Auto A-C Warning

Re: Auto A-C Warning

PostBy: SMITTY On: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:44 pm

I do have some acetylene ..... :woot: :blowup: toothy

R290 is the stuff you burn in your BBQ grill. Only when you buy it as R290, it is much more refined than that stuff out of your grill tank. There a ton of lighter gasses at the top, like ether, and heptane that play havoc with the pressures. I might have had better results if I had burnt the volatiles off the top .... but no matter. FedEx just arrived with my 2 cases of Envirosafe - I'll let you all know how that goes ....

Been hearing the latest brainstorm from the auto manufacturers is to begin using CO2 as refrigerant .......at 2,500 PSI !!! :eek2: :wtf:

UPDATE @ 23:34 - the Marquis now has 42° vent temps with under 200 psi high side. The Envirosafe passed the test. I will say though that both the Freeze 12 and the Envirosafe don't cool very well at idle as compared to R12. You have to be moving for a while, then it really starts cooling. When I first fired it up after loading in the 2, 6oz cans I was surprised to find it somewhat cooling already. I carefully fed in about 3/4 of the 3rd can, fine tuned a little, and saw 60° vent temps at idle with 80° ambient - not impressive in my book. But when it hit the road, the thermometer dove! 42°vent temps - it was pretty nice. All told there's probably 14 oz of refrigerant in there, when it took 52 oz of R12 - impressive indeed.
SMITTY

Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

PostBy: Rick 386 On: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:23 am

SMITTY wrote:............................... But when it hit the road, the thermometer dove! 42°vent temps - it was pretty nice. All told there's probably 14 oz of refrigerant in there, when it took 52 oz of R12 - impressive indeed.

Aw c'mon. You can do better than that. I usually got them down to 36-38' with the R-12. :nana: :whip:

Hitting the road to lower the temps explains why you need the additional electric fan up front. Increased airflow is needed across the condensor.

Speaking with the lead service tech from 4 seasons last year, he mentioned the increased use of the multipass components. It is them trying to squeeze every last little bit of cooling out of the unit. Sorta like some of the coal burners on here trying to squeeze the heat out of a boiler...................

Rick
Rick 386

Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

PostBy: SMITTY On: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:06 am

When I was living in Phoenix the guys on Clarendon St. (ackits.com) steered me in the right direction. This was 14 years ago - I had no clue about how a/c worked, let alone how to charge it. Just a half hour at their shop and I learned all I needed to get my under-dash system in my El Camino working again. They are the ones that sold me the Freeze 12, and told me to use a parallel flow condenser. That thing had mid 30's vent temps, which was great in Phoenix in the summer, especially with all the holes in my firewall letting all that engine heat pour right into the cab.

The Merc. could definitely use a parallel-flow, but more than likely it just needs a new fan clutch. That one is ORIGINAL. :shock: I'm impressed with the cooling since it's still using the stock tube & fin condenser. Not as good as R12, for sure, but $3.88 per can sure beats $50 a can and up! ;)
SMITTY

Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler