www.pexsupply.com/Wilo-2705085-3 ... Flange-Set

They have other sizes. It's the most economical solution for a flow control problem. Allows you to use the less expensive circulator without flow checks. The check valve can be removed from the flange if you don't need it.
Yanche

Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

PostBy: jpete On: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:51 am

Got a couple emails back this morning. Here they are FWIW.

You are right, there isn’t a lot to go on here, but that’s the fun part of this job it think. Put on the detective hat and jump in.

My initial thought was “ OK, they may have only changed the boiler, but was an air elimination device installed, where is it compared to before and where is the expansion tank and what size is it?”

The original questions was is it low flow or air? It may be neither, it may be low pressure in the system. You could get low pressure in the system from air.

Lots of things to look at here

Another thing to think about with a floChek or any thing for that matter in a system, when you try to re-use components in a system, there could be an incredible amount of crud that settled in the old system, now it is all dislodged and floating around

This doesn't help at all but at least he got back to me....
jpete

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

PostBy: JRDepew On: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:04 am

I'm guessing it is air...When I was having my air in the plumbing problems the flo-check would rattle loudly when the air slug was moving through that part of the system. Pumping away and installing the expansion tank solved my problems and my system is now very quiet.

Joe
JRDepew

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350

PostBy: dh1200s On: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:28 am

AKHEARTH

I redid my entire system when I installed my WL110K boiler. I’m primary/secondary loop setup and use Webstone isolation flanges with Spring Check Valves on Taco 007 pumps secondary loops and the primary loop 007 pump.

They are more expensive but the combo makes it easy to isolate the pump and check valve if you need to work on either down the road…….no rattles or ghost flow in my system. http://www.pexsupply.com/Webstone-52403-3-4-Full-Port-Brass-Isolator-Uni-Flange-Ball-Valve-w-Integral-Spring-Check

I also use Webstone Isolation Valves with drain port for system purge.

My original system installed (1979) by the builder was bare bones nothing was easy to break into for maintenance/replacement.

Pics of the Isolation flange with spring check valve removed……. a real easy job to replace it or the pump if needed.

http://nepacrossroads.com/download/file.php?id=37539&mode=view

http://nepacrossroads.com/download/file.php?id=37538&mode=view

My pump board early part of install;

http://nepacrossroads.com/download/file.php?id=37386&mode=view

Good luck on quieting down your system.........Dick
dh1200s

Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL-110
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: HS-Tarm 202
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000

Visit Lehigh Anthracite