Exercise

Re: Exercise

PostBy: titleist1 On: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:35 pm

it's nice you found something that works for you and its commendable with your heart history that you are doing what you can to improve your odds of being around for your family. whether you realize it or not the same routine may not be beneficial for everyone and eventually time will win the battle against you and your ageless buddies. not all at the same age or all at once, but it is coming. time is undefeated and untied in all of history, but you already knew that.

seems in addition to your workout, you get some exercise hitting people over the head with your 'shovel of wisdom' too :D

like i said talk to me in about 10 -12 years....

i'll be here and be happy to pass the advil! :D
titleist1

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite

PostBy: samhill On: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:51 pm

Saw my shoulder doc today & was released two months early but not without warnings to use common sense instead of listening to that male "Y" chromosome & most of all remember my age. I too never thought age would catch up to me, I won't be around when you hit my age but others will, it does for us all. The doc did tell me I could lift once again (as I always have) but to take it easy & no more wide grips, more reps & less eight. He's real proud of the job he did & I promised I'd take care of it, there will be no more fixing if it happens again. As with everything you have to learn to listen to your body, try & protect your joints, I wouldn't wish a massive rotator tear on anyone, it definitely sends a more than subtle message.
samhill

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75

PostBy: Ed.A On: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:04 pm

samhill wrote: I wouldn't wish a massive rotator tear on anyone, it definitely sends a more than subtle message.

Unreal...seriously, my 25yr son is going in for surgery on Friday for the same thing. Doing a Prisoner Take Down Drill, "riiiiip". ( to make matters worse, Vermont Workers Comp is fighting his claim, so he will be without income for 3months and his Comp Attorney said it could 9 months to a yr to resolve).
Ed.A

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

PostBy: titleist1 On: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:14 pm

good to hear you are 'recovered' sam.

the shoulder is about the worst joint to have to repair since it's widest range of motion makes it the most complex to deal with.

i know one guy that was on the shelf athletically for about 18 months because he didn't listen and was trying to rake snow off his roof too soon.....he said the rehab after the second surgery was way more than twice as painful.
titleist1

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite

PostBy: samhill On: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:58 pm

ED, I hope it works out for your son, the surgery is a breeze but the recovery is a real bear. The best advice I can give is don't push it too hard & take notice of even the simple little things as a victory (I couldn't even lift a cup of coffee with my left arm) it's real easy to reinjure if not careful. The doc at first told me minimum of six months but said I was way ahead but not to mess up his work, he still shows interns pics of his repair so I tend to believe him when he says it's about as bad as they get.
Thanks titleist but I'm just released not healed, still a long process.
samhill

PostBy: Carbon12 On: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:36 pm

Winston Churchill never exercised, drank like a fish and smoked like a chimney. He accomplished, among other things, helping to end World War II. He lived to be 90. Draw your own conclusions.
Carbon12

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

PostBy: Short Bus On: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:21 am

47 yo. Lost 35 lb to 250 about two years ago, that fixed my blood pressure. Walk, sometimes two hours, ride rollers in the cold weather, try to be more physical in all things I do. Eat less red meat, oatmeal for breakfast, had nice squash for dinner tonight, generally trying to eat better, not real easy as I've always lived alone and there is a lot of crap out there to eat. Need to put a little more effort in and loose some more weight this fall.

Video of rollers, not me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9X-8koa8dE

My bike and rollers are from thirty years ago.
Short Bus

Stoker Coal Boiler: Kewanee boiler with Anchor stoker
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut / Sub-bituminous C
Other Heating: Propane wall furnace back up only

PostBy: samhill On: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:38 am

SB, those rollers have me a bit confused as to what advantage (if any) they would have over a exercise bike that you can control tension & even have different variable workouts on & for sure are a lot safer?
samhill

PostBy: KLook On: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:40 am

I was just about to post Sam. I stopped to think about the benefits. I think balance and concentration are key and that is what they are going for. Sitting on a stationary bike is just working the legs.

Kevin
KLook

Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF 3000
Coal Size/Type: rice, bagged, Blaschak
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman (Back In Maine)
Stove/Furnace Model: VF 3000

PostBy: Short Bus On: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:56 pm

For racers Rollers make you smooth, efficient and fast. For me Rollers, keep me alert, I'm not just pounding one leg down then the other, I'm ridding. My friends that have seen me on them think I'm a little off. :)
Short Bus

Stoker Coal Boiler: Kewanee boiler with Anchor stoker
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut / Sub-bituminous C
Other Heating: Propane wall furnace back up only

PostBy: franco b On: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:03 pm

To be fit depends on what you want to be fit for. Very few will have the dedication that rwalker has to achieve the level of fitness that he desires. Most of us just want to be able to carry out our normal activities without feeling too stressed if something a little different comes along. To be able to jump out of the way when some guy carrying a 100 pound log comes charging up the trail at us.

An excellent exercise machine is a coal stove. You can shovel coal or heft bags of it. do some curls with a 25 pound scuttle with either hand. Climb the stairs and kneel down to tend the stove. Do this twice a day.

At the super market or other stores park far away and walk briskly. Use the stairs instead of elevators and watch your weight. If you exercise just 100 calories worth additional and eat 100 calories less you will lose 1 pound every two weeks which is 25 pounds in a year. No pain. Avoid or severely limit the things you know damn well put on the fat.
franco b

Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

PostBy: freetown fred On: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:15 pm

Simplistic & functional Richard, as usual my old friend. I'm with you on all that :)
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

PostBy: gaw On: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:00 pm

Unfortunately my “job” requires me to exert very little physical effort. Walking with my suitcase is the most strenuous thing I probably do. They almost insist that we do no real work. Fortunately one of the benefits with the company is free 24/7 access to a weight and exercise room. They have quality free weights, benches, stationary bike, treadmill, elliptical, etc. I try to do 30 minutes cardio every other day at 80-90% max heart rate and lift weight about twice a week. Nothing extreme but enough weight that the last set has the muscles spent. I am just looking to maintain or gradually gain muscle tone and mass, not working to any particular goal. As far as the cardio goes, I read somewhere along the way that 30 minutes is a good amount of time to work out. To go beyond gains you less benefit for the time invested, in other words 60 minutes may be better than 30 minutes but not twice as good.

This is a little off topic but many people associate exercise with weight loss. If you never heard of this study you may find it interesting, draw your own conclusions.
(Reuters Health) - In a review of almost 100 past studies covering nearly three million people, researchers found that being overweight or slightly obese was linked to about a 6 percent lower risk of dying, compared to people considered "normal weight."
Being severely obese, however, was still tied to an almost 30 percent higher risk of death.
The idea that being somewhat overweight could be linked to better health has been dubbed the obesity paradox, even though actual obesity is generally not associated with the apparent "benefit."
"This is actually the common finding," said the new study's lead author Katherine Flegal, a senior scientist from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Hyattsville, Maryland.
Her work, she said, confirms what previous analyses found - a link between being somewhat overweight and having a lower risk of death.
The paradox, as scientists have called it, is based on past findings that suggest overweight and obese people - even those with additional health problems - live longer than their thinner counterparts
gaw

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

PostBy: Ed.A On: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:27 pm

gaw wrote: As far as the cardio goes, I read somewhere along the way that 30 minutes is a good amount of time to work out. To go beyond gains you less benefit for the time invested, in other words 60 minutes may be better than 30 minutes but not twice as good.

My gym actually has something similar to this statement posted on (along with other health tips) on posters throughout the place. Also not mentioned, if you go more than 3 days in a row of no exercise after a regimen then any gains in cardio will be lost or severely diminished. In other words, every other day is a good way to start.
Ed.A

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

PostBy: Rwalker On: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:52 pm

I had to re-read through this thread to see where I put someone's exercise routine down or spoke poorly about how someone exercised. I never did.

I didn't start this thread to debate if exercise is necessary, lengthens your life span, or wears your body out. I started it to see how many people are preparing themselves physically as much as they may be stocking up on ammo, food, cutting back on expenses, etc.

My exercise serves a purpose that goes beyond me. I don't care how much I weigh or what I look like. This is painfully obvious with my huge beard and half of my body covered with demonic tattoos. I don't care if it lengthens my life span. My exercise serves the purpose of surviving the moment of impact, whatever that may be.

Most people don't realize this but professional sports teams don't just spend millions on weight rooms and training facilities to make their players stronger and faster. You are born with the same amount of muscle fibers, and basically the same type (being fast or slow twitch) that you have right now. So, if you can't run fast or jump high, you can train until you are able to clean and jerk 400 pounds and it isn't going to add a whole lot to your jumping or sprinting ability. You can see it in kids. Some are fast and some aren't. It is a genetic thing. However; weight rooms serve a purpose for athletes. It helps make them injury proof. It helps them strengthen those tendons and ligaments and makes them able to absorb more force then normal humans. Why do fighters do neck exercises? Simple-a strong neck makes it much harder to knock someone out then a noodle neck. The neck protects the spine and head, so it stands to reason that direct neck work makes sense.

Exercising is also a great way to reduce stress. Working a heavy bag for 10-3 minute rounds with 1 minute rests leaves you feeling great. This allows you to sleep better, respond better, and live better.

I could continue on forever, but I have to put my son on the treadmill for his 2 mile run. Yeah, he is 9 and runs 2 miles 3 times a week. Damn I am a terrible father... :roll:
Rwalker

Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 983