Summerizing Your Stoker

Summerizing Your Stoker

PostBy: Jimeeh1970 On: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:01 pm

Anyone have any tips for summerizing (shutting down for summer) your stoker. Have a VF3000 and last year had a little more rust than I'd like to see. Planning on this year after cleaning, hooking venting system back up and using the lightbulb trick. Anyone know of a safe rust inhibitor to spray the inside with????
Jimeeh1970

Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Other Heating: Napoleon 1401i wood insert
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman/Napoleon
Stove/Furnace Model: VF3000/1401i

Re: Summerizing Your Stoker

PostBy: 2001Sierra On: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:46 pm

LPS 3.
2001Sierra

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34
Stove/Furnace Model: Keystoker 90 Chimney Vent

PostBy: WNYRob On: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:57 pm

What do you mean by venting system, your flue?? If you are hooking up your flue, that is usually a no-no. Unless, it is tightly capped and air tight, humid air from you attic and/or outside (assuming a normal chimney layout) will just introduce this humidity to your stove throughout the summer. It is best to keep your flue disconnected, seal up the stove all by its lonesome (with light bulb/LP3, etc) and then when it comes time to light it back up in a couple months, hook your flue back up and fire away.

One warning about LP3. I used it last year and it did minimize corrosion (you will never be able to totally eliminate it) but the propellent used in it was sucked up by our clothes drier (propane fueled) on the other end of the basement, and made our clothes smell kind of funky for the following couple of weeks. At first we thought the drier wasn't firing properly or lint was burning. When Sears came out to look at it the serviceman said any type of aerosol, LP3, spray paint, etc obviously gives off chemicals into the air and they will burn, with then end of result, in a clothes drier, of weird smelling heated air. We could even smell it out our kitchen window, which is located above the drier vent.
WNYRob

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker Koker controlled with CoalTrol

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:15 pm

Disconnect pipe and cap. Through this little thing in there right after it cools from shut down. Also vacuum it out really well.
http://www.deansafe.com/drirod18.html?g ... 4AodiCUAow
Flyer5

Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

PostBy: Uglysquirrel On: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:53 pm

This what I do with my beloved Pocono for the past three years with no visual rust at end of the summer in firebox or pipes. I did the LPS things on the pipes when I first had a hand fed. It smelled during the summer heat and was pretty drippy.

As always, excuse my long winded rant though some of the detail is needed when a spray coating like LPS is not used.

* Remove pipes from stove to chimney in easiest way possible. Brush inside of pipes and baro with steel wool and vac clean best effort. These pipes including baro will be stored in pieces in sealed firebox. More on that later. If possible leave a pipe on the stove exhaust since you will be putting a piece of plastic over the pipe hole later to seal the firebox at this location.
* Remove all coal from stove.
* Scrape inside all over with Dollar Store putty scrapers. Inside of doors also. Vac the mess up. I use a mask when doing this.
* Clean under grate, etc.
* Put a piece of aluminized tape or whatever over combustion fan inlet. Or can also stuff a couple plastic grocery bags in the hole under the grate. Goal is to seal this area from incoming humid air.
* Seal the prior noted exhaust pipe with grocery bags or whatever. I wrap electrical tape around the pipe o.d.
* Stuff a big wad of grocery bags in the hopper hole. All humid air entrances to the firebox are now sealed.
* Put pipes and baro in stove firebox. Another reason to buy the Pocono (taller inside :D for longer pipe storage). This may be more difficult to do with Pioneer or Lil Heater.
* Get a DampRid dispenser and a bag of moisture absorber from HD. Cheap. Put in firebox.
* Ensure your door gaskets are in good condition on two doors and close handles securely. Firebox is now sealed best effort.
* Replace the Damp Rid stuff every 4-5-6 weeks. Replace absorber powder when you see water in bottom of dispenser cup and absorber stuff gets crystalized.
* Enjoy a couple cases beer from the money you save not buying 2-3 cans of LPS.

One summer I found a digital humidity meter at a tag sale, it read 28 % humidity for quite a while until the Damp Rid started to get old. Understand that preventing rust on steel requires a humidity 40% or less (without ash).

..And remember at start of the next season to remove all the bags like I didn't....

Enjoy,

Ug
Uglysquirrel

Stove/Furnace Model: Pocono

PostBy: btrowe1 On: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:51 pm

Just finished doing my cleaning,This is the 7th year with the 140, I was amazed this year at the amount of fines I found under the grate,I must admit i skipped this step last year thinking it was of no real importance as I did it the year before. Boy was I wrong, I never really seemed to have that high fire, that I was use to seeing years past. Thus the need for proper air flow to the grates.

My grates all were pretty clear, I did notice that the air holes on the grate I am using (double stoker only use 1 CO problems long story) Seem to be a bit bigger in size than the little used side?? I think it looks like a burn issue worn thing?? Humm,

I did however find that my combustion fan squirrel cage had quite a build up of dust on it this year. I cleaned that off with a small brush, The 2 sides also seemed to turn a bit differently. Closer (nonused) side easier turning than the used side.

For the 1st time I placed an energy saver light bulb in the unit and plan on keeping it on through the the summer.

Maybe next year I'll fire up the front burner as opposed to the back one. That and the grate hole sizes are for later discussion over the summer
btrowe1

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska stoker 140 Coal
Stove/Furnace Make: alaska stove

PostBy: Lightning On: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:13 pm

Energy saver bulb? You mean a compact florescent? The florescent bulbs don't get very hot. It's the warmth that drives the humidity level down. That's why I use a regular incandescent 100 watt bulb.
Lightning

Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut Size / White Ash

PostBy: btrowe1 On: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:31 pm

I just went down and checked it, not much heat at all.Looks like hi firer though.. replaced with a 60 wattr, so much for energy savings..
btrowe1

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska stoker 140 Coal
Stove/Furnace Make: alaska stove

PostBy: Lightning On: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:08 am

My total cost per Kilowatt is about $ .125 at that rate it costs about 9 dollars per month to run a 100 watt bulb 24/7
Lightning

Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut Size / White Ash

PostBy: Richard S. On: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:16 am

You can use a solution of baking soda and water to wash the inside and neutralize the acids.

btrowe1 wrote:I just went down and checked it, not much heat at all.Looks like hi firer though.. replaced with a 60 wattr, so much for energy savings..

About $5 per month.
Richard S.

Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

PostBy: coalkirk On: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:34 am

With all the money you are saving on fuel by using coal you can afford a few bucks a month for the light bulb to protect your equipment. It works like a charm.
coalkirk

Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

PostBy: hcarlow On: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:42 am

Flyer5 wrote:Disconnect pipe and cap. Through this little thing in there right after it cools from shut down. Also vacuum it out really well.
http://www.deansafe.com/drirod18.html?g ... 4AodiCUAow

Thanks for the info on the dri rod as I ordered one yesterday .
hcarlow

Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL 110

Visit Lehigh Anthracite