Would it concern you if the Fed caused the Great Depression?

Forum rules
As the title "Thoughtful and Intelligent Debates" implies we want quality discussion in this forum. If you're going to post a new topic or reply to one here please make sure it fits the following guidelines.

• Clear and descriptive title for your topic.
  • You don't need to write a book but please have a reasonable amount of material to support or dispute what you are discussing.
  • Outside references to material to support or dispute your argument can be used but they should not wholly make up your argument. If for example you reference a news article please explain exactly what you are referencing and why.
  • Stay on topic, while topics will wander in the general forums we want to keep them strictly on topic in this forum. Flaming will not be tolerated at all.

Re: Would it concern you if the Fed caused the Great Depression?

PostBy: jpete On: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:47 am

Looks like he got Ron Paul's old filing cabinet when he moved out. :)
jpete

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

PostBy: VigIIPeaBurner On: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:04 pm

Performing some CPR on this thread.

Goldman Sachs is at it using the unlimited access to free money they got. Precious metals? Beer cans to the rescue!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/21/busin ... =all&_r=2&
VigIIPeaBurner

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

PostBy: CapeCoaler On: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:24 pm

goin' after the copper next...
CapeCoaler

Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

PostBy: anthony7812 On: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:56 am

ooooo, copper! REDNECK GOLD in these parts. Im at a loss on how the fed causing the great depression would benefit them? I guess more power legislation in the aftermath? I gotta reread this thread.
anthony7812

Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Nut/Anthracite

PostBy: mattcoalburner On: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:46 pm

lsayre wrote:Perhaps the major difference that I can see between the current economic malaise and the Great Depression is that in the current situation it is not the Federal Reserve that is contracting the money supply intentionally, but rather that the Wall Street and mega-bank types have made a relatively new toy call derivatives (side bets placed upon real economic transactions, often called insurance policies in an attempt to legitimize them) into a monster of proportions far exceeding not only the entire globes GDP, but also its net worth, and by factors of 100 or more. These highly leveraged time bombs can not possibly ever pay off, since all of the money on earth is nowhere near enough to cover all of the bets currently sitting on the gaming table. The Federal Reserve didn't create this derivatives mess, but as these instruments of financial destruction implode the Fed feels it is their task to cover for them by forever bailing out the various "too big to fail" players who sit at the gaming table. As these instruments of financial destruction implode they destroy wealth and contract the money supply. Ben sees this as being akin to what the Fed itself did in the very late 20's and right on through the 30's and into the 40's. He is therefore confident that the solution to what in reality is "Gambling Gone Wild" is to throw endless money at the gamblers. Is he right? Or is he merely fueling the fire of their addiction? And can their gambling binge go on forever with Fed assistance?

So far only a very tiny fraction of the gambling bets have imploded and required Fed covering....

Its not all about wall street, our government debt (social programs mostly) are causing our government to print too much money again
mattcoalburner

Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading Juniata

PostBy: mattcoalburner On: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:46 pm

lsayre wrote:Perhaps the major difference that I can see between the current economic malaise and the Great Depression is that in the current situation it is not the Federal Reserve that is contracting the money supply intentionally, but rather that the Wall Street and mega-bank types have made a relatively new toy call derivatives (side bets placed upon real economic transactions, often called insurance policies in an attempt to legitimize them) into a monster of proportions far exceeding not only the entire globes GDP, but also its net worth, and by factors of 100 or more. These highly leveraged time bombs can not possibly ever pay off, since all of the money on earth is nowhere near enough to cover all of the bets currently sitting on the gaming table. The Federal Reserve didn't create this derivatives mess, but as these instruments of financial destruction implode the Fed feels it is their task to cover for them by forever bailing out the various "too big to fail" players who sit at the gaming table. As these instruments of financial destruction implode they destroy wealth and contract the money supply. Ben sees this as being akin to what the Fed itself did in the very late 20's and right on through the 30's and into the 40's. He is therefore confident that the solution to what in reality is "Gambling Gone Wild" is to throw endless money at the gamblers. Is he right? Or is he merely fueling the fire of their addiction? And can their gambling binge go on forever with Fed assistance?

So far only a very tiny fraction of the gambling bets have imploded and required Fed covering....

Its not all about wall street, our government debt (social programs mostly) are causing our government to print too much money again
mattcoalburner

Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading Juniata

PostBy: gunloader55 On: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:01 pm

I know many on here heard stories from parents or others that lived thru the depression.Many people i fear want be ready when times get hard again.just heard today real debt no.is 211 trillon so i see hard times coming.

Started pawn shop in 2000 and have seen class of customers changing last few yrs.Many people in now pawning that never would 4-5 yrs ago,I'm telling you for lots of folks there's a depression now.Thats why i've dropped rates from 25% to 15% and lower at times,because i have to live with myself.

And when it happens again dem. and rep. are at fault we've all be sold out for greed and power
gunloader55

Stove/Furnace Model: Glenwood 6 & wm 414a

PostBy: samhill On: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:22 am

As I said many times GL the difference between the two is we're in a recession when your neighbors are out of work & it's a depression when you are out of work. Same goes for many things now a days, when the fighting our young folks are doing is a five minute edited piece on the evening news there is no war but if bullets are aimed at you your in a war. It's become the American way if it doesn't directly effect you then it doesn't exist, maybe that's why we never paid for the last two, not even a penny out of pocket for the wars, they even cut taxes. :cry: Nobody cares for anyone except themselves for the most part anymore, your an exception to the rule.
samhill

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75

PostBy: jpete On: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:48 pm

When you say "nobody", you mean the nobodies that make policy in D.C.?

Because I know I nearly died of heat stoke down there protesting GWB's wars.

Odd that "nobody" on the left seems to feel the same about President Peace Prize's wars.....
jpete

PostBy: samhill On: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:02 pm

Jpete, I get tired of the once again & still yet with you, you pick out the words & leave the rest, I said for the most part. Exactly what other wars are our troops fighting except maybe trying to get paid? Never mind it would just go back to 1913 or there abouts.
samhill

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75

PostBy: jpete On: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:16 pm

Ask the family of the RI National Guard member who was one of the "UN troops" that got assassinated by the Afghan he was training what war we are fighting...
jpete

PostBy: LoschStoker On: Fri May 16, 2014 9:20 pm

The Creature from Jekyll Island
How the Federal Reserve got started.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dukczz_kyco
LoschStoker

Hand Fed Coal Stove: (New) Warm Morning 400A
Stove/Furnace Make: Losch 350 130k BTU's

PostBy: oliver power On: Sun May 18, 2014 9:02 pm

Here's what I don't understand.......... Of the two political parties, how could one party stand by, and watch the other party run the entire country into the ground. I would think the opposite party would slam the brakes on, and say "WAIT JUST A MINUTE"! "NO WAY ARE WE GOING TO LET YOU CONTINUE"! Instead, the opposite party says " IT'S THERE TURN, WE CAN'T DO ANYTHING". I think it's a lot of BULL. I can go on, and on, but I won't. I have more important things to do. Oliver
oliver power

Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-Vigilant-II)
Baseburners & Antiques: MANY (Mostly when burning wood)
Stove/Furnace Make: HITZER / KEYSTOKER
Stove/Furnace Model: 50-93 & 30-95 , Kaa-2

PostBy: jpete On: Sun May 18, 2014 9:07 pm

You went off the rails by assuming there are two parties.
jpete

PostBy: oliver power On: Sun May 18, 2014 9:15 pm

jpete wrote:You went off the rails by assuming there are two parties.
You're probably right Pete. It's a big hoax on all of us. Keep us baffled. Can always point the finger at the other side.
oliver power

Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-Vigilant-II)
Baseburners & Antiques: MANY (Mostly when burning wood)
Stove/Furnace Make: HITZER / KEYSTOKER
Stove/Furnace Model: 50-93 & 30-95 , Kaa-2