Chicken Coop Resort Produces Jumbo Eggs!

Chicken Coop Resort Produces Jumbo Eggs!

PostBy: dcrane On: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:54 am

I don't know a lot about raising chickens but I have found the best fresh eggs I've ever had :P
I took a few pics of the chickens and their lil' playground with sunny area's, shady area's, they even have a low growing magnolia tree or something they use as a gymnasium :lol:

Its truly amazing how good fresh eggs can be compared to store bought, I'm starting to make excuses to go over my friends house now hoping I can get a dozen while im their :lol:
I have other friends who have chicken's also but the eggs just are not the same in size or taste :confused:
Attachments
Birds and Chickens.JPG
(226.88 KiB) Viewed 16 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]42433[/nepathumb]
Chickens.JPG
(258.01 KiB) Viewed 14 times
[nepathumb]42434[/nepathumb]
Chickens Play Yard.JPG
(288.51 KiB) Viewed 12 times
[nepathumb]42435[/nepathumb]
Jumbo Chicken Eggs.JPG
(99.27 KiB) Viewed 3 times
[nepathumb]42436[/nepathumb]
dcrane

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Re: Chicken Coop Resort Produces Jumbo Eggs!

PostBy: carlherrnstein On: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:30 am

When I was a kid my dad and uncial got my grandma 50 pullets an when they first started laying the eggs were tiny and had no yolks then after a few weeks they had normal sized eggs and a lot of them had two yolks.
carlherrnstein

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

PostBy: SMITTY On: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:18 pm

I get fresh eggs free from the neighbors constantly this time of year. Most are hard-as-a-brick guinea fowl eggs. Small, but packed with nutrients. I eat 4 of those small ones, which come out to the same as 2 large store bought ones, but I don't get hungry again until late in the afternoon. Good stuff.

You can plainly see the darker orange yolks of the fresh eggs over the bright, light yellow store-bought eggs. Well ... you could if I had a decent camera in my phone ... :roll: :
Attachments
Eggs - store L, fresh R.jpg
(58.94 KiB) Viewed 4 times
Store L, Fresh R.
[nepathumb]42440[/nepathumb]
SMITTY

Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

PostBy: dcrane On: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:11 pm

It amazing the taste difference as well, they not only look healthier but the taste 10x better also :shock: Im getting hooked on these things (ima smash all my store bought eggs :mad: )
dcrane

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

PostBy: Scottscoaled On: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:38 pm

Older chickens make the larger eggs. In their second or third year usually. We used to have a couple hundred, now we are down to a couple guinea hens and one small rooster. The folks we gave them to give us all the eggs we could eat. I sure don't miss the 25 roosters crowing at 330 or 4 in the morning. Freakin rooster crowing contest :D
Scottscoaled

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520x4, 350, 700. Van Wert 400 x 2, 800, 1200.
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck

PostBy: michaelanthony On: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:59 pm

..nothin' like fresh eggs, I buy 2 dozen a week from a guy at work and the yolks are practically orange and delicious...sure are good with nice loaf of italian scali bread toast and a pound of buttah!
michaelanthony

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box, vogelzang pot belly coat rack
Coal Size/Type: Pea, and a little nut
Other Heating: Very cold FHA oil furnace

PostBy: NoSmoke On: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:20 pm

A lot of the taste comes from the fact that an egg shell is rather porous and because of that, eggs absorb flavors from where they are stored. Farm fresh eggs are just that...fresh...so they do not have time to absorb other flavors making them far more egg-flavorful.

I was really miffed last year when our Government decided to up the expiration date until 6 months old. They did this because Maine is one of the largest exporter of eggs in the US and wanted to get in on the Asian Market. The only way to do that was the extend the expiration date out even father.

Myself, I got 8 laying hens and 6 laying ducks and we enjoy the mix. The ducks far out lay the chickens, and are easier to care for and I enjoy the ducks much better, but for me I prefer chicken eggs for omlettes and duck eggs for cooking. I found by insulating and heating my chicken/duck pens, and then putting a light on with a timer, I can confuse them into thinking it is always Spring and so maintain a 10-11 egg count year around which is pretty good for so few birds. Ultimately we give our excess eggs away to our Main Pastor and our Youth Pastor at church.
NoSmoke

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vogelzang Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler (Back-up)

PostBy: Duengeon master On: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:58 pm

Scottscoaled wrote:Older chickens make the larger eggs. In their second or third year usually. We used to have a couple hundred, now we are down to a couple guinea hens and one small rooster. The folks we gave them to give us all the eggs we could eat. I sure don't miss the 25 roosters crowing at 330 or 4 in the morning. Freakin rooster crowing contest :D

You should go to the Philippines, There they crow all night long!!!! :roll2:
Duengeon master

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite pea and nut mix. Bituminous lump