Coffee 5-4-13

Re: Coffee 5-4-13

PostBy: NoSmoke On: Sat May 11, 2013 7:28 pm

I know how you feel.

We had potatoes up until 1988 which was a 150 year tradition on this farm, but in 2008 I realized that if we were going to keep the farm, we were going to actively farm it again. It took a lot of thinking, but using what we had, and what always worked well here in the past, we returned to having sheep. Trust me, it was not an "oh sheep are so cute" kind of decision, or even a "hey my Grandfather always had sheep", it was based on the fact that we grow grass...and plenty of it...well and that sheep are really hardy and don't require a barn as ours burned in 1998.

You, and landowners like you, are the real food hero's. Yeah you could make house lots, but you instead chose to rent your land out and let it grow food for the betterment of society even if you do not have animals/crops yourself. We are so successful at it in this country, that even our poor people are now fat!

If you like to eat, you gotta love a farmer (even one still at heart).
NoSmoke

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vogelzang Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler (Back-up)

PostBy: LsFarm On: Sun May 12, 2013 9:11 am

I turned down a good offer for my land in 2004, the offer from a developer, he was going to put in 50-80 half-acre building lots, depending on what he could sue the township planning commission into allowing.

Financially it was a good deal, but i just could NOT do it.. my piece of land with the lake, river swampland and fields is a rarity in my area, and I just couldn't stomach it being cut up into another subdivision..

So I turned it down.. I'm still not sure if I should have taken the offer, I might have got the land back, since that developer went bankrupt a few years later in the real estate collapse. No guarantees.

But I'm here, the house is rebuilt, I have a beautiful yard, land in crops, coal to burn and I should be able to stay here for another decade or two..
By the time I'm 80, if I'm lucky enough to get that old and still be healthy,, I'll start selling cars and tractors, reducing the pile of 'stuff' and get to the point where I can get by with merely a 4-car garage and a 1200sqft house.. And try to live a more simple life as an octagenarian.

Greg L
LsFarm

Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sun May 12, 2013 9:16 am

I'll be sure for you Greg, you did exactly the right thing by following your heart :) Octagenarian huh???? isn't that some kinda monkey? :clap: toothy
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

PostBy: Poconoeagle On: Sun May 12, 2013 9:40 am

Boy! you guys have your sights set kinda low huh?

this was two years ago and hes still drawing, playing guitar,harmonica,and enjoying spaghetti for dinner!! 8-)
image.jpg
(97.74 KiB) Viewed 4 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]42104[/nepathumb]
Poconoeagle

Stove/Furnace Make: Buckwalter & Co. , EFM520
Stove/Furnace Model: No. 28 Glenwood 1880, Alaska

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Sun May 12, 2013 5:32 pm

LsFarm wrote:I turned down a good offer for my land in 2004, the offer from a developer, he was going to put in 50-80 half-acre building lots, depending on what he could sue the township planning commission into allowing.

Financially it was a good deal, but i just could NOT do it.. my piece of land with the lake, river swampland and fields is a rarity in my area, and I just couldn't stomach it being cut up into another subdivision..

So I turned it down.. I'm still not sure if I should have taken the offer, I might have got the land back, since that developer went bankrupt a few years later in the real estate collapse. No guarantees.

But I'm here, the house is rebuilt, I have a beautiful yard, land in crops, coal to burn and I should be able to stay here for another decade or two..
By the time I'm 80, if I'm lucky enough to get that old and still be healthy,, I'll start selling cars and tractors, reducing the pile of 'stuff' and get to the point where I can get by with merely a 4-car garage and a 1200sqft house.. And try to live a more simple life as an octagenarian.

Greg L

I could understand what you mean Greg. I turned down a offer for a gas lease. I was all ready to sign and the pit in my stomach told me not to. Still unsure if I did the right thing or not.
Things sure have changed here since all the drilling, in some ways it is better in some ways it sucks. The traffic and new people have really increased.
They drilled a well just over the hill from me the unit goes right around me. My property is like a middle finger sticking up. I am all for them drilling for gas but it just seems like they want you to sign away too many rights.
I love my property up here and always felt it was something I could leave to my daughter.
Here is a pic of the lower section where I can hunt, fish and shoot. Or just go and be alone.

stand 002.JPG
(120.56 KiB) Viewed 12 times
[nepathumb]42112[/nepathumb]
Flyer5

Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sun May 12, 2013 6:29 pm

Looks like a nice chunk of bottom land Dave:)
freetown fred

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Sun May 12, 2013 6:53 pm

freetown fred wrote:Looks like a nice chunk of bottom land Dave:)

Thanks, I like it, it is very secluded.

Here is a view from my stand.
2003_0420PROP0011.JPG
(107.69 KiB) Viewed 8 times
[nepathumb]42116[/nepathumb]

Here is the stand.
2003_0420PROP0016.JPG
(135.05 KiB) Viewed 9 times
[nepathumb]42117[/nepathumb]
Flyer5

PostBy: NoSmoke On: Sun May 12, 2013 7:15 pm

We have the Amish here, and they have tried to get us to sell, but they found out pretty quickly from us that it will never happen.
NoSmoke

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vogelzang Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler (Back-up)

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sun May 12, 2013 9:10 pm

Hey Dave, that stand looks like the gun towers I've got around my perimeter--NICE ;)
freetown fred

PostBy: Rick 386 On: Sun May 12, 2013 10:36 pm

Dave,

That right there is a nice stand. :clap: :dancing: I have something similar down in MD. Except the deer are so skiddish we can only have small windows to shoot through. Everything must be painted and camo'd up. And a metal roof would never do because they are too loud. However as far as it being a nice place to take a nap, nothing beats a metal roof.

In fact we built ours with a 5' x 6' floor covered in carpet. It allows someone to lay down after lunch for a siesta before concentrating on the evening shooting hours. Now if only I could rig up some motion detectors, I could nap a little longer !!!!!! :whistle:

Rick
Rick 386

Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

PostBy: SMITTY On: Mon May 13, 2013 12:27 am

Yeah, up here the acorns dropping on a metal roof would make you deaf! Deer wouldn't come within a half mile of that racket. :lol: BAM! WhAM! CRACK!! :funny:

That's some sweet property you've got there Dave. There's places around the neighborhood that look similar, but I don't own any of it. Glad I'm able to go there - I'm fine with that.
SMITTY

Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Mon May 13, 2013 8:14 am

Rick 386 wrote:Dave,

That right there is a nice stand. :clap: :dancing: I have something similar down in MD. Except the deer are so skiddish we can only have small windows to shoot through. Everything must be painted and camo'd up. And a metal roof would never do because they are too loud. However as far as it being a nice place to take a nap, nothing beats a metal roof.

In fact we built ours with a 5' x 6' floor covered in carpet. It allows someone to lay down after lunch for a siesta before concentrating on the evening shooting hours. Now if only I could rig up some motion detectors, I could nap a little longer !!!!!! :whistle:

Rick

Its actually not a metal roof. It is a product called ondura. Not loud at all. Actually very quiet. http://ondura.com/
Flyer5

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Mon May 13, 2013 8:16 am

SMITTY wrote:Yeah, up here the acorns dropping on a metal roof would make you deaf! Deer wouldn't come within a half mile of that racket. :lol: BAM! WhAM! CRACK!! :funny:

That's some sweet property you've got there Dave. There's places around the neighborhood that look similar, but I don't own any of it. Glad I'm able to go there - I'm fine with that.

Thanks, I have actually had deer walk right under me. There is a well worn deer path just behind it .
Flyer5

PostBy: Poconoeagle On: Mon May 13, 2013 8:19 am

Flyer5 wrote:
Rick 386 wrote:Dave,

Its actually not a metal roof. It is a product called ondura. Not loud at all. Actually very quiet. http://ondura.com/

wow cool!! I wonder if they could make womens hats out of it, or even better, wedding vail's????? :shock: :roll:

:out:
Poconoeagle

Stove/Furnace Make: Buckwalter & Co. , EFM520
Stove/Furnace Model: No. 28 Glenwood 1880, Alaska

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Mon May 13, 2013 8:23 am

Flyer5 wrote:
SMITTY wrote:Yeah, up here the acorns dropping on a metal roof would make you deaf! Deer wouldn't come within a half mile of that racket. :lol: BAM! WhAM! CRACK!! :funny:

Thanks, I have actually had deer walk right under me. There is a well worn deer path just behind it .

BTW I bought that land in 98. At the time land was pretty reasonable. Now it is 4 or 5 times what I paid.
Flyer5