Built a desk.....

Re: Built a desk.....

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:57 pm

Thanks guys. That's an awesome idea about the note in the bottom of it. I'll have to do that. I'm hoping this weekend I can get it all sanded down and stained and poly'd.
I'm On Fire

Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:04 pm

Finally put the finishing touches on the desk. I did end up putting a note on the bottom of it for my daughter.
Attachments
IMG_20131121_174638.jpg
(124.15 KiB) Viewed 43 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]45955[/nepathumb]
IMG_20131123_211622.jpg
(109.37 KiB) Viewed 41 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]45956[/nepathumb]
I'm On Fire

Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

PostBy: Freddy On: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:06 am

Sa-weet! That first pic didn't do it justice. Now we can see how it's custom made to fit. The finish came out well. Good going!
Freddy

Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

PostBy: lsayre On: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:14 am

That's amazing! I wish I had the talent and skills to do make really nice things like that!
lsayre

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (if I ever get it fixed)

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:23 am

Nice IOF. Does she slide out nice so you can get to that last bit of paintin? ;)
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

PostBy: dcrane On: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:02 am

Its built to last and its a great project! I do like the idea of contrasting color for more character and clearly the oak tops should be the portion left natural (high gloss black works very well if your décor calls for it), Im not sure whats going on the upper tier but small gussets are probably called for either way (if they are not their already), if you enjoy this as a hobby your going to have a ball... mortise, rabbits, tounge N grove is your next step. Through mortise on the upper tier leaving a contrasting natural wood showing would not only remove the need for gussets but it would start making the work more like "art"... I love the idea of name, date, etc. on things. I know the things my dad built but my kids or future generations do not... im going to have to mark them pretty soon for fear my grandkids might sell them for $5 at a yard sale :cry:

EDIT: just noticed the finished pics... very nice ;) time to think about your next custom piece!
dcrane

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:08 am

Hell dc, that desk is already art:) Gloss black huh? :sick: :clap: toothy
freetown fred

PostBy: dcrane On: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:27 am

freetown fred wrote:Hell dc, that desk is already art:) Gloss black huh? :sick: :clap: toothy

laugh it up! IMA take some pics of one of dads pieces next time im at mom's house and and you will see how it works ;)
dcrane

PostBy: samhill On: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:29 am

Nice job there IOF, even attached some headset hangers for a personal touch.
samhill

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:47 am

Hell dc, you did a real nice job on your stove install, I'd much rather see some of your projects--I never knew you Dad.
dcrane wrote:
freetown fred wrote:Hell dc, that desk is already art:) Gloss black huh? :sick: :clap: toothy

laugh it up! IMA take some pics of one of dads pieces next time im at mom's house and and you will see how it works ;)
freetown fred

PostBy: dcrane On: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:49 am

freetown fred wrote:Hell dc, you did a real nice job on your stove install, I'd much rather see some of your projects--I never knew you Dad.
dcrane wrote:

OK fine... might as well take some pics before I have to give up everything I spent 20 years making and maintaining :(
dcrane

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:53 am

YES--cheer up dc--it cost me $40,000.00 to get my ex off the homestead deed--that hurts up this way--I know it's not much in Ma standards BUT ;)
freetown fred

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:33 pm

freetown fred wrote:YES--cheer up dc--it cost me $40,000.00 to get my ex off the homestead deed--that hurts up this way--I know it's not much in Ma standards BUT ;)

Hit men are expensive up your way? :D
Flyer5

Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

PostBy: crazy4coal On: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:01 pm

HaHa, Was costing me 60,000+ a year to keep her and it only took 27,000 to get rid of her. It was a no brainer. Now I may be able to retire without having to live on hot dogs :D
crazy4coal

Stove/Furnace Make: buderus
Stove/Furnace Model: logana

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:24 pm

Don't be knockin tube steaks c4c between them & Banquet TV dinners, a man can at least survive nutritionally :clap: toothy
freetown fred