Home security

Re: Home security

PostBy: titleist1 On: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:51 am

KLook wrote:My neighbors dogs bark at ANY sound. Very annoying. I am seeking solutions if any of you have some clever ones.

I think you should get an alarm system that allows personalized alarm sounds like cell phone ringers......

and then use a dog barking sound for every keypad entry and alert!! :lol: :P
titleist1

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite

PostBy: KLook On: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:36 pm

As per Sam saying dogs are perceptive...yes. I went to a highly secure house the other day with a loose dog for deterrence. He was very aggressive so I jumped out and ignored him until he got close and then I told him I would kill him with a hammer if need be. He stayed aggressive from a safe distance the rest of my stay. He didnt get close again until I got in my truck. Smart dog. If the hammer didn't work my 9mm would have.

Kevin
KLook

Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF 3000
Coal Size/Type: rice, bagged, Blaschak
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman (Back In Maine)
Stove/Furnace Model: VF 3000

PostBy: ramblerboy2 On: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:01 pm

Lots of folks have them (security systems) around here. Lots of them are never used; or only set when no one will be home for an extended period, such as a vacation. My parents have had one since the mid-1980s and use it constantly. I live in a much rougher neighborhood and have not bothered. Most of my neighbors don't have systems. I put bars on my basement and first floor windows, good locking hardware, and we have dogs as do my tenants. Between the dogs and the tenants and us someone is home at our house most of the time. Most of my neighbors have lived in the neighborhood for decades and most have been broken into at one time or another.

I personally am strongly tempted to get a system to monitor for fire. I am constantly afraid of the house catching on fire when no one is home and a house this old will burn fast. Makes me very nervous. A security system will alert the fire department who respond very quickly here.

I'd recommend just getting a few companies to come in and give you quotes. Ask folks who live in more urban locales for references. Security systems and the companies who install and monitor them are pretty common topics for conversation in the city.
ramblerboy2

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac MCK 508
Other Heating: Embassy Ambassador BMS natural gas boiler

PostBy: coalnewbie On: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:19 pm

My neighbor goes North for the winter as he is an avid skier. He had all the best alarm systems in the world and I and the police/fire are tired of running over for false alarms. It resets in 15 minutes and now when it goes off we just laugh.
coalnewbie

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93,
Baseburners & Antiques: Invader 2 Wings Best, Glenwood #8 + Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

PostBy: Wanna Bee On: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:41 pm

Only time my house needs to be secure is when my beautiful wife is home and I'm not. The 200 lbs of teeth take care of that (rottie and pit bull) they better be dead if your coming inside. Glock serves night watchman.
Wanna Bee

Stove/Furnace Make: Grander Stove Co.
Stove/Furnace Model: Royal Bride

PostBy: Ed.A On: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:50 pm

Wanna Bee wrote:Only time my house needs to be secure is when my beautiful wife is home and I'm not. The 200 lbs of teeth take care of that (rottie and pit bull) they better be dead if your coming inside. Glock serves night watchman.

Disregard my "Cat" pic/avatar (that was Aja my Bengal Cat that met his match with a FisherCat a few yr's ago) my 2 Rotties are the best behaved boys I've ever had...yes my human kids are great but not nearly as reliable ;-) .
When we go away on Vacation I hire a house sitter, my home is my castle...I do everything I can to protect it, outside and in.

Beware of Home Security Co.'s and their "Automatic -Re-upping Contracts"...do a search it will scare the crap out of you. The only way I could stop them from draining my parents was to Quit Claim Deed their house to me and provide proof they no longer had ownership. And this was after weeks of explaining that my mom has Alzheimers and my Dad's debilitating Stroke rendered their alarm system useless ( both can no longer remember the code to turn on and off.)
Ed.A

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

PostBy: KLook On: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:48 pm

Thanks Ed.A, I was not entertaining having a company do anything. You can buy monitoring for about $10/month depending on the level of monitoring. I am going to do a self install as the wireless stuff is just too easy. And I might hardwire in a few circuits to prevent someone jamming my wireless system.
I meant to respond to all the dog lovers about the costs of owning one let alone two large animals. The cost of purchasing such toys is ridiculous and then between shots, licensing, flea and tick treatments, food and the time spent training, along with the time to let them get out and do their business, well, you might as well hire a cop to live in your house. Then they get you attached, then they get old and infirm(in about 15 years) and then you pay to kill them. Way to much hassle to "secure" your house. A machine does not sleep, does not get distracted, does not create flea,tick, hair, and interior destruction in your house. It won't bite people you don't want it to and kill little kids. It can be defeated, but so can your dog. I like walking out my door and knowing I don't have to be back to feed, water, and scoop up some poop and allow it to kill the neighbors shrub with its pee.
I had 3 different dogs in my yard today, loose. It is just a free for all with dog owners. :x I refuse to be that inconsiderate of others. I can be an ass in a forum, but I won't inflict my dog on you. ;) :P

Kevin

Sorry about your cat....I do generally like cats.
KLook

PostBy: franco b On: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:37 pm

KLook wrote:I meant to respond to all the dog lovers about the costs of owning one let alone two large animals. The cost of purchasing such toys is ridiculous and then between shots, licensing, flea and tick treatments, food and the time spent training, along with the time to let them get out and do their business, well, you might as well hire a cop to live in your house. Then they get you attached, then they get old and infirm(in about 15 years) and then you pay to kill them. Way to much hassle to "secure" your house.

You are very right but the question then becomes why do people feel such a need? I don't know the exact why, but the need obviously is very strong in the makeup of many people. So strong and so common that it rarely is questioned. There are a lot more quirks in human behaviour that are universal and never questioned. Even avoided.
franco b

Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

PostBy: Wanna Bee On: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:40 pm

Different strokes for diffrrant folks.

Dogs really aren't that hard to live with. The piece of mind I get from them is ten fold what a magic box on my wall can do. You know what they say about every second counts.

My wife is worth dealing with having to clean up dog poop.
Wanna Bee

Stove/Furnace Make: Grander Stove Co.
Stove/Furnace Model: Royal Bride

PostBy: grumpy On: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:55 pm

I miss my dog's, I wish I could have one now. But Hell I can't even have a house plant or it will die from neglect.. :(
grumpy

PostBy: Hambden Bob On: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:20 pm

Screw it ! After you've tried all the yuppie electronic methods,you just can't beat a damned interlaced set of tripwires leading to tiger-tooth vector claymoor mines. Hell,if that gives ya' the trots,go mid-evil and install 'Ol Uncle Ham's Moat with a 6 inch layer of Napalm riding it. Grandkids love the challenge of listening to Grampa while Charlie & Hezbollah Habbob tries coming in low and slow over the wire ! Crackheads 'aint got nuthin' on those boys !
Hambden Bob

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni !

PostBy: grumpy On: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:26 pm

ROFLMAO.... :lol:
grumpy

PostBy: freetown fred On: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:25 am

HB, you got a Patent on that yet??---I WANT ONE-- ya do Buddy System Installs RIGHT--DAMN, that'll go so nice with my Gun Towers---makes a damn Patriot proud, ;) my friend
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

PostBy: KLook On: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:41 am

I love good responses!! :) Hey, if my wife is home I don't need a dog. She is an excellent shot. franco's response is spot on as we have discussed this before some time back. We complain about gas prices, we complain about the cost of living, we complain abut the costs of doctors and lawyers, on and on, but by god, I am going to have my alcohol and lottery tickets....and at least one dog or 5 cats. Maybe both. As I said, the people least able to afford them have the most and the least trained and neglected. There is a jar at the local liquor store to donate to feed the huge feral cat population living in a nearby park. (See, it is in an alcohol dispensary.) Why would you promote feral cats?
My sons in-laws also moved here. They had 2 adults, one teenage daughter, one 20 year old son, one "adult" unmarried daughter with 3 kids and one dog and then the youngest girl gets a cat. All in a 2 bedroom apartment. They get the baby factory to move in with a boyfriend(she moves quick) and what do they do? Get another dog. He is not working full time and she works at Chick-filet. Self destructive behavior.....so glad it skipped the girl my son married. They have to have the latest iphone as soon as it is released. For everyone. Unbelievable, you can't make this stuff up. Human nature franco....and I am the weirdo for not liking dogs.

Kevin
KLook

PostBy: samhill On: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:48 am

Whatever makes ones boat float, in reality we need very little but some love & a listening ear can go a long way even if they don't totally understand what your saying they pick up on the tone & respond. I tried an experiment once & after my first wife told me I couldn't go out with my buddies one night I 'accidently' locked her & my dogs in the basement (no cell phones back then) but they had TV, bathroom & such. When I came in hours later I unlocked the door, the dogs treated me like their best friend & as I said that was my first wife. Some people just can't get past little things. :mad: :lol:
samhill

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75