how to build a commercial grade rabbit hutch cheap!

how to build a commercial grade rabbit hutch cheap!

PostBy: dcrane On: Tue May 14, 2013 7:17 am

Homemade, Inexpensive Rabbit Hutch for Self Watering and Easy Cleaning.

I dont eat Rabbits but this lil' project produces year round rabbit meat for its owner and cost next to nothing to build & maintain.
Put together with simple galv. wire, finger pulls, recycled lumber, 5 gallon bucket, plastic hose and some cheap home heating louvers.

Some of these new subjects will hopefully someday bring us some new likeminded friends & members to the forums here!

Note: the last photo showing the additional benifits gained from these Rabbits :D

Credits to my friend Wade
Attachments
Homemade Rabbit Hutch.JPG
(231.25 KiB) Viewed 329 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
Front of Rabbit Hutch (NOTE the EASY ACCESS RABBIT POOP FALLS FREELY UNDERNEATH)
[nepathumb]42156[/nepathumb]
Rabbit Hutch water lines.jpg
(149.52 KiB) Viewed 101 times
Water Lines for Rabbit Hutch running to each cage
[nepathumb]42157[/nepathumb]
Rabbit Hutch Rear.JPG
(89.21 KiB) Viewed 61 times
Rear of rabbit hutch with louvers and protected area for winter months
[nepathumb]42158[/nepathumb]
Rabbit Hutch Water Supply.JPG
(106.94 KiB) Viewed 43 times
5 gallon bucket on roof for water supply
[nepathumb]42159[/nepathumb]
P1010001.JPG
(261.49 KiB) Viewed 40 times
Beautiful Veggie Garden Next to Rabbit Hutch
[nepathumb]42160[/nepathumb]
dcrane

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Re: how to build a commercial grade rabbit hutch cheap!

PostBy: Rwalker On: Tue May 14, 2013 6:48 pm

Just caught this. I do raise rabbits for meat, so this is very interesting.

Anyway I can get a basic plans or layout? The pics are good, but not enough for me to really see how it is all put together.

Thanks!
Rwalker

Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 983

PostBy: dcrane On: Tue May 14, 2013 9:16 pm

Rwalker wrote:Just caught this. I do raise rabbits for meat, so this is very interesting.

Anyway I can get a basic plans or layout? The pics are good, but not enough for me to really see how it is all put together.

Thanks!

I will get more detail for you. out of curiosity wtf does rabbit taste like :shock:
dcrane

PostBy: SMITTY On: Tue May 14, 2013 9:19 pm

Chicken.

toothy :nana:
SMITTY

Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

PostBy: Rwalker On: Wed May 15, 2013 6:45 am

It is actually quite good. I have read that many restaurants use it as a substitute for chicken in some dishes, whether that is true or not I don't know. If you butcher them at 8-12 weeks, they are nice and tender and you quite a bit of meat. We can ours, so after the canning process the meat is even better.

Cheap and provides a continuous supply of high quality protein. They are low in fat, and the fat tastes bad, so you would probably get sick after prolonged consumption, but we also eat chicken, fish, and beef so no worries.
Rwalker

Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 983

PostBy: dcrane On: Wed May 15, 2013 7:21 am

Rwalker wrote:It is actually quite good. I have read that many restaurants use it as a substitute for chicken in some dishes, whether that is true or not I don't know. If you butcher them at 8-12 weeks, they are nice and tender and you quite a bit of meat. We can ours, so after the canning process the meat is even better.

Cheap and provides a continuous supply of high quality protein. They are low in fat, and the fat tastes bad, so you would probably get sick after prolonged consumption, but we also eat chicken, fish, and beef so no worries.

Indeed they have been adding Rabbit to high end resturaunts around Boston recently :sick: Its very expensive and like everything else including frog leggs it prolly tastes like chicken as Smit says :lol:

Wade's Rabbits are Giants, im not sure what variaty they are but they look more like big fat dogs to me :shock: He also does the Chicken thing and I should have snapped some photo's of those (It seriously looks like a luxury resort for chickens) and he gave me a dozen eggs (I've recieved fresh eggs from other friends over the years but these things were like friggin' bowling balls and the best I've ever had :clap:)
dcrane

PostBy: michaelanthony On: Thu May 16, 2013 12:19 pm

Hey dc.. those rabbits gut cable tv? watchin bugs bunny..... :lol: never mind, those are water lines....I put my glasses on.
michaelanthony

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box, vogelzang pot belly coat rack
Coal Size/Type: Pea, and a little nut
Other Heating: Very cold FHA oil furnace

PostBy: NJJoe On: Tue May 28, 2013 9:54 am

dcrane wrote:
Rwalker wrote:Just caught this. I do raise rabbits for meat, so this is very interesting.

Thanks!

I will get more detail for you. out of curiosity wtf does rabbit taste like :shock:

My dad and I used to raise rabbits for meat, our own consumption. We used to regularly eat rabbit and despite the well known cliche, it really does taste like chicken. Its white meat and cooks the same as chicken. It doesn't look like chicken, obviously there are no wings and the legs don't resemble poultry legs. Someone inattentive to this would eat rabbit and think they were eating chicken.

Would you mind posting the plans for that hutch? it does look well made. Rabbit droppings make for good compost too.
NJJoe

PostBy: dcrane On: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:39 am

as promised, more detailed pic's of this hutch.
Attachments
Front Cages.JPG
(185.58 KiB) Viewed 49 times
Front Cage
[nepathumb]42427[/nepathumb]
View from Underneath Front.JPG
(193.67 KiB) Viewed 63 times
View from underneath
[nepathumb]42428[/nepathumb]
View from Underside.JPG
(165.14 KiB) Viewed 31 times
View from underneath 2
[nepathumb]42429[/nepathumb]
Rear Accesses.JPG
(121.14 KiB) Viewed 24 times
Rear access door
[nepathumb]42430[/nepathumb]
Side of Hutch.JPG
(162.02 KiB) Viewed 19 times
View of Side of hutch
[nepathumb]42431[/nepathumb]
Opened Rear Door.JPG
(108.2 KiB) Viewed 33 times
Opened rear access door
[nepathumb]42432[/nepathumb]
dcrane

PostBy: lsayre On: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:54 pm

That's one classy rabbit hutch. Is that power ventilation in each of the hotel suites?
lsayre

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (if I ever get it fixed)

PostBy: dcrane On: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:17 am

lsayre wrote:That's one classy rabbit hutch. Is that power ventilation in each of the hotel suites?

I thought so too which is why I snapped some pics of it, you should see his pigeons :shock: funniest stuff ever because these things fly in tight formations and they do tricks and stuff in the air, summersaults and dive bombs and rolls :eek2: I wouldent mind being a pet their except for the fact he eats you :mad:
dcrane