European coal/pellet boilers

European coal/pellet boilers

PostBy: tessla72 On: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:48 pm

I am in the market for a coal boiler and while researching coal boilers I came across http://www.kotly.com and would like to know if anyone has installed a PER EKO, TEKLA, Klimosz, etc.. here in the US. I like the controls and ability to burn coal/pellets automatically and having a separate chamber for larger coal and wood seems useful i.e. Tekla Draco DUO

http://kotly.com/product_info.php?curre ... ts_id=3877

I will mostly likely buy an EFM or Keystoker since they are US made and local but am curious.
tessla72

Re: European coal/pellet boilers

PostBy: 2001Sierra On: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:20 pm

If you are in the US do yourself a favor and buy domestic "US". Years ago I had a Buderus hand fed one of a few in the US, importer not far from me, but you are very much alone with some products no matter how well they are made.
2001Sierra

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34
Stove/Furnace Model: Keystoker 90 Chimney Vent

PostBy: KLook On: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:34 pm

Looks like a great unit, but multifuel units usually don't burn anything very well in order to be able to burn everything. Still, I would like to see some real life use testified to.

Kevin
KLook

Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF 3000
Coal Size/Type: rice, bagged, Blaschak
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman (Back In Maine)
Stove/Furnace Model: VF 3000

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

PostBy: lsayre On: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:59 pm

Do they use anthracite in Europe, or are these stoves built to stoke bit (or coke)?

My English neighbor told me that they burned coke in a backburner in his house in the UK. He said he thought that the residential burning of coal had been outlawed in the UK, and coke was all that was still permitted.
lsayre

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13 KW)

PostBy: Carbon12 On: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:57 pm

Eco Pea Coal is a manufactured pellet like product NOT regular Pea Coal. I'd research availability
Carbon12

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

PostBy: Berlin On: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:14 pm

when those boilers say "coal" they are typically designed for low coke button lignite pellets or bituminous coal; some are even designed for powder and slack bit coal. Regardless they're for low coke button coals.

As far as the residential burning of bituminous coal - still legal and commonplace outside of "smoke control areas" (urban areas, towns w/ pop above a certain number). Your neighbor likely burned coke because he had to use a smokeless fuel in his town area; although burning of petcoke is common even outside of smoke control areas because it was historically inexpensive and comparable to prices on bituminous house coal.
Berlin

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Will-Burt Combustioneer 77B
Coal Size/Type: Ohio BITUMINOUS pea stoker coal

Visit Lehigh Anthracite