Gettysburg---July1 thru 3 1863

Gettysburg---July1 thru 3 1863

PostBy: freetown fred On: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:50 am

The Battle of Gettysburg began on this day in 1863 & ended on July 3. I've walked that area---real interesting piece of history in our battle for independence for ALL
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: Gettysburg---July1 thru 3 1863

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:30 am

freetown fred wrote:The Battle of Gettysburg began on this day in 1863 & ended on July 3. I've walked that area---real interesting piece of history in our battle for independence for ALL

We are looking at taking our daughter there next year. She should enjoy it. I have been really explaining our history as a country. She always seems interested.
Flyer5

Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

PostBy: freetown fred On: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:44 am

I love it Dave---a young gun-totin, history buff---it don't get no better :)
freetown fred

PostBy: theo On: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:32 pm

Good post freetown, I've had the family down there half a dozen times, I was surprised,,,,my kids enjoyed it !
theo

Stove/Furnace Make: LL
Stove/Furnace Model: Hyfire 2

PostBy: lsayre On: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:00 pm

It's been about 15 years since I took the family there. I've heard they have upgraded things quite a bit since then. Particularly the Visitor Center.
lsayre

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13 KW)

PostBy: dcrane On: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:21 pm

My parents brought me their when I was about 10 and I remember it like yesterday... the battlefields, the Lincoln Train exhibit (some train ride movie thingy that was kinda cool), I remember them doing a re-enactment on one of the battlefields that was pretty neat to watch too. We then went to the Amish country after that (seemed like it was next door but I don't know how far it was), that was another very cool thing to do.
dcrane

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

PostBy: DieselBob On: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:38 pm

Gettysburg is great to tour and the new visitor center / diorama is a great upgrade from the previous one. We have been going there about every other year for the last 10 ~ 15 years. I get the most enjoyment from the reenactments and sutlers setups but there is something for everyone that has the slightest interest in history of the country.
DieselBob

PostBy: freetown fred On: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:53 pm

I was real fortunate being raised in Upper Black Eddy above Doylestown, Pa off rt 611 in the foothills of the Pocono's. We were real close to Washington's Crossing/ Bowman's Tower--it was close enough to BI-cycle to as a yute--LOL It was our own lil playground & as kids, we used to do our own re-enactments--my interest in this Countries history has never waivered since. As a father, I made sure all my kids got to experience many of our Countries historical sites--
freetown fred

PostBy: franco b On: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:56 am

If only the South had not been cursed with slavery our history could and probably would have been very different and for the better.

Just like today known problems got put off with makeshift compromises until they reached the point of cataclysm.

There has never been a shortage of smart clever people to run things, yet holocausts remain with us. My lifetime has been continuous war interspersed with short periods of recovery. Solutions remain beyond our intellectual ken yet it is the only tool we have which seems to indicate there is something we do not know.
franco b

Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea