Best fireproof gloves for Chubby ash pan handling?

Re: Best fireproof gloves for Chubby ash pan handling?

PostBy: nortcan On: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:00 pm

dcrane wrote:
nortcan wrote:Sorry guys but the best way to work an ashpan is: ( ""this one is for Doug"" ) the Vermont Castings sliding out ash pan with a slide over lid. :lol:
No need for knitted gloves

Thats it... getting in my truck with my sledge hammer.... gonna put an end to that silly womans ash pan once N for all :taz: your required to put pink nail polish on to use that BTW

You should be so cute with pink nail polish and a 2 Lbs sledge hammer in the hand :lol: , send some photos please,
nortcan

Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

PostBy: Smoker858 On: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:09 pm

Sue was home alone and the CO2 alarms went off. All 3 out of 4 of them and she slept through it. The br is on the far end of the house on the 2nd floor. Neighbor pounding on the back door and screaming work her up. The 4 CO@ in the br did not go off as she sleeps with the windows open some. Anyway the fireman insisted on unloading the stove. Their gloves did not work but they sure liked the ove gloves. the now carry a box of them on each truck. The firemen did no know the basics of operating a coal stove or simply opening the draft. Sue could not get it through their mind to learn something new.
Smoker858

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Baseburners & Antiques: Reading Stove Works Penn circa 1900
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: nat gas
Stove/Furnace Make: HITZER
Stove/Furnace Model: 50-93

PostBy: davidmcbeth3 On: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:34 pm

Beeman wrote:Ditto the welding gloves!

I use my leather stove gloves as welding gloves. LOL

But its light duty welding for the most part...
davidmcbeth3

Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 503

Visit Hitzer Stoves

PostBy: davidmcbeth3 On: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:42 pm

Smoker858 wrote:Sue was home alone and the CO2 alarms went off. All 3 out of 4 of them and she slept through it. The br is on the far end of the house on the 2nd floor. Neighbor pounding on the back door and screaming work her up. The 4 CO@ in the br did not go off as she sleeps with the windows open some. Anyway the fireman insisted on unloading the stove. Their gloves did not work but they sure liked the ove gloves. the now carry a box of them on each truck. The firemen did no know the basics of operating a coal stove or simply opening the draft. Sue could not get it through their mind to learn something new.

Sounds like you got idiots for firemen. IMO

But going 50 feet is way to far to be carrying hot ash...so hot its burning your fingers w/protective gloves. I rarely move hot hot hot ash...I let it cool down first.

But if you need to, I like the solution noted before .. make a container to hold the ash pan and carry that, which you can design to not require gloves to move.

If you are going 50 ft, it would likely take about 2-5 minutes ... even w/welding gloves I would be concerned ... the dwell time of contact exposure is very long.
davidmcbeth3

Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra
Stove/Furnace Model: 503

PostBy: Old-Duckman On: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:08 am

I have welder's gloves but I use "hot mill" gloves http://www.amazon.com/Liberty-4564ML-He ... B00C9Q7CPY

$33.30 for12 pair. They are very heavy cotton and insulate very well. I found these when learning to work pewter . You soft solder pewter while holding it in a gloved hand...work great for that and also when tending the coal stove.

FWIW
Old-Duckman

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Electric heat pump, wood pellet insert

PostBy: Sunny Boy On: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:35 am

I have several pairs of welders gloves, but I use a pair of thick leather construction gloves that just have heavy leather on the facings of the fingers and the palm. I prefer them because the leather is slightly thicker than most welding gloves. And by only having the thick leather were it's needed, they are much more flexible than all but the most expensive welding gloves, but they cost about half as much.

Plus, if the pan has a bail handle, like was common on the antique stove ash pans, the handle doesn't hold as much heat as the pan. By the time it could heat through a leather glove, the 1/4 inch rod handle has lost too much heat to even feel warm with a cheap welding glove on.

Paul
Attachments
DSCN5076.JPG
(211.02 KiB) Not viewed yet
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]60372[/nepathumb]
Sunny Boy

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

PostBy: Scottaw On: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:00 am

I wear leather work gloves anytime I work in my stove. They work fine unless it's freshly shaken. Then I put on my work gloves and fold a welding glove over like a super thick hotpad.
Scottaw

Stove/Furnace Model: 50-93

PostBy: scoobydoo On: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:05 am

I bought a pair of these and they work great http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OCN ... UTF8&psc=1
scoobydoo

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer LE top vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Visit Hitzer Stoves