Proposed wiring schematic for adding a RC Timer to AHS S130

Proposed wiring schematic for adding a RC Timer to AHS S130

PostBy: lsayre On: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:10 pm

For those of you with recently produced AHS Coal Guns with Thermal Ash Control, and who have a reasonable understanding of how they are wired, please critique my attached PDF file, which is my proposed (highly tentative) schematic for adding a Tork EJWT Percentage Timer (sort of like an RC, or Repeat Cycle timer, but based on user selected percentages of multiple selectable time cycles) by which to occasionally fire up the fan and "fan the flames" a bit, mainly to get some periodic heat into the chimney and raise my summer draft a bit.

Darren, we haven't called upon you since you joined up. Are you still lurking? If so, please have a look at this PDF and let me know what you think.

I propose to fire the fan for 3% of every 60 minute period. That would be 1.8 minutes of firing per hour. The orange wire normally goes right from the low water cut-off (LWCO) and into the L4006A, but I plan to route it to power the Tork Timer instead. Not shown here, but downstream of the R1 Relay on the AHS schematic which I'm looking at lies the L4081B high limit aquastat switch and then the fan motor.

The six blue terminals seen in the schematic are the wire terminals found inside the Tork EJWT Percentage Timer. It has both NO and NC switches. The L4006A is a NC aquastat that opens on temperature rise to break the circuit and shut off the fan motor. My main concern is that in my schematic the L4006A is to be bypassed for 1.8 minutes out of every 60 minutes. Would this be a show stopper?
Attachments
Tork_Timer_to_AHS.pdf
(37.87 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Select:BBcode: [nepafile=42620]Tork_Timer_to_AHS.pdf[/nepafile]
lsayre

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13 KW)

Re: Proposed wiring schematic for adding a RC Timer to AHS S130

PostBy: McGiever On: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:50 pm

No, it is not a show stopper for the 108 seconds of fan time.
McGiever

Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN MAGNUM
Hand Fed Coal Stove: RADIANT HOME AIR BLAST
Baseburners & Antiques: OUR GLENWOOD 111 BASEBURNER "1908"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE, NUT-STOVE / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

PostBy: lsayre On: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:39 pm

My next concern is that the NC (normally closed) switch on the Tork EJWT timer is only rated for 1/4 HP, but the fan motor on the AHS is 1/2 HP. I believe that the R1 Relay is there to keep the L4006A (which is rated for only 8 amps) from frying its contacts as it switches the fan on and off. Since the R1 Relay is not being bypassed by my proposed Tork Timer install schematic, I assume the relay will similarly buffer and protect the Tork Timer and keep it from "seeing" the 1/2 HP load from the fan motor.

The NO (normally open) switch on the Tork timer is rated for 1 HP. It's almost as if they don't expect many people to ever use the NC switch option?
lsayre

PostBy: Rob R. On: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:18 pm

Why are you using the NC terminal at all? You simply want to apply power downstream of the 4006A so that the R1 relay closes and powers up the blower fan...this can be done without the orange wire that you have running from NC to the input side of the 4006A.
Rob R.

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

PostBy: lsayre On: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:48 pm

I believe you're right Rob! I could just tap into the orange (hot) wire and run it to the timer, leaving the L4006A wired as it came from the factory, and without the need to use the timers NC terminal switch at all. That way the LWCO is still overseeing everything. I gather that if the L4006A "makes" to power the fan and the timer "makes" to power the fan at the same time, that will not cause any issues. Would this be correct?
lsayre

PostBy: Cap On: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:13 pm

Are you trying to get 240v from one leg and a neutral? 240v doesn't work that way. 240v doesn't have a neutral. It has two hots, two 120v from the 208 3p out in the street
Cap

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator

PostBy: lsayre On: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:29 pm

The 240 V terminal is not used. My system is 120V. The jumper is to the common for the switches.
lsayre

PostBy: Rob R. On: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:32 pm

lsayre wrote:I believe you're right Rob! I could just tap into the orange (hot) wire and run it to the timer, leaving the L4006A wired as it came from the factory, and without the need to use the timers NC terminal switch at all. That way the LWCO is still overseeing everything. I gather that if the L4006A "makes" to power the fan and the timer "makes" to power the fan at the same time, that will not cause any issues. Would this be correct?

Correct.
Rob R.

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy