Replace oil burner with coal stoker?

Re: Replace oil burner with coal stoker?

PostBy: 2001Sierra On: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:50 pm

Wow! You can pick your friends but not your relatives :oops:
2001Sierra

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34
Stove/Furnace Model: Keystoker 90 Chimney Vent

PostBy: Inherited Axeman 130 On: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:38 pm

I have found in the barn the AA130 that was in the house prior to the AA130 that was replaced by the snake oil salesman.
I don't know why Dad had replaced this one. It is rusty on the outside and has a lot of the parts with it, including the feed tube.

I have read a lot on this forum about you guys rebuilding/refurbishing these old gems.
What are your opinions on my attempting this?
I have restored old Farmall Cub tractors, so hard work is not an issue.

Thanks for the advice.
Inherited Axeman 130

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 and AA130

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:10 pm

Inherited Axeman 130 wrote:I have found in the barn the AA130 that was in the house prior to the AA130 that was replaced by the snake oil salesman.
I don't know why Dad had replaced this one. It is rusty on the outside and has a lot of the parts with it, including the feed tube.

I have read a lot on this forum about you guys rebuilding/refurbishing these old gems.
What are your opinions on my attempting this?
I have restored old Farmall Cub tractors, so hard work is not an issue.

Thanks for the advice.

Go for it. I have done a few. Figure about 60-100hrs she will be like new. Depending on how detailed you want to get. And how bad it is. If you can I would see if Axeman would install the drybolt coil assembly for it. That would entail getting the pressure vessel to them. Dave
Flyer5

Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

PostBy: freetown fred On: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:12 pm

IA, post some pix of what you've got. If you can do a tractor, you'll have no problems with the AA130 & know when to ask for help :)
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

PostBy: dcrane On: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:15 pm

Same crap happened to me and Im an old coal guy who knows better (so don't feel bad).
What appears to be a pretty good option to me is the Leisure Line WL-110, It would give mom the oil back up incase you went on vacation, Its as less expensive new as any similar product of its kind and though I have not had the opportunity to have/use one it does have the critical sections brought in from AA which speaks to its quality, I do know the owners of this company are very approachable, honest and helpful regular folks who enjoy trying to help others (be it an old lady or a new student or anyone in-between).

You should call them and ask the pricing or any senior discounts at 570-752-1811

EDIT: Flyer posted as I was typing :lol: ^^^^ Flyer dude who posted above is a LL rep, he can help you
EDIT2 (Dave how about you take one of your spankin' new AA pressure vessels and throw it on a WL110 and give the woman a 10% Senior Discount :lol: ) This lady would pay for that unit in 3 heat seasons the way she's plowing through oil! :mad:
dcrane

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:52 am

dcrane wrote:Same crap happened to me and Im an old coal guy who knows better (so don't feel bad).
What appears to be a pretty good option to me is the Leisure Line WL-110, It would give mom the oil back up incase you went on vacation, Its as less expensive new as any similar product of its kind and though I have not had the opportunity to have/use one it does have the critical sections brought in from AA which speaks to its quality, I do know the owners of this company are very approachable, honest and helpful regular folks who enjoy trying to help others (be it an old lady or a new student or anyone in-between).

You should call them and ask the pricing or any senior discounts at 570-752-1811

EDIT: Flyer posted as I was typing :lol: ^^^^ Flyer dude who posted above is a LL rep, he can help you
EDIT2 (Dave how about you take one of your spankin' new AA pressure vessels and throw it on a WL110 and give the woman a 10% Senior Discount :lol: ) This lady would pay for that unit in 3 heat seasons the way she's plowing through oil! :mad:

That issue gets complicated because all of our dealers are independent. I would love to do some kind of senior or military Vet discount I know it couldn't be 10% on our end alone the dealers would have to help. Like you said our prices are already lower and there is a reason for that. But if she were to talk to a dealer and we can figure something out I would be glad to help and entertain all options. Part of the reason for being here is to help people, but we have to make sure we do things evenly and fair for all.
Dave
Flyer5

Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

PostBy: Inherited Axeman 130 On: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:54 pm

Here is the completed installation of the "new" AA130.
Thanks for all your responses.
IMG_2363cropped.jpg
(42.04 KiB) Viewed 87 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]43420[/nepathumb]
Inherited Axeman 130

PostBy: dcrane On: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:08 am

wow that looks clean! :shock: Nice install (who did it?), I assume that beauty is brandie new from Leisure Line or Axeman Anderson? what did you do with all your old stuff?
You have a coal bin with auger or something? Id love to see it fired up running or how loud the auger system is, etc. I always liked the idea of a 300lb gravity feed hopper (less motors, noise, wear N tear, etc.) but Id really love seeing this beauty working on Video if your able :punk:
dcrane

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

PostBy: McGiever On: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:25 am

Inherited Axeman 130 wrote:Here is the completed installation of the "new" AA130.
Thanks for all your responses.
IMG_2363cropped.jpg

WOW...back in June you said there was another old rusty AA out in the barn...is this it?
McGiever

Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN MAGNUM
Hand Fed Coal Stove: RADIANT HOME AIR BLAST
Baseburners & Antiques: OUR GLENWOOD 111 BASEBURNER "1908"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE, NUT-STOVE / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

PostBy: Scottscoaled On: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:12 pm

Nice job! One question. Is that a wine rack full of wine behind your AA? If so you are about to become a LEGEND ! :clap: :up: :cheers:
Scottscoaled

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520x4, 350, 700. Van Wert 400 x 2, 800, 1200.
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck

PostBy: Inherited Axeman 130 On: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:59 pm

That is the old AA130 I had mentioned.
Here it is all loaded up destined for Axeman-Anderson plant for some refurbishing.
IMG_1920.JPG
(150.25 KiB) Viewed 18 times
[nepathumb]43430[/nepathumb]

We typically feed from a drum (blue one in this case)
Here is a better photo of the install.
IMG_2377.JPG
(132 KiB) Viewed 45 times
[nepathumb]43431[/nepathumb]

The "wine rack" is actually a holder for welding rods.
Inherited Axeman 130

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:00 am

Nice IA :)
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

PostBy: CapeCoaler On: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:49 pm

Did AA do the entire refurb or just a part of it...
Future AA owners want to know...
With 3 under 16 months I don't have much free time now...
CapeCoaler

Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

PostBy: whistlenut On: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:17 pm

AA is very accommodating about repairs and retrofitting. Once you have been in their shop you will understand why they are very well regarded by owners. Understand that it does not get any better in quality and execution, hence Matt and Dave chose to not reinvent the wheel when AA was asked to supply boiler blanks for them. Every time I stop by, I leave with a few new tricks that I haven't yet learned. To see such a fine rehab on this old 130 makes me want to find your brother in law and make his life uncomfortable, just like he did to your mom.
Bastard. As we all know, you can't change STUPID!! PT Barnum make the call a long time ago....... :idea: :!:

After tearing down and rebuilding a 50 year old AA, it is a breath of fresh air to go see a brand new one sitting there on a pallet, ready to go to a new home or business. :D
whistlenut

Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ&VanWert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks Boiler,Itasca415,NYer130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska-4,Keystoker-2,
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska,Gibraltor,Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Van Wert, NYer's, Ford,Jensen.
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck,Pea,Nut&Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

PostBy: Inherited Axeman 130 On: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:33 pm

CapeCoaler wrote:Did AA do the entire refurb or just a part of it...
They will do as little or as much as you want.
Inherited Axeman 130

Visit Lehigh Anthracite