Can a 6" Stainless Steel Class A chimney installer do this?

Re: Can a 6" Stainless Steel Class A chimney installer do this?

PostBy: franco b On: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:57 am

Why do you want a hand fired when you already have a stoker, which presumably is ducted to all areas of the house?
franco b

Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

PostBy: lsayre On: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:02 am

franco b wrote:Why do you want a hand fired when you already have a stoker, which presumably is ducted to all areas of the house?

I'm trying to be prepared for the potential of a substantial and extended duration loss of grid sourced electrical power, which would take down my boiler. I haven't got the funds to install a grid tie with battery back-up solar system (though I dream about it often).
lsayre

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (if I ever get it fixed)

PostBy: franco b On: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:24 am

Then the upstairs is the better spot for much easier and less costly chimney installation plus better heat distribution. Much less chance of chimney reversal too. Drawbacks are you have to make it look nice and there is still the danger of the basement getting too cold and perhaps freezing pipes on the periphery.

As a coal enthusiast you might also enjoy looking at and tending a handsome stove in the living room.
franco b

Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

PostBy: lsayre On: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:28 am

franco b wrote:As a coal enthusiast you might also enjoy looking at and tending a handsome stove in the living room.

That is a strong motivator in this case. I like the idea of cozying up to a nice hot stove also.

Let's just say that one of these is my good reason, and one is my real reason. ;)
lsayre

PostBy: Rob R. On: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:55 am

This is a single story house? For the simple purpose of backup heat, I would put a big hand-fed in the basement. It won't heat all the rooms evenly, but neither will a stove in the living room. Might as well have a warm basement and warm floors. If you want a stove in the living room for radiant heat and aesthetics, that is a different story...I am speaking purely about emergency heat.

My brother has a big Hitzer in the basement of his house. Basement is around 1600 sq. ft and so is the first floor...that stove will hold the first floor at 70 (average, some areas warmer, some cooler) in below zero weather, with just the basement stairwell for air exchange. He keeps a ton of nut coal on hand, so at any time he is one match away from having weeks of heat that doesn't require electricity.
Rob R.

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

PostBy: lsayre On: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:41 pm

Rob R. wrote:This is a single story house? For the simple purpose of backup heat, I would put a big hand-fed in the basement. It won't heat all the rooms evenly, but neither will a stove in the living room. Might as well have a warm basement and warm floors. If you want a stove in the living room for radiant heat and aesthetics, that is a different story...I am speaking purely about emergency heat.

My brother has a big Hitzer in the basement of his house. Basement is around 1600 sq. ft and so is the first floor...that stove will hold the first floor at 70 (average, some areas warmer, some cooler) in below zero weather, with just the basement stairwell for air exchange. He keeps a ton of nut coal on hand, so at any time he is one match away from having weeks of heat that doesn't require electricity.

Yes, it's a single story house with a finished walk out basement that is our family room. 1,680 square feet upstairs, and half of that downstairs for the family room, with the other half of the downstairs being our garage, a bathroom, a utility room, and our isolated boiler room. The bedrooms are mainly sitting over the garage area, with the exception of the one bedroom adjacent to the Living Room, which sits atop the boiler room.

There is a wood-burning fireplace insert downstairs tied to an outside brick and terracotta chimney, but it has been known to back-draft on occasion, so I'm leery of using that chimney for a coal stove. On my drawing this chimney and fireplace insert is positioned at the bottom centerline.
lsayre