Anyone burning wood in a Hitzer Ez-Flow 50-93?

Re: Anyone burning wood in a Hitzer Ez-Flow 50-93?

PostBy: JohnB On: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:03 am

dlj wrote: In my set-up, my flue runs straight out he back for a few feet where it meets a tee with the chimney. Likely not what you are doing either. The shape of my stove is totally different from the Jotul. dj

Same set up with my Jotul & it will remain the same with the Hitzer. In fact it looks like the Hitzer & Jotul share almost identical flue pipe attachment heights so installation should be simplified.
JohnB

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Hitzer 50-93

PostBy: JohnB On: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:31 pm

After talking with Dean at Hitzer this morning I ordered the 50-93 & it should be here Thursday. Next up is the coal. Found a supplier with a good price (for this area) on the Blaschak 40lb bags that will deliver into my area. How do you guys mix the pea & nut when you stock up for the season? 50/50 or heavier on one then the other?
JohnB

PostBy: franco b On: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:50 pm

Just build your wood fire like any other stove but don't close down the air with bigger logs for extended burn which makes creosote. Instead if you want to extend the burn add some coal to last through the night and depending on the weather let it go out or add more coal to keep it going.

Choking down the coal fire can be overdone too when it is so easy to just shake down and start a new fire on the remains of the old probably with a few days between. A coal fire won't smoke when air restricted but it will generate a lot more carbon monoxide which is wasteful and is sort of the equivalent of smoke in a wood fire. Be sure to have a Co detector to be safe as you don't know how your chimney will behave in warm weather.

Blaschak nut coal seems to run on the small side so you may not want to bother adding pea.
franco b

Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Visit Hitzer Stoves

PostBy: JohnB On: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:10 pm

I may not be burning wood in the Hitzer afterall. Just found out that I can (legally) run two insulated stainless liners up through my unlined single outlet chimney. I've got a guy coming over next week to check out the job & make sure the id of my chimney is big enough. If this works out I'll install my smaller F500 Jotul in the house for Spring & Fall heating & just use the Hitzer for coal burning when the temps drop. The F600 Jotul I've been heating the house with will move to my shop.
JohnB

PostBy: freetown fred On: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:38 pm

Not a big fan of any kind of stainless liner. But we gotta do what we gotta do.
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

PostBy: JohnB On: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:50 pm

freetown fred wrote:Not a big fan of any kind of stainless liner.

Why? I've run my 600 through one for over 20 years with no problems. Easy to clean & durable. What's not to like??
JohnB

PostBy: JohnB On: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:09 pm

The coal is here!

Coal 001.JPG
(170.86 KiB) Viewed 14 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]42978[/nepathumb]

Coal 002.JPG
(149.94 KiB) Viewed 11 times
[nepathumb]42979[/nepathumb]

Opened one bag to see how wet the coal was & to check sizing. The inside of the bag had moisture showing & the coal was damp but not really wet. Considering the loose grit in the bag some dampness will be a good thing or else it could get pretty dusty pouring it in the hopper.

I appreciate the advice to avoid the Pea & stick with Nut as it looks like I've got a mixture of Pea thru Stove anyways.

Coal 003.JPG
(167.99 KiB) Viewed 6 times
[nepathumb]42980[/nepathumb]

Coal 004.JPG
(178.61 KiB) Viewed 5 times
[nepathumb]42981[/nepathumb]
JohnB

PostBy: freetown fred On: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:36 pm

Never used one, but have read to many negatives here on the FORUM--there's always exceptions to everything.
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

PostBy: franco b On: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:28 pm

JohnB wrote:
freetown fred wrote:Not a big fan of any kind of stainless liner.

Why? I've run my 600 through one for over 20 years with no problems. Easy to clean & durable. What's not to like??

The difference is burning coal which will have lower stack temperatures than wood. The flue gas is corrosive and even more so if the coal is wet. Some wood smoke to start and end the season I think helps but the main problem is very low stack temperatures (below 200 on the surface) for long periods. An interior chimney will also stay warmer.
franco b

PostBy: Lightning On: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:55 pm

JohnB wrote:I may not be burning wood in the Hitzer afterall. Just found out that I can (legally) run two insulated stainless liners up through my unlined single outlet chimney. I've got a guy coming over next week to check out the job & make sure the id of my chimney is big enough. If this works out I'll install my smaller F500 Jotul in the house for Spring & Fall heating & just use the Hitzer for coal burning when the temps drop. The F600 Jotul I've been heating the house with will move to my shop.

You might reconsider using two stoves.. Or at least reconsider trying to run two pipes up one chimney. I've never used a SS liner but there are many reports that they don't last very long for coal. Fly ash from coal contains sulfur which combines with moisture to form sulfuric acid. This acid and metal DO NOT get along very well. Below is a picture of a normal stove pipe after using it for the winter then I didn't clean it. The summer humidity along with the fly ash made quick work of it :lol:

A better solution might be just to use coal in the Hitzer and not use the other stove. Coal fires can be choked down to run low and slow in the shoulder months. There are a few people here that use both wood and coal but many go coal and don't look back. Just my two cents worth :D
Attachments
IMG_20120923_123816.jpg
(126.46 KiB) Viewed 6 times
[nepathumb]42982[/nepathumb]
Lightning

Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut Size / White Ash

PostBy: JohnB On: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:14 pm

I'll be running an insulated liner up through an interior chimney so it will be as warm as any chimney is going to get. The house is basically built around the massive center chimney/fireplace structure. Since the woodstove & now the coal stove sits right on the massive hearth the entire brick structure is warmed by the stove during the day & continues to radiate heat into the house during the night when the fire is burning low. I'll be going with 316 stainless liners which are corrosion resistant and are warranteed for life as long as you do a yearly cleaning. There is no way you can compare the durability of a good quality 316 stainless liner to cheap black stove pipe. Just so we are clear I have an unlined 250 year old chimney so there are only 2 options whether I'm burning coal or wood as I'm not about to tear down the massive 5 fireplace structure & rebuild it with modern clay liner.

1/ Cast in lining like Golden Flue. Recent quote $18,000 & up. (Not going to happen.)
2/ Insulated stainless liner/s. Cost effective & meets local code. (Way to go.)
JohnB

PostBy: franco b On: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:18 pm

That seems ideal to me. With reasonable flue temps. and warm interior chimney plus dry coal it should last very well.
franco b

PostBy: JohnB On: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:40 pm

Keep in mind that there are several quality levels when it comes to stainless liners. Less expensive liners are thinner & most older liners weren't 316 stainless. I could certainly see where someone that installed a lower priced non 316 liner could have had longevity issues using it with a coal stove whereas that same liner would have lasted indefinitely burning wood. The 316 liners are rated for coal burning & you have several choices as far as thickness of the stainless, smooth inside surface, ect. All affect the final price.
JohnB

PostBy: nortcan On: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:47 pm

JohnB, is it possible for you to give us some infos or links about these insulated St-St liners?
Thanks
nortcan

Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

PostBy: warminmn On: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:23 pm

About the wet coal. Mine was dripping wet 2 years ago when I put it into my house porch in I think July. It gets pretty warm in the porch, about like a white tin shed. It has a dry floor. It was plenty dry when I used it that winter except the bottom row. Mine were stacked 16-17 bags high and 3 deep. 3 ton in the one tall pile. I'm not saying yours will be, but mine was fine to use, no issues at all except the bottom bags. Last year it wasnt quite as wet when I bought it but no problems except for some I had stacked outside under tarp. This year it was a little wet but Im not worried about it at all. I hope your as lucky.
warminmn

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite. Soft coal
Other Heating: wood

Visit Hitzer Stoves