Coffee 3-23-13

Coffee 3-23-13

PostBy: Freddy On: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:00 am

Good morning. Come in, the coffee is fresh & hot & there's plenty of it. Coffee cups on the left, tea cups on the right. I'm thinking home fries, eggs & toast. Double home fries! I can't get enough.

Seems to me the ground hog was some kind of wrong this year. It's been six weeks since the rodent said "early Spring". Day before yesterday we had 14 inches of heavy snow and yesterday morning was 7 degrees! It's tough for daffodils to push through that. I think I've used more coal in the last two weeks than I did in January. Crazy year. Hopefully when Spring comes it'll come hard & fast. Hmmm... I guess the fast ship has sailed. OK, change that.... I hope when Spring comes it will go straight to 73* days & 50* nights.

It looks like UAE is very close to closing. Sad to see another mine close. We need the jobs...we need the coal.

Hope you all have a smooth and productive weekend. Hug your loved ones and forward we go!
Freddy

Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Re: Coffee 3-23-13

PostBy: Duengeon master On: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:43 am

Good morning Freddy. Thanks for the coffee!! You ain't kidding about that!!! That groundhog has a bounty on his head!!! I tried to call UAE yesterday, but no answer. So I went to Superior instead. Hopefully 1,100 lbs will finish the season for me.

It is so cold that I can't even take my new GF out on my motorcycle yet!!! :(
Attachments
252.jpg
(31.38 KiB) Viewed 30 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]41264[/nepathumb]
Duengeon master

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite pea and nut mix. Bituminous lump

PostBy: Lightning On: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:55 am

Hey Freddy! Thanks for the offer on breakfast, but at the sight of D M's new hottie, I'm afraid I've lost my appetite hahaha.

Are these anthracite mines that keep closing? Is it anything we need to worry about?
Lightning

Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Stove Size Mix

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:08 am

Mornin people--just coffee here Freddy, I was really looking fwd to a good Freddy & Marty breakfast also Lightning--BUT THEN--I saw Dungeon Masters girlfriend & seriously lost my appetite, I just hope I can even get this coffee down--hows that go??? warmth in the winter & shade in the summer. She certainly is a looker DM-- :eek2: :clap: toothy Have a good week end all--where the hell is my PEPTO???
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

PostBy: Rob R. On: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:19 am

Good morning. Where the hell is spring? It is 19 degrees, windy, and I am still burning some serious coal...I have plenty, but it is always nice to have a buffer for next year.

The Subaru sure had a good week to prove itself. Wet 'n sticky snow for three days, and it handled it perfectly. 28.8 MPG on the first tank, which is pretty I impressive compared to the other cars I have owned.
Rob R.

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

PostBy: lowfog01 On: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:53 am

Morning all,

Nothing for me this morning, thanks. I don’t know what’s going on with the weather!? We are running 10* below the average and are expecting snow for tomorrow into Monday. Fortunately, that still puts our days in the mid to low 50* and if it warms up earlier enough in the day I can continue switching the hives around. The bees need 4 or 5 hours to cluster and rebuild enough heat for the night after I’ve messed with them.

I spent yesterday splitting the hive in two and putting one in the other Top Bar Hive. After spending all that time marking the queen a couple weekends ago, I still couldn’t locate her to make sure she stayed behind but I think, I hope, she did. I’ll know real soon if not. :( The 3 lbs package of bees I brought for the second hive went in smoothly enough and now both hives have approximately the same number of bees. In a couple of weeks they should be of equal strength and making me honey. I hope. One thing I've learned about bees is that you can do everything right and the bees can still die.

My mom is making her first airplane flight today when she comes to visit for spring break. She’s been a lot of places around the US but my parents always drove. I often marvel that my grandmother never went beyond 100 miles of her home in rural Iowa due to the time and cost of travel. She’d never recognize the country now.

Anyway, I’m still getting ready for Mom’s visit so I better get going. I hope everyone get something done on the “to do” list today. Take care and stay warm, Lisa
lowfog01

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

PostBy: anthony7812 On: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:53 am

Once again left over cold pizza and out the door to start the weekend shift. New windows installed yesterday, didnt touch my stove to see how big a change in temp i will see. I started prior to install with about 68 in the house. Dropped down to about 60 ish when they replaced windows which i knew was gonna happen but little one and momma went out shopping for the day so no complaints. Had a shake down last night and reloaded NO DRAFT ADJUSTMENT, this morning I have 72. Outside temps yesterday morning where around 22/23 degrees, this morning 24. What a different windows make wow. Nice 4 degree temp increase. Wonder how much may be saved next heating season. Looking forward to it.
anthony7812

Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

PostBy: lsayre On: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:56 am

18 degrees here. 1st coffee of the morning down, and heading for a second. The bacon is frying on our new fangled single burner "induction" stove. I got it on sale for all of $48 and free shipping. It cooks via magnetism instead of heat. The unit remains cold but the stuff in the pan sitting on it cooks away happily. Supposedly all the rage for a number of years in Europe, but not all that well known here. Supposedly it uses a lot less electricity. It's only 1,400 watts max, vs. I believe 4,000 watts max for our normal electric stove-top burners. They make entire stove-tops that cook via induction now, but those units are expensive.
lsayre

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW)

PostBy: samhill On: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:04 am

Just a cup to go for, for some reason I have no desire for food right now. :sick: 18* & I'll be helping pull my well pump in a couple of hours, must have a leak in the well line the pump runs but with very little pressure. Not a good year so far first trouble with the septic & now the well, at least that's two things I won't have to worry about. Hope everyone has enough coal for awhile, I'll be shutting down soon & going back to propain unless it stays this cold & then I'll get a few more bags to keep the coal fire, always something.
samhill

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75

PostBy: KLook On: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:23 am

Morning all, been checking in but not weighing in much. thanks for the coffee Freddy, it is needed down here even. Just plain cold all over the country. Grass is greening up and flowers and trees blooming but it just wont let go. Going to a pee wee b-ball game later in the morning, should bring back memories of reffing them for years. Raining all weekend here, not much to do. I have a bid in on a Fannie Mae foreclosure and we think we are strong contenders. Then the work begins.

Kevin
KLook

Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF 3000
Coal Size/Type: rice, bagged, Blaschak
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman (Back In Maine)
Stove/Furnace Model: VF 3000

PostBy: dcrane On: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:41 am

KLook wrote:Morning all, been checking in but not weighing in much. thanks for the coffee Freddy, it is needed down here even. Just plain cold all over the country. Grass is greening up and flowers and trees blooming but it just wont let go. Going to a pee wee b-ball game later in the morning, should bring back memories of reffing them for years. Raining all weekend here, not much to do. I have a bid in on a Fannie Mae foreclosure and we think we are strong contenders. Then the work begins.

Kevin

grass N flowers? :shock: I cant see the grass N flowers through all the damb half a foot of snow still laying across my yard :mad: :mad: :mad:

Fannie Mae... I sure hope your gonna be an owner occupant (some idiot in DC believes its not as important to allow builders and rehabbers to earn a living and supply jobs to others across the country in order that those folks can then also buy homes). They at times to me appear to be prejudice against those who wish to earn a living and supply jobs and re-sell these abused foreclosures.
dcrane

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

PostBy: Hambden Bob On: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:49 am

Jesus H, Christ,DungeonMaster.......I,....I..I...I can't go any further......... :flush:
Hambden Bob

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni !

PostBy: anthony7812 On: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:23 am

Hambden Bob wrote:Jesus H, Christ,DungeonMaster.......I,....I..I...I can't go any further......... :flush:

I like her dimples, take a close look you might find a few :woot: :shifty: :poke:
anthony7812

Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

PostBy: jpete On: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:42 am

Getting ready to take a hike in the woods with my sons Boy Scout troop. With any luck, I'll spot some good place to go spring turkey hunting. :)
jpete

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:56 am

Hey Jeff, "don't shoot your eye out" ;) Ya want spring turkeys? I've got fields of them, 5 to 14" beards. :rambo3:
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix