What to do with this?

What to do with this?

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:46 pm

The top step was removed so the new front door could be put in. What I'd like to do is put a small deck on and I'm assuming I'd need some sort of footing which would also mean in NJ I'll probably need a permit. Unless there is some thing where I don't because I'm replacing a porch? Not really sure. There are a lot of rocks and boulders whoch would make footings really fun to put in. Suggestions?
Attachments
IMG_20130429_162810.jpg
(237.83 KiB) Viewed 46 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]41870[/nepathumb]
I'm On Fire

Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Re: What to do with this?

PostBy: crazy4coal On: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:11 pm

Your gonna need a permit if you put a deck on, with a footing insp. The steps look like they where for the front porch that was closed in to make an addition. When the front door was installed they filled in the top step for the door sill. If your putting on a porch dig the footing holes out away from the old stairs a ways, you may get away from the rocks that were used for the base of the old steps and just make the new deck that big. This is NJ and you can't take a leak in you backyard without a permit!
crazy4coal

Stove/Furnace Make: buderus
Stove/Furnace Model: logana

PostBy: titleist1 On: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:21 pm

Here are a few ideas....

If that is a rim joist under the door and it is in good shape I would through-bolt a ledger board onto it and then you don't have to dig post holes next to the foundation. If you cant get to the other side of the rim joist then use lag bolts. If it is not a rim joist then you will need post holes on the house side. Make sure to use SS hardware, galvanized stuff doesn't like the new PT lumber. A few post holes on the opposite side filled with concrete with an anchor bolt (however many as needed based on the size you are building) and 6x6 posts on those cut to accept the other beam. Run your joists between the ledger board and the beam, deck boards on top of them. I don't set the posts in the concrete, but on top of the concrete using standoffs that are bolted to the concrete. If you have to use galvanized hangers, isolate them from the lumber with ice & water shield normally used on roofing. If you feel creative then run the deck boards diagonally, but you may want to space your joists at 12" rather than 16" if you do that.

Have fun with the NJ permit / inspection process!
titleist1

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite

PostBy: dcrane On: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:39 pm

pffft... the day i pulled a permit to replace an exsisting step is the day im moving to China for my freedom :lol:

Previous poster clearly knows what should be done... his steps will last you your lifetime. Its a pretty simply job and dropping in 2 sonnet tubes, throwing on a new ledger board (if that was is showing any rot at all) and then basicly making a deck on it (lag the deck to the ledger, bolt your two 6x6 to the stand offs, use hangers if you really want to do it good and boom done (It does not even appear that you need a railing their as your only 20" or so of the ground).

EDIT: looking at your pic again it... did you have a farmers porch on that house? why is that ledger showing accross the entire length of the home (or is that the acual sill?)... someone help me understand that please? :cry:
dcrane

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

PostBy: Freddy On: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:00 pm

Most places look at it this way: Maintenance does not require a permit. Improvements do.

That being said, I've seen different rules for different places. A lot of places you don't need a permit for anything that's less than $1,000.
Freddy

Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:57 am

dcrane wrote:pffft... the day i pulled a permit to replace an exsisting step is the day im moving to China for my freedom :lol:

Previous poster clearly knows what should be done... his steps will last you your lifetime. Its a pretty simply job and dropping in 2 sonnet tubes, throwing on a new ledger board (if that was is showing any rot at all) and then basicly making a deck on it (lag the deck to the ledger, bolt your two 6x6 to the stand offs, use hangers if you really want to do it good and boom done (It does not even appear that you need a railing their as your only 20" or so of the ground).

EDIT: looking at your pic again it... did you have a farmers porch on that house? why is that ledger showing accross the entire length of the home (or is that the acual sill?)... someone help me understand that please? :cry:

This house is a train wreck. That 2x10 is bolted to the original sill that was nothing more than a tree log. The whole front of the house had to come out 2" after the windows were installed. In fact in order to put the new windows in the entire front of the house had to come off. There was no 2x4 construction. When it was removed we used 2x6s. That 2x10 was put on there for a deck originally. The person who started the work was my wife's father. He passed away and its been sitting ever since. I've thought about putting the top step back on the stairs with block and stone but didn't think it looked right. Nothing in this house looks right. A bulldozer driving through it would.
I'm On Fire

PostBy: dcrane On: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:36 am

well I've always said that a farmers porch will make almost any house look 100x better! I assume this is a ranch or cape you can kill two or three birds with one stone with a farmers porch across the entire front of the house and maybe even wrap it around one side to the side door, the house would look like a totally different home, it would appear inviting, larger and give it character like no other thing you could do (at a relatively inexpensive cost since its really just a glorified deck with zero living space).

If I shown you the before and after on some houses that added a farmers porch you would be amazed at what this does to a homes look and feel.... now shut that damb xbox off and start swinging the hammer :lol:
dcrane

PostBy: titleist1 On: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:54 am

Given your description of the log for a rim joist I'd dig the post holes on the house side as well and not fasten a ledger board to the house at all. Let the deck, landing or whatever size structure you build stand on its own rather than tying it to the house.
titleist1

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite

PostBy: dcrane On: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:55 am

titleist1 wrote:Given your description of the log for a rim joist I'd dig the post holes on the house side as well and not fasten a ledger board to the house at all. Let the deck, landing or whatever size structure you build stand on its own rather than tying it to the house.

this is a great idea! saves on lead flashing too :P
dcrane

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:01 am

dcrane wrote:well I've always said that a farmers porch will make almost any house look 100x better! I assume this is a ranch or cape you can kill two or three birds with one stone with a farmers porch across the entire front of the house and maybe even wrap it around one side to the side door, the house would look like a totally different home, it would appear inviting, larger and give it character like no other thing you could do (at a relatively inexpensive cost since its really just a glorified deck with zero living space).

If I shown you the before and after on some houses that added a farmers porch you would be amazed at what this does to a homes look and feel.... now shut that damb xbox off and start swinging the hammer :lol:

I just Googled Farmer's Porches. My wife's parents had that type of porch on their house. It was really nice. Also, really expensive.

Also, I don't play the Xbox. Real men play PC games. ;)
I'm On Fire

PostBy: buffalo bob On: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:55 am

if u want to get off cheap, just form up on both sides of that rock mess of steps and pour concrete over them rocks looks like they have been there for years and they will make good fill/base for concrete steps ..u probably can get away with 1 cu.yd. or less..27 eighty lb. bags of quickcrete =1 cu. yd. quickcrete brand is 4,000 lb test concrete,more than enough for steps..good luck!!!
buffalo bob

Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:05 pm

buffalo bob wrote:if u want to get off cheap, just form up on both sides of that rock mess of steps and pour concrete over them rocks looks like they have been there for years and they will make good fill/base for concrete steps ..u probably can get away with 1 cu.yd. or less..27 eighty lb. bags of quickcrete =1 cu. yd. quickcrete brand is 4,000 lb test concrete,more than enough for steps..good luck!!!

That's what I was thinking too. Just don't know how to do it I've got very little experience using concrete. Do I need to make a form of the steps then pour inside of that? My brother in law said he'd help and he's got more experience with concrete than me but I'd still like to have an idea of what to actually do.
I'm On Fire

PostBy: Richard S. On: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:22 pm

I'm On Fire wrote:The top step was removed so the new front door could be put in. What I'd like to do is put a small deck on and I'm assuming I'd need some sort of footing which would also mean in NJ I'll probably need a permit.

The code here was you didn't need a permit if it wasn't attached to the house like if you were going to build out in the middle of the yard. My brothers neighbor put in posts and never attached it to the house. LOL

Unless there is some thing where I don't because I'm replacing a porch? Not really sure. There are a lot of rocks and boulders whoch would make footings really fun to put in. Suggestions?

They make circular cardboard forms, you put an anchor in the concrete after you pour it to attach the post too.
Richard S.

Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:45 pm

Richard S. wrote:
I'm On Fire wrote:The top step was removed so the new front door could be put in. What I'd like to do is put a small deck on and I'm assuming I'd need some sort of footing which would also mean in NJ I'll probably need a permit.

The code here was you didn't need a permit if it wasn't attached to the house like if you were going to build out in the middle of the yard. My brothers neighbor put in posts and never attached it to the house. LOL

Unless there is some thing where I don't because I'm replacing a porch? Not really sure. There are a lot of rocks and boulders whoch would make footings really fun to put in. Suggestions?

They make circular cardboard forms, you put an anchor in the concrete after you pour it to attach the post too.

I could probably get away with doing that. Just dig four post holes, put some pea gravel in the bottom of the hole, drop in the forms, pour them. Build the deck but leave it an inch or so off of the house.

It however might just be easier and cheaper to build new steps around the existing ones and just pour concrete. I can always claim I'm making a repair. I don't think NJ requires a permit for repairs. But I don't know, which is why I'm asking on here. You guys are a hell of a lot smarter than me.
I'm On Fire

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Fri May 17, 2013 2:17 pm

I went out and actually took a good long look at these steps over the week. If I were to knock the sides off of it; as they are crumbling anyway. Then build it up with cinder block could I get away with doing that? The foot print would only be a little larger. I'd leave the center section be, just clean it up enough to have something to work off of. I'd go one block out on each site, two side by side on the top then come down. I figure it'd add one more step out and give me a small porch or landing. What would I need to do on the dirt? Dig a small trench fill it with some pea gravel make it level and that's it? In fact, I'll take a few more pictures of it when I get home tonight. I'm going on vacation starting tonight and will be home all week to plan this out and possibly start it.

I think I can get away with doing it without the town's involvement. I could say it's a repair. Hopefully.
I'm On Fire