Rob's awesome results of late just inspired me

Rob's awesome results of late just inspired me

PostBy: lsayre On: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:40 pm

Rob is having such great success this summer with his new Hydrostat controller (which has dramatically cut his daily consumption down to about 14 lbs. of coal for DHW) that he has inspired me. Based upon his suggestion to me in a private conversation, I just took down the set point of the Honeywell L4006A aquastat on my AHS S130 Coal Gun to 170 degrees (from the previous 180, where it has been since day one).

Now my boiler will fire up the fan at 160 degrees and shut it off at 170 (vs. firing it up at 170 and shutting it down at 180). I'll give this a try and see if it lowers my daily consumption for DHW (which is currently at about 14-1/3 lbs. for UAE Harmony coal, or 15 lbs. for Blaschak), while maintaining a fire. If anything, it puts me 10 degrees farther away from triggering my 215 degree dump zone, which I just noticed to be in action yesterday. Dumping to the dump zone in the summer is a waste of good coal, and it heats up my basement when it least needs it. My biggest concern is keeping the fire lit, which was never an issue with the L4006A set at 180 degrees.

Rob, are you using the Hydrostat's new feature called 'Thermal Targeting', or are you using 'Outdoor Reset' to achieve your super results with the EFM?
lsayre

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (if I ever get it fixed)

Re: Rob's awesome results of late just inspired me

PostBy: whistlenut On: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:58 pm

I don't believe Rob uses an outside sensor at this time. As you are finding out, it is a delicate balance in the AHS or AA's, however I always turn my aqua-stats down to 150-165 for summer operation. It helps to make sure the draft is maintained, even if a draft inducer is required. :idea:

Always remember that you can't always get what you want, and nothing is fool-proof......
whistlenut

Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ&VanWert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks Boiler,Itasca415,NYer130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska-4,Keystoker-2,
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska,Gibraltor,Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Van Wert, NYer's, Ford,Jensen.
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck,Pea,Nut&Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Re: Rob's awesome results of late just inspired me

PostBy: Rob R. On: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:14 pm

No outdoor sensors for me...I just use the thermal targeting feature in the control, with "pre-purge" enabled. My system has a lot of mass compared to the btu output, so reducing standby losses was a big help for me.

I am not sure if you will see a measureable difference with only a 10 degree change in boiler temp, but give it a try. If you still have enough hot water and the fire doesn't go out, drop it to 160 and see if how it goes.

Once you get to a certain point you can go to great lengths to try and save a coffee can of coal per month...at your current consumption rate, I think you are close to squeezing everything out of it.
Rob R.

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/buck
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

Visit Lehigh Anthracite