Okay, I Think This Will Be The Last One, Maybe.

Re: Okay, I Think This Will Be The Last One, Maybe.

PostBy: chrisbuick On: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:49 am

William - I just want to add my congratulations to the growing list of members. I've posted a number of questions within the last few months and you (and other kind members) have always been very generous with your help and answers. I really appreciate this forum and the fine information and encouragement it provides.

Onto another point - I too am on the lookout for a good base heater and am scouring the local ads. I just picked-up a Glenwood Cherubs 19 parlor stove locally. I got it as a parts stove for $30.00. They're particularly nice, and I figured someone might need parts from it. While loading, the owner asked me if I'd be interested in an unrestored ornate kitchen range. I said not really, but I'll take a look at it anyway. Well, when I saw it I almost fainted. It was a Charm Crawford range LOADED with nickel trim. He had gotten it from an elderly lady who was selling the family home (he's a realtor). It's in pieces, but appears complete with no cracks and the original Crawford Dockash grates in place. He offered it to me for $600, but I did a little negotiating. I'm leaving for Mexico next weekend, but he said he'd hold it for me!

I've attached shots of the same models. My Cherubs 19 is missing the top hat, a knob and has a broken corner on the base. Otherwise it's perfect

Walker & Pratt's Crawford factory was about a mile from where I grew up (Newton Mass.) across the Charles River.

I'm real excited. I'm hoping Emery can do the Charm Crawford justice maybe this summer, but I'll have to wait on the nickel till later.

Of course, I'm still making payments on the Glenwood Oak 40.

I now have a Cabinet Glenwood base unit and the Glenwood 19 parlor stove for parts if anyone's interested. I'd like to put them to use.

I'll keep scouring the woods for that elusive base heater, but need a breather!

Regards - Chris
Attachments
Glenwood Parlor1.jpg
(44.59 KiB) Viewed 22 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]41491[/nepathumb]
Charm Crawford3.jpg
(78.93 KiB) Viewed 23 times
[nepathumb]41492[/nepathumb]
Last edited by chrisbuick on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisbuick

Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 6, Crawford No.2 & 3, Hub Heater 115, City Glenwood 12
Other Heating: Oil
Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood S & A Stewart etc
Stove/Furnace Model: No. 6 , Acme Carbon, Hub Heatr

PostBy: Photog200 On: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:59 am

Hello Dave, welcome to the site. I too am new to burning coal, I just started in February. This forum has helped me out so much and I plan to stick around an maybe someday I will be able to repay the favor of all the help I received. I think what is sometimes frustrating to some of the people on here is that people come to the site and get their answers and they are gone. Obviously not all new members are like that, so please do not be offended if you saw some of that frustration. I know it was not directed at you.

Randy
Photog200

Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & Geneva Oak Andes #517
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

PostBy: wsherrick On: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:31 am

The Crawford is coming together. It won't be long now.
Attachments
485306_243419845801487_1321553101_n.jpg
(25.1 KiB) Viewed 45 times
Back view of Crawford with brand new barrel fitted.
[nepathumb]41557[/nepathumb]
149072_243420325801439_1700973876_n.jpg
(61.02 KiB) Viewed 68 times
Crawford is upside down as front casting is fitted on new barrel.
[nepathumb]41558[/nepathumb]
2013-03-22 16.23.24.jpg
(161.13 KiB) Viewed 43 times
Original bricks reinforced with refractory cement.
[nepathumb]41559[/nepathumb]
66875_243420075801464_692092831_n.jpg
(37.75 KiB) Viewed 42 times
New Barrel rolled and cut for front casting piece.
[nepathumb]41560[/nepathumb]
wsherrick

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Visit Hitzer Stoves

PostBy: dcrane On: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:58 am

great pics!!! keep em commin' , I still have not heard about what they use to replace all the nuts and bolts (is their some historic equivalent or do they just go with quality new stuff and paint the heads black with the stove painting)?

I guess by design these parlor stoves have a super thin gauge barrel (to radiate heat super effectivly) and thats why it would be very difficult to run a fast bead the length of that main seam without distortion unless your a very experienced welder (but it appears like 2 more rivets may be in order?)

I cant wait to see how the refractory cement holds up (how thick is the layer over the original firebrick? was it etched or grooved prior to covering it?) There must be companies that make new firebrick for these stoves? I made firebrick molds for my Crane 44's and the concept is the same, the only thing needed is the thickness desired and the diameter of the firebox (ill post some photo's of how its done after the sun rises). If nobodys doing this currently someone should start! made a new thread that may help with firebrick Making new firebrick for your old stove
dcrane

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

PostBy: EarlH On: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:32 pm

wsherrick wrote:
franco b wrote:Congratulations. With your love of these old stoves you need another from time to time. Something to take you back to the days when steam was king. What a fine example that stove is with the original bricks.

One of the aspects of this stove that sold me on it was that on top of it being absolutely complete with original bricks with the Crawford name molded into them; was that Jimmy informed me that the castings were unusually crisp and sharp. He believes that these castings were from the early part of the run when the iron was first poured, hence the excellent condition of the details. Also no rust pitting or any cracks, etc. With all of that positive information, how could I not acquire this stove?

You know, I dragged home a Crawford cook-stove a few months ago and the castings are all beautiful on the thing. They must have paid attention to that when they were making them. It all fits together really nicely and even though it's not as heavy as some other cook-stoves I've been around, it sure is nicely detailed and should be a really nice cook-stove once I get it back together. That heater you are working on sure is nice looking. Crawford made some very nice looking, well thought out stoves it seems. Good luck with it now! Earl.
EarlH

Baseburners & Antiques: Favorite 261, Columbian Joy A2
Coal Size/Type: Favorite-16" firepot; Columbian Joy-12"

PostBy: Photog200 On: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:28 pm

William, is the Crawford a suspended pot like your small Glenwood. It looks like there are holes in the pot for the suspension rods. You are absolutely right about the suspension pot stoves being so efficient. The Kineo burns everything, all that comes out when shaken is powder. I am having other issues with the Kineo but not with the operation / burning part of it.

Randy
Photog200

Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & Geneva Oak Andes #517

PostBy: stovehospital On: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:46 pm

Your last stove. I don't think so. I bought my last stove about 1980 and that was long before I had to build another barn for more stoves. You just can't escape from the dreaded coal stove disease.
stovehospital

Stove/Furnace Make: 250 stoves in barns
Stove/Furnace Model: #6 Herald baseheater

PostBy: wsherrick On: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:13 am

stovehospital wrote:Your last stove. I don't think so. I bought my last stove about 1980 and that was long before I had to build another barn for more stoves. You just can't escape from the dreaded coal stove disease.

Well, I know of at least one more. You have have that No 13 which someday will be done when the parts appear. I have faith. I haven't forgotten about it.
wsherrick

PostBy: wsherrick On: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:59 pm

Photog200 wrote:William, is the Crawford a suspended pot like your small Glenwood. It looks like there are holes in the pot for the suspension rods. You are absolutely right about the suspension pot stoves being so efficient. The Kineo burns everything, all that comes out when shaken is powder. I am having other issues with the Kineo but not with the operation / burning part of it.

Randy

Yes, the Crawford is very similar in design to the Our Glenwood Base Heaters. We haven't seen any pictures of your stove installed. Plus if you are having learning curve issues, how can we help you unless you tell us about what is going on?
wsherrick

PostBy: Photog200 On: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:18 pm

wsherrick wrote:
Photog200 wrote:William, is the Crawford a suspended pot like your small Glenwood. It looks like there are holes in the pot for the suspension rods. You are absolutely right about the suspension pot stoves being so efficient. The Kineo burns everything, all that comes out when shaken is powder. I am having other issues with the Kineo but not with the operation / burning part of it.

Randy

Yes, the Crawford is very similar in design to the Our Glenwood Base Heaters. We haven't seen any pictures of your stove installed. Plus if you are having learning curve issues, how can we help you unless you tell us about what is going on?

I have not had the time to take any photos yet but will soon. I want to redo the whole hearth area as well this summer if I get a chance.

The issues I am having with the stove are not operational as it is very easy to operate. When they did the restoration, it looks like they cemented the access panel down for the base burner area under the ash pan. I found some steel wool inside the jacket area around the ash pan where the check damper is located in there. That is why I tried to get into the base area to make sure that area was clear too but could not get the lid out. The nickel is pealing a little off the finial (which I did not notice in the store) The secondary air control knob is loose too, which is something I will be able to take care of myself. I called Bryant's and told them about the panel and they suggested I try to gently pry it up...if I cannot then he suggested I bring it back and he will tear it apart again. That sounds easier than it is to do...I live in Central NY up near Lake Ontario which is an 8 hour drive to their place in Maine and if I have to leave it that means another trip to pick it back up. I may have to do the tear down myself.

As far as operation goes, the stove is VERY efficient and is very controllable. I put coal in it last night at 6:00pm and just put a couple more scoops tonight at 6:00pm and it was still half full of coal. It is idling at about 150°- 200°f. I was not sure if I would loose draft because it got up to 56°f outside today but it kept chugging along.
Photog200

PostBy: dcrane On: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:17 pm

"It is idling at about 150°- 200°f. I was not sure if I would loose draft because it got up to 56°f outside today but it kept chugging along."

This is what William is always trying to teach us about the ability's of a good baseburner to continue to chug along :P Nice to see you enjoying it bro :up:
dcrane

PostBy: Photog200 On: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:54 pm

William, the reasons I did not originally say what was wrong with the stove was:
1. I did not want to hijack your thread by posting information about my stove.
2. I did not want it to come across as Bryant Stove Works bashing because that was not my intent.

I am going to post a follow up to my last post over on my thread about the Kineo stove
Photog200

PostBy: echos67 On: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:51 am

Uncle William the stove is coming along great, a brand new stove when it is complete !

I am still around Pierre :lol:
echos67

Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood No. 6.

PostBy: wsherrick On: Sun May 05, 2013 4:14 am

Here is the Crawford 40 all done and soon it will be in my living room. I'm very happy with the way it turned out. It is stove polished rubbed over flat paint as I requested.
Attachments
Crawford front.jpg
(13.01 KiB) Viewed 109 times
Crawford 40 all restored.
[nepathumb]41980[/nepathumb]
crawford inside.jpg
(21.46 KiB) Viewed 52 times
Inside restored with original fire bricks.
[nepathumb]41981[/nepathumb]
wsherrick

PostBy: dcrane On: Sun May 05, 2013 6:14 am

I just love that matte hand rubbed finish! looks fantasic :clap:
dcrane

Visit Hitzer Stoves