Kenmore coal stove, need help

Kenmore coal stove, need help

PostBy: lincolnmania On: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:08 pm

we keep losing the shaker grate on my roomates kenmore, but i cant find any information on this stove as who made it or when......the grate broke a couple yrs ago and we bolted it together with a piece of steel but the grate keeps coming unlocked.......well better than explaining it, i made a video.......anyone know if i can get parts for this beast?
lincolnmania

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: efm af-150 1982
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986
Hand Fed Coal Stove: warm morning 1980 kenmore

Re: Kenmore coal stove, need help

PostBy: wsherrick On: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:22 pm

That style of grate is called a, "Duplex," grate. Google Woodmans parts plus and locate the replacement grate there. The gear must be removed from the old grate. Just pull out the cotter pin holding the gear and take the gear off of the old grate and put it on the new one, get a new cotter pin from the Hardware store for a nickel and replace the old one.
Kenmore stoves were made for Sears by several companies. You should replace all the old grates with a new set. These are common grates and you should have no problem replacing them.
wsherrick

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

PostBy: lincolnmania On: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:36 pm

thanks for the link, i checked there but nothing quite the right size
lincolnmania

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: efm af-150 1982
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986
Hand Fed Coal Stove: warm morning 1980 kenmore

Visit Hitzer Stoves

PostBy: wsherrick On: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:12 pm

If you can't find a replacement grate that is the right size then the only alternative is to have a new grate cast at a Foundry using the original grate to make a pattern from. Tomahawk Foundry in Wisconsin specializes in making stove parts. Casting grates is done everyday. You can find them on the Web and contact them for prices and turn around time. Again I would have the entire set of grates replaced since you don't really know how much longer the other original grates will last. It shouldn't cost too much to have them make some new ones for you.
wsherrick

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

PostBy: thepaguy On: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:01 pm

i have one just like yours. its a model 101 100431. i just pulled it out of my chicken coop . what do you have to use to move the grates? is there a place for a tool? i can`t figure out how to use them other than using welding gloves and twisting the gears by hand.
Attachments
IMG_0094.JPG
(325.03 KiB) Viewed 35 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]30298[/nepathumb]
IMG_0099.JPG
(236.77 KiB) Viewed 12 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]30299[/nepathumb]
thepaguy

Stove/Furnace Make: Kenmore
Stove/Furnace Model: 100 100431

PostBy: franco b On: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:27 pm

Looking at the video it seems the hanger brackets might move enough to get the gears to mesh.

Looking at the other end you can see that the grate end is shaped to take a crank or tool with a hole of that shape. That would require it to be shook from the back of the stove, unless they are back to front and the gears belong in the back.
franco b

Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

PostBy: thepaguy On: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:31 pm

i found a site that has the part you need but its pretty expensive. heres the site if you wanna take a look. http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/68/cat ... rence.html like i said its a model 101 100431
thepaguy

PostBy: thepaguy On: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:33 pm

thepaguy wrote:i found a site that has the part you need but its pretty expensive. heres the site if you wanna take a look. http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/68/cat ... rence.html like i said its a model 101 100431
click on the camera to see a pic of it.
thepaguy

PostBy: SteveZee On: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:05 am

That sure looks like the same grate to me.
SteveZee

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

PostBy: adamj17 On: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:59 am

Hi I have the same 1 fully complete never used but cosmect rust...im tryna sell it dnt know where 2 sell it..n if its worth more restored...please respo.d need answer for its value
adamj17

Stove/Furnace Make: kenmore
Stove/Furnace Model: handfired wood coal stove

PostBy: dcrane On: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:35 am

adamj17 wrote:Hi I have the same 1 fully complete never used but cosmect rust...im tryna sell it dnt know where 2 sell it..n if its worth more restored...please respo.d need answer for its value

This is an old thread so the original poster i would assume worked out his grate issue, the best place to post your stove for sale would be creigslist, you can also put it on ebay (for local pick up only), you can also post in this forum here Miscellaneous Items For Sale. I dont believe that stove has a lot of value to justify restoring it (clean it up, take some pictures and throw it on GL)... If it functions and all the parts their I would ask a few hundred bucks and take any reasonable offer that came in the door.

You would make more money by burning coal during the winter in that baby :idea: Best of Luck and feel free to join the forum's here at NepaCrossroads anytime ;)
dcrane

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Visit Hitzer Stoves