Koker 160 setup

Koker 160 setup

PostBy: jkush On: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:57 am

Hello Everyone. I'm back at trying to hook up my Koker 160 to my existing ductwork. Over the summer I had my AC\Propane furnace moved from my attic to my basement garage. My next step is to connect the koker to the existing ductwork. When I look at koker owners manual I see a diagonal line where it connects. Is that a damper of some kind. My concern is in the summer when ac is running I do not want to circulate cold air thorough koker and visa versa in the winter. I was thinking I would need some type of damper in both the ac and koker loops to block airflow when out of season. My other thought is if I have both blowers (they are both about 1400cfm) turn on at he the same time to keep air from circulating through unit that is not running. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

One more question: I live in Schuylkill county PA and I am looking for somewhere to buy duct parts. Our local Lowe's and home depot don't seem to have what I am looking for.

Thank you
John
jkush

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: KeyStoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystone
Stove/Furnace Model: Koker

Re: Koker 160 setup

PostBy: CoaLen On: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:52 pm

John,
I installed my Koker similar to the way you describe it except I only run one blower motor at a time. When heating with coal, the Koker blower does all the work. When heating with propane only the furnace blower runs.
Here's how my system is set up:
The heat duct goes from the top of the Koker into the plenum on my propane furnace. I made it as big as possible. My air return ducts come from the main cold air return into both side of the Koker blower motor. I installed one backflow damper in my heat duct between the Koker and the plenum, one in the plenum itself and use the filters wrapped in plastic as dampers in the return ducts in both the Koker and the propane furnace.
When I heat with the propane furnace the plenum damper is open, the Koker heat damper is closed, the furnace filter is uncovered, the Koker filters are covered.
When I heat with coal the plenum damper is closed, the Koker damper is open, the furnace filter is covered, the Koker filters are uncovered.
It takes me about 2 minutes to change from one fuel to the other. And you're right, you must have the two systems that share duct work separated by dampers or you'll create a loop that will tend to circulate thru the furnaces instead of heating the house.

I bought all my material from a local distributor of "Graymetal Products" I called Graymetal for the name of their distributor in my area. They've got a very good catalog you can download from http://www.graymetal.com/products

Good luck. I hope this helps.
-Len
Attachments
Furnace Reinstall1 .jpg
(156.03 KiB) Viewed 41 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
starter collar in top of plenum and plenum damper below
[nepathumb]43700[/nepathumb]
Koker Reinstall5_101709.jpg
(118.31 KiB) Viewed 66 times
insulated heat duct running to propane furnace and 10" dia return ducts running into both sides of Koker motor
[nepathumb]43701[/nepathumb]
Furnace Reinstall7.jpg
(139.58 KiB) Viewed 39 times
Koker heat duct with damper shown connected to plenum. Duct was later insulated.
[nepathumb]43702[/nepathumb]
CoaLen

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: rice

PostBy: jkush On: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:58 pm

Thank you very much CoaLen. I really like the idea of wrapping the filters I was trying to figure out how to block the returns. How did you go about attach the return pipes to you koker filters? I was told by keystoker that I should use 10 inch pipes. How do you like your Koker? Off to check out the link you sent. Again thank you.

I noticed you are connecting your manometer to the hole on the front side ash drawer is that where I should connect mine (Looks like we got the same manometers)? What did you use for the line (Rubber, Metal....Tubing). From what I could see it looks like your chimney pipe is disconnected. Is this to cut down on corrosion when not in use? Thanks Again.

John
jkush

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: KeyStoker Koker
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystone

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

PostBy: CoaLen On: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:44 am

John,
My returns are 10" dia. I connected them with 10" starter collars:
CIMG1296.JPG
(81.46 KiB) Viewed 27 times
[nepathumb]43814[/nepathumb]
CIMG1298.JPG
(95.53 KiB) Viewed 33 times
[nepathumb]43815[/nepathumb]

My manometer is connected to a copper tube using a compression fitting and a barbed fitting that I purchased at Home Depot:
CIMG1299.JPG
(250.28 KiB) Viewed 10 times
[nepathumb]43816[/nepathumb]
CIMG1302.JPG
(279.35 KiB) Viewed 22 times
[nepathumb]43817[/nepathumb]

I do remove my direct vent pipe during the summer. Part of my effort to seal the Koker up to reduce corrosion. It also gives me the opportunity to do a good cleaning on the vent pipe and motor/fan.
CIMG1307.JPG
(249.96 KiB) Viewed 38 times
[nepathumb]43818[/nepathumb]

Just FYI: I used the space between my floor joists as a duct to run my returns. This has worked out well.
CIMG1304.JPG
(254.6 KiB) Viewed 16 times
[nepathumb]43819[/nepathumb]

(one last photo)Furnace damper pulled out for summer (A/C or propane) operation:
CIMG1306.JPG
(256.58 KiB) Viewed 39 times
[nepathumb]43820[/nepathumb]

I hope these help.
-Len
CoaLen

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: rice

PostBy: WNYRob On: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:39 pm

If you are interested in another idea John, I have a similar set up but I ran 12" square ducts off each of the koker's filter frame, then 8 x 12 ducts vertically to connect the 12"ers to my existing cold air returns. I got the duct work from Audubon Supply and Lowes. The size of you cold air return ducts depends on your heating ducts. They should be balanced or better yet, a little bigger air return than output.

stove front.JPG
(131.84 KiB) Viewed 88 times
[nepathumb]43821[/nepathumb]

stove open.JPG
(116.87 KiB) Viewed 53 times
Copper tubing on right side of stove for manometer.
[nepathumb]43822[/nepathumb]

stove info center.JPG
(96.8 KiB) Viewed 46 times
Stove's "information center"
[nepathumb]43823[/nepathumb]
WNYRob

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker Koker controlled with CoalTrol

PostBy: LiftedAWDAstro On: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:08 am

I hooked mine in series. I just move the blower for winter/summer operation. I basically split the cold air plenum of my oil furnace and mounted the blower in the upper section to blow out the side. I then ran 14" duct to the blower port in the bottom of the Koker. I had a rectangular plenum built for the top of the Koker and a transition piece to go back to 14" round duct. I then ran that into the bottom of the oil furnace cold air side. Doing it this way allows either the oil furnace or the Koker to heat the house without me doing anything. If we leaver for a few days and the Koker runs out, the oil furnace kicks on at 60*.

The link for pics is in my signature under the purchase and install thread. Pics start on page 2 for the ductwork.
LiftedAWDAstro

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker 160
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker

Visit Lehigh Anthracite