torrefied wood.

Re: torrefied wood.

PostBy: dcrane On: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:53 pm

waldo lemieux wrote:Sounds to me a lot like using diesel to run farm equipment to plant and harvest corn , Then squeeze the corn to make more diesel or ferment it to make ethanol. Negative energy scenario ! Are they gonna burn coal to make the electricity to run the microwave? Enviromorons..... :roll:

this explains how the proccess supposedly supports the energy all by itself http://newbiomass.com/our-products/torrefied-wood/

sounds good in theory... wood waste=free, energy to make it into torrified wood= free...does this mean the product will be cheaper then the current rediculous prices of bagged pellets (I think not). I wonder if they will blow up like lil' balloons of uselessness if a drop of water hits them? (that might be a big advantage if its more stable, etc.). Can these be burned in current rice coal stokers (that might be an advantage to get people in states outside PA to give coal a chance :idea: )

I found some more products being made with this proccess after reading this thread http://www.lemieuxdoors.com/en/torrefied-wood/
dcrane

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

PostBy: KLook On: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:09 pm

Interesting read, but Maine is the wrong place to make it. There is a tremendous amount of "biomass" down here. I saw amazing amounts of unused wood laying on the ground in Kentucky last spring and I see huge amounts here in Tenn, and GA. Plus, energy to power the process is half what it is in Maine. Maine is just ripe for this kind of project to rip off the people and taxpayer.

Kevin
KLook

Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF 3000
Coal Size/Type: rice, bagged, Blaschak
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman (Back In Maine)
Stove/Furnace Model: VF 3000

PostBy: Lightning On: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:34 pm

All that work to make a fuel? How the hell could that even be economical.....
Lightning

Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut Size / White Ash

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

PostBy: dcrane On: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:26 am

Lightning wrote:All that work to make a fuel? How the hell could that even be economical.....

whats ironic is they are trying to produce a fuel that more closely resembles the attributes of COAL! :cry: Do they not realize we not only have the best coal in the entire world right here under our feet but more of it then we could ever use and the beauty is.... ITS ALL MADE ALREADY! :lol:
dcrane

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

PostBy: michaelanthony On: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:32 am

dcrane wrote:
Lightning wrote:All that work to make a fuel? How the hell could that even be economical.....

whats ironic is they are trying to produce a fuel that more closely resembles the attributes of COAL! :cry: Do they not realize we not only have the best coal in the entire world right here under our feet but more of it then we could ever use and the beauty is.... ITS ALL MADE ALREADY! :lol:

....it's being shipped to Europe and the United Kingdom.
michaelanthony

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box, vogelzang pot belly
Coal Size/Type: Pea, and a little nut
Other Heating: Very cold FHA oil furnace

PostBy: McGiever On: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:46 pm

TORREFIED WOOD is the same product as LUMP Charcoal...sometimes referred to as Cowboy Charcoal.

Let's see:
Free raw material in...zero energy input required to produce sell-able product= Very large PROFIT.
And we have very big markets overseas.

Government, Can you help us?
McGiever

Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN MAGNUM
Hand Fed Coal Stove: RADIANT HOME AIR BLAST
Baseburners & Antiques: OUR GLENWOOD 111 BASEBURNER "1908"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE, NUT-STOVE / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

Visit Lehigh Anthracite