PostBy: franco b On: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:12 pm

Ike was just elected and there was hope the Korean war would end with the election of a no nonsense General.

It certainly was a different world and country then and when I ran across this little tidbit it brought home one of the differences. It's from Russell Bakers book "The Good Times". He is 27 and has learned his wife is pregnant and is worried how he will pay the expense on his $70 weekly salary.

"The doctor alone wanted $100 for delivering the baby. What's more, the hospital wanted $50 deposit right away. Whether this would pay all hospital costs seemed doubtful as I scanned its prices: $3 a day for the nursery, $15 for the delivery room, $9.50 a day for a private room. Mimi agreed to settle for a semiprivate room at $7 a day."

Seems to put the progress we have made into perspective.

Russell Baker won a Pulitzer Prize for his book "Growing Up" which I read years ago and enjoyed very much. This book is a sequel.

Another quote of his which I like very much is:
"Usually, terrible things that are done with the excuse that progress requires them are not really progress at all, but just terrible things."
franco b

Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea