I own a wheeled toilet! Vent about automotive nightmares

Re: I own a wheeled toilet! Vent about automotive nightmares

PostBy: Poconoeagle On: Tue May 28, 2013 8:45 am

I'm On Fire wrote:LOL, this is too good. I was on vacation for 6 days, for a total of 11 including weekends. I go out to my work van and spam the key FOB asking myself, 'Why in the hell isn't this thing unlocking?' I get in the truck, put the key in the ignition and nothing. Truck won't start. I call my boss and tell him and he says, 'Yup, common problem. Happens to everyone who goes on vacation. It's because of the GPS that we install in it.

So, here I sit at my house waiting for GE Fleet to call me back with a tow truck so I can get it jumped. LOL Is there a reason these idiots don't hook the GPS up to the hot wire on the ignition? At least this way when I shut the truck off the GPS shuts off and doesn't kill my battery.

american cars the cigar lighter is always hot..chink cars it goes off when key is off...... whoops should have said Oriental... 8-)
Poconoeagle

Stove/Furnace Make: Buckwalter & Co. , EFM520
Stove/Furnace Model: No. 28 Glenwood 1880, Alaska

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Tue May 28, 2013 11:12 am

Poconoeagle wrote:
I'm On Fire wrote:LOL, this is too good. I was on vacation for 6 days, for a total of 11 including weekends. I go out to my work van and spam the key FOB asking myself, 'Why in the hell isn't this thing unlocking?' I get in the truck, put the key in the ignition and nothing. Truck won't start. I call my boss and tell him and he says, 'Yup, common problem. Happens to everyone who goes on vacation. It's because of the GPS that we install in it.

So, here I sit at my house waiting for GE Fleet to call me back with a tow truck so I can get it jumped. LOL Is there a reason these idiots don't hook the GPS up to the hot wire on the ignition? At least this way when I shut the truck off the GPS shuts off and doesn't kill my battery.

american cars the cigar lighter is always hot..chink cars it goes off when key is off...... whoops should have said Oriental... 8-)

The best line my boss gave me when I called him, 'Why did you call Fleet? Why don't you just jump it out yourself with your car?", I replied "So, you guys won't let me change the tire on the truck because the jack is no longer rated for the truck due to the cage, boxes and rack. But you want me to risk blowing up either my car or the van trying to jump it? No, thanks. I'll take the morning off and wait for Fleet to send the wrecker with the cables."

Corporate weenies. No, no you can't do that...but we'll allow you to do that if it means you don't have to wait for a wrecker and make us money. If they were intelligent in the first place they would've wired their little "spy-on-you" device to a switched power source instead of directly to the battery.

He also said that if the field techs go on vacation but don't actually go anywhere they have to run the trucks every few days to prevent the battery from dying. Does that mean they'll pay us the OT to do it? Probably not. So, what are we supposed to do if we go away? Give the key to a neighbor and have them run the truck? No, because they aren't authorized to operate the truck and you can be fired for allowing someone else in the truck. Unless of course, they are a mechanic.
I'm On Fire

Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

PostBy: Poconoeagle On: Tue May 28, 2013 11:28 am

id maybe find the feed wire to it and clip it....eventually thier red tape will call it in for repair and they can upgrade to a satallite controlled "vacation mode" unit!! :D
Poconoeagle

Stove/Furnace Make: Buckwalter & Co. , EFM520
Stove/Furnace Model: No. 28 Glenwood 1880, Alaska

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Tue May 28, 2013 11:43 am

Poconoeagle wrote:id maybe find the feed wire to it and clip it....eventually thier red tape will call it in for repair and they can upgrade to a satallite controlled "vacation mode" unit!! :D

Oh, that's no problem, the brain is under the dash board. There was a time I unplugged it and drove around for a week without it. It tossed a flag within minutes of being unplugged and they had the GPS company chasing me to get it fixed. The tech would call me and as to set up a time to fix it. I'd give him a job location and time then make sure I was done with the job before he showed up. He'd call me asking where I was and I'd tell him I was on the road to the next job so then he'd reschedule for another day. Eventually I got tired of him following me around and missing me by minutes that I was just like, "Oh...look...it just came unplugged. I'll just plug it back in." and he was like, 'Well I still need to come test it to make sure it's working properly.' and then I said, "By working properly you mean all the little LEDs are blinking on the side of the box right? Because if so they are all blinking. No need for you to come "test it.""
I'm On Fire

PostBy: SMITTY On: Thu May 30, 2013 12:37 am

Don't feel bad. My former employer now has 6 CAMERAS on the front, rear, sides and 2 IN THE CAB pointed straight at you and the passenger of all their trucks. Whenever there is sudden braking, swerving, or a rocking motion (side to side) of the truck, the camera is triggered, and they will see 8 seconds BEFORE the trigger, and 8 seconds AFTER ... so if you were texting, stuffing your face with a footlong grinder, or rubbernecking at the hookers in front of city hall, then, you get to look for another job tomorrow.

This seems wrong on sooo many levels ....
SMITTY

Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Thu May 30, 2013 6:34 am

SMITTY wrote:Don't feel bad. My former employer now has 6 CAMERAS on the front, rear, sides and 2 IN THE CAB pointed straight at you and the passenger of all their trucks. Whenever there is sudden braking, swerving, or a rocking motion (side to side) of the truck, the camera is triggered, and they will see 8 seconds BEFORE the trigger, and 8 seconds AFTER ... so if you were texting, stuffing your face with a footlong grinder, or rubbernecking at the hookers in front of city hall, then, you get to look for another job tomorrow.

This seems wrong on sooo many levels ....

I'd be looking at disabling them.
I'm On Fire

PostBy: SMITTY On: Thu May 30, 2013 9:43 am

Yeah, they fire you for that too.

There is no escape! You WILL conform!! :lol:
SMITTY

PostBy: rberq On: Thu May 30, 2013 12:18 pm

SMITTY wrote:There is no escape! You WILL conform!! :lol:

It's a relief to know that SOMEBODY is keeping an eye on you. :)
rberq

Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300
Coal Size/Type: Nut -- Kimmel/Blaschak/Reading
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators, propane

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Thu May 30, 2013 1:36 pm

SMITTY wrote:Yeah, they fire you for that too.

There is no escape! You WILL conform!! :lol:

Electrical tape or duct tape on the lenses doesn't really count as disabling them though. They are technically still on after all. Just cover them when the truck is off so they don't see you doing it. Unless they are on all the time? Then when they ask why the cameras are off just play dumb. And when they want to come look at them pull the tape before they show up.

Or...just quit under the, "I don't have to take this *censored* and I won't so go pound salt." which is what I'd actually do.
I'm On Fire

PostBy: SMITTY On: Fri May 31, 2013 9:14 am

Same here. Looks like I left at the perfect time. 8-)
SMITTY

PostBy: Rick 386 On: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:38 pm

Time to rejuvenate this thread.

Daughter has an '08 Volvo XC 90 with the 4.4l V-8. Overall a nice car. Got all the bells and whistles.

A year ago in August she was getting ready to head to Ocean City ,NJ for a week's vacation. Day before they are going to leave, it appears the battery is dying. Get her a new one and opt for the larger capacity 900 cca battery vs the 600 that came stock. Everything's fine and dandy.

Now along comes inspection time this past July and she goes to another shop who I usually recommend to others. She get it inspected and mentions she is having hard starting issues. They immediately sell her another battery. This one rated for 720 cca. I guess she doesn't mention that I had just replaced it a couple months earlier. But the thing that gets me is they didn't notice that a brand new battery was already in there ??? I even punched the date codes out.

But now she still is having hard starting issues. So now I get involved again. I tell her to go down to Volvo stealership and have them do load tests, etc to see if something else is going on with it. The stealership said that the problem was that the other shop had installed the wrong battery. It should have only installed a 600 amp hour battery and that with the bigger battery, it was causing the hard starting problem. Friggin really ???? How the hell does installing a larger capacity battery create problems as long as the alternator is still functioning properly ????? I blow it off as incompetence and the fact that they wanted to sell her the 3rd battery in a little over a year.

So the other night she calls in a panic, it is really starting hard. So she gets her mom's car and I bring her car to the shop. We first clean off all the terminals and check all the wiring from the trunk mounted battery all the way to the starter. Some corrosion but nothing really bad. Try it it's better but and it still starts a little hard. So I decide to pull the starter and have it bench tested. At least this way we can eliminate the starter as a possible problem.

WHAT A BIG EFFIN' MISTAKE !!!!!!!!!! Can't find tech info on it so I subscribe to Volvo online tech support for a 3 day tour. After getting promised that I will get tech info, all they provide is updates to the published manuals, TSB's and MSDS data. Finally get info from ALLDATADIY. We have to drain the radiator, and almost remove half the friggin motor to get to the starter located on top of the tranny on the driver's side. Flat rate time is 2.1 hours. They can stick that time up their ass !!!!!!

So we finally get the starter out and it is drawing 200 amps on the bench test with no load.......... No friggin' wonder it was hard starting. But now you can't get any parts anywhere to rebuild it. $500.00 later from the stealership and a new starter is sitting here waiting to get installed.

Finally installed it with 2 of us spending 2 hours working together. That is 4 man hours just on the install. But I do have to say that the motor definitely cranks over now. I don't think it ever started this easy.

Rick
Rick 386

Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

PostBy: rberq On: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:10 pm

Rick 386 wrote:Flat rate time is 2.1 hours. They can stick that time up their ass !!!!!! ....
We have to drain the radiator, and almost remove half the friggin motor to get to the starter located on top of the tranny on the driver's side.
Finally installed it with 2 of us spending 2 hours working together. That is 4 man hours just on the install.

Heck, if I thought I had to do all that work, I'd just sell you a battery, too. :P
rberq

PostBy: gaw On: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:12 pm

Rick 386 wrote:Daughter has an '08 Volvo XC 90 with the 4.4l V-8. Overall a nice car. Got all the bells and whistles.

That’s all you had to say. We can fill in the rest. :funny: :funny: :funny:
gaw

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:39 pm

My wife is driving me crazy. Every few weeks the brakes on her Subaru start to squeal. She starts complaining and off to the shop it goes. I keep telling her to have them redo the brakes. No, she doesn't want to spend the money so she just gets the damn rotors cut. Then two weeks later it starts all over. I'm about to order AMERICAN made rotors to get the noisy piece of *censored* Chinese rotors off so I can get some peace and quiet. But she doesn't want to spend the money. So today I told her if she doesn't let me fix the brakes I'm getting rid of the car so I don't have to hear her bitch. She wants the problem fixed but doesn't want to spend the money to do it correctly.
I'm On Fire

PostBy: rberq On: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:55 pm

I had a Civic coupe, the garage put new rotors / new pads / rebuilt calipers on it. Then I gave the car to my son. A year later he told me the brakes were worn out, BOTH sides, because the calipers were sticking. WTF? :mad:
rberq