Overnight Coal Burns with 10lbs of coal

Overnight Coal Burns with 10lbs of coal

PostBy: dcrane On: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:33 am

temps about 40ish I had no intentions of burning through the night, but only to take the edge off "into" the night... but upon waking up after 8 hours... still churning away with low even heat (who needs wood... I don't need no stinkin' wood toothy), It amazes me at how unbelievably horrible a mistake it is for just about anyone on the eastern half of USA to buy a wood stove :shock: Must have been some big conspiracy 50 years ago to push "wood" around here (or maybe it was simply "free" back then (which is still about the ONLY reason anyone should ever buy a woodstove, and even then its "questionable").

P.S. Blaschak coal is pretty impressive after testing it 2 days now. There is no denying this is quality coal in anyone's book! anyone living next to wherever their mines are is a luck son ma biatch :mad:

P1010009.JPG
(65.96 KiB) Viewed 32 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]44802[/nepathumb]
dcrane

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Re: Overnight Coal Burns with 10lbs of coal

PostBy: Lightning On: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:12 am

Looks awesome Bro!!
Coal truly is King 8-)
Lightning

Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut Size / White Ash

PostBy: michaelanthony On: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:45 am

dcrane wrote:
P.S. Blaschak coal is pretty impressive after testing it 2 days now. There is no denying this is quality coal in anyone's book! anyone living next to wherever their mines are is a luck son ma biatch :mad:

Hey doug, fire looks good! I have been burning blaschak christmas coal for 3 yrs. and I like it alot, ash quantity has changed from yr 1 to 3 but no complaints. I admit I am a closet 404 wanna be and occasionally see one up for sale but never close by, some day, SOME DAY, some day ....bruhahahahaha mine, all mine...hands rubbing feverishly...fade to black :|
michaelanthony

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box, vogelzang pot belly coat rack
Coal Size/Type: Pea, and a little nut
Other Heating: Very cold FHA oil furnace

Visit Hitzer Stoves

PostBy: BPatrick On: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:35 am

Its great. When your taking the chill off the air at night and the stove forgot it was supposed to go out! ;) Last season I wouldn't be able to get the lower temps as I would fig-it and poke around underneath too much and have that fire running way too hot. You must be having mild weather. We had lake effect snow last night and this morning. I woke up to around an inch of snow and pitch dark at 7:00am. All I saw was a red glow with blue flames from the night before and two cats stretched out on either side of it. Usually they come right over as our dog is still sleeping and is upstairs at night with the kids, he doesn't get up until my little one does. I think he thinks he is the protector. Well the cats usually come over to me as they are hungry and looking for attention as the kids have the cats but dad takes care of them, (not sure how I fell for that one) but we have no mice! Anyway, 75 degrees in the house and they wouldn't budge off their spot to come over. The stove has been running for 3 weeks now and the hearth is in a permanent state of warm. Everyone comes over and walks up to the stove now and warms up or sits on the warm fire brick. I have furniture but most seem to sit on the hearth. I told the wife that I'm taking back most of the furniture as no one is using it anymore.
BPatrick

Baseburners & Antiques: 2 Crawford 40 Baseheaters
Coal Size/Type: Stove Coal
Other Heating: Herald Oak No. 18

PostBy: KingCoal On: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:36 am

wowsers, i don't want to hear that yet.

i'm down here in the south west corner of Elkhart county south of South Bend and we have not seen any snow or sleet yet.

my boss had to go to Chicago yesterday afternoon and said he hit lake effect going and coming thru Michigan City with full coverage of grass areas.

working outside in open barns and paved lots all yr. i'd rather have -20* and 30 mph winds ALL winter than the first inch of snow.
KingCoal

Hand Fed Coal Stove: DSM 1400, Riteway # 37, Comforter Stove Works
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none
Stove/Furnace Model: 2013 1400 Circulator

PostBy: DePippo79 On: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:52 pm

Thats ok let them have thier wood stoves. More coal for us. Also enjoy the oil truck driving right by my house. Very happy with Blaschak also. Tend before work and stove is still good when I get home. Can't wait for the really cold weather to test. Low 28 degrees come Monday night. Matt
DePippo79

Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40
Coal Size/Type: Stove, nut/anthracite

PostBy: dcrane On: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:27 pm

HA! just stopped by lil'peach and saw a bunch of broken open bags of coal out front and asked the dude if he wanted me to clean it up for him i would toothy ... he says their $9.95 per bag(wtf have these people loost their flippin mind :mad:) ... I said nobodys going to clean that pile up for you but ill give you $10 for it... he took it and i grabbed my shovel (i always keep in my truck) and loaded about 250 lbs of coal total (some no name brand but for that price i grabbed it).
dcrane

PostBy: DePippo79 On: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:05 pm

Little Peach the convenience store? Never knew they sold coal. Course I haven't been in one since about 18. Didn't know they were still around. Good score. Matt
DePippo79

Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40
Coal Size/Type: Stove, nut/anthracite

PostBy: Stanb999 On: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:58 am

Guy's you do know you can and should fully load the stove and just keep the intake air really low. The fire need never go out. On warm days I just idle the stove down to warm. My MarkII will run 100 degrees for 48-60 hours without touching it at all. Then you open the door, get it up and going good, Shake down, add a bit of coal. Shut her back down. For instance I keep the spinner open 1/8 turn for "low" the normal is 1 full rotation. The fire will look like it's out. But the stove will just stay warm.

Enjoy!
Stanb999

Stove/Furnace Make: Harmon
Stove/Furnace Model: Mark II

PostBy: KingCoal On: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:03 pm

Stanb999 wrote:Guy's you do know you can and should fully load the stove and just keep the intake air really low. The fire need never go out. On warm days I just idle the stove down to warm. My MarkII will run 100 degrees for 48-60 hours without touching it at all. Then you open the door, get it up and going good, Shake down, add a bit of coal. Shut her back down. For instance I keep the spinner open 1/8 turn for "low" the normal is 1 full rotation. The fire will look like it's out. But the stove will just stay warm.

Enjoy!

i SO want to try this with the DS 1400. next week we are to have a couple 60* days and i'm going to give it a shot.
KingCoal

Hand Fed Coal Stove: DSM 1400, Riteway # 37, Comforter Stove Works
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none
Stove/Furnace Model: 2013 1400 Circulator

PostBy: dcrane On: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:07 pm

Stanb999 wrote:Guy's you do know you can and should fully load the stove and just keep the intake air really low. The fire need never go out. On warm days I just idle the stove down to warm. My MarkII will run 100 degrees for 48-60 hours without touching it at all. Then you open the door, get it up and going good, Shake down, add a bit of coal. Shut her back down. For instance I keep the spinner open 1/8 turn for "low" the normal is 1 full rotation. The fire will look like it's out. But the stove will just stay warm.

Enjoy!

I was letting my stove go out (thats the point)... I was not firing up for the winter yet and had no intentions of filling her up knowing i was letting it burn it only clean out a full firebox (though im starting to re-think that decision). I made a simple small 10lb fire to enjoy that evening while watching the game and the damb thing was still going in the morning :eek2:
It just surprized the heck out me! :lol:

@DiPippo , yes the convenience store lil' peach (I did not know they sold coal either until I walked past the busted up pile of bags on their front sidewalk)... i gladly shoveled it all up for them :lol:
dcrane

PostBy: Stanb999 On: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:19 pm

KingCoal wrote:

Enjoy!

i SO want to try this with the DS 1400. next week we are to have a couple 60* days and i'm going to give it a shot.

Once you get the knack of setting it low. You will never "let it go out" till may. The low low temperature is kinda like the "heat" from a light bulb, it will take the damp off and that's about it. At these low setting you will use less than a Hod every two days.

Just remember to shake it down, No it won't actually run forever. Fire it up good and hot before you shake it down. Keep it totally full.

Make sure you have a working CO detector.
Last edited by Stanb999 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stanb999

PostBy: Stanb999 On: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:20 pm

dcrane wrote:

Enjoy!

I was letting my stove go out (thats the point)... I was not firing up for the winter yet and had no intentions of filling her up knowing i was letting it burn it only clean out a full firebox (though im starting to re-think that decision). I made a simple small 10lb fire to enjoy that evening while watching the game and the damb thing was still going in the morning :eek2:
It just surprized the heck out me! :lol:

@DiPippo , yes the convenience store lil' peach (I did not know they sold coal either until I walked past the busted up pile of bags on their front sidewalk)... i gladly shoveled it all up for them :lol:

Your such a helpful fella. I believe that was trash and they should have paid you to haul it off. :P
Stanb999

Visit Hitzer Stoves