Alaska kodiak stoker...

Alaska kodiak stoker...

PostBy: klotzy9 On: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:23 pm

Finally got the stove up and running from my pervious post. Rick

I had a lot of comments in my other thread and appreciate all the help, especially from rick and Ed.
I as hoping they would see this and give me a Lilltle more help now that i am hooked up.

I am having a few issues with unburnt coal in the ash pan. Not sure if The feed is adjusted properly nor am I sure how to properly adjust it. At the begining the feed was way to fast so I turned it down. Before the carpet was moving in and out 2 or so inches, now it's more like 1/2 to 3/4". Where should it be at?

Also, there are 2 fans... The fan that blows air Onto the burner and the blower fan. How it is currently set up , when you turn down one, the other also slows down. Should they be hooked up serperately? Does trhe speed of the fan control how much heat is put out, or only the feed rated control that? Is there ne way to have the blower on high, but the fan under the grate on low?

I also realized when I control the speed of the fan/ blower it also controls the speed of the Motor that feeds the carpet?

Lastly, my wall aside of the stone wall is get to g quite hot, not sure if it should be getting that hot. Any tips to reduce the wall heat?

Thanks
Mark
klotzy9

Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Kodiak Stoker Stove II

Re: Alaska kodiak stoker...

PostBy: katman On: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:08 am

Mark-you will get a better burn and more heat if you plug your combustion fan in separately so it runs full speed all the time.
katman

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum
Other Heating: Harman PB 105 Pellet Boiler

PostBy: Badog On: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:43 am

As Katman said the convection blower should run full speed all of the time. That will even out the burn and reduce the un-burnt coal. There will always be some un-burnt coal since not all that is black is coal and it is just the nature of the beast especially when the stove is not running hard.
As for the wall, do you have proper clearance? Being that it is brick getting a bit hot should not be an issue when the stove is running hard.
Badog

Stove/Furnace Model: Liberty

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

PostBy: Badog On: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:46 am

Sorry stone. I have drywall and it gets hot but not so hot that I cannot hold my hand on it when running full blast.
Badog

Stove/Furnace Model: Liberty

PostBy: Rick 386 On: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:13 pm

Mark,

Sorry been real busy at work and haven't had the time to get on here as much as I'd like. :mad:

Anywho, you are describing the typical triburner setup used by the older Alaska stoves. Triburner means the 1 rheostat controls how fast the combustion air (under the coal) flows, controls the convection fan (blows over or around the stove into the room), and controls how fast the coal is fed onto the grate.

As was mentioned, separating out the combustion air is the first step. However on the Alaska stoves the same motor that controls the combustion air is also connected to the feed linkage. The only true way to separate out the combustion fan is to get another fan and attach it to the lower opening of the stoker mechanism. Then you have to remove the squirrel cage from the shaft of that single motor. This way the motor control would only operate the stoker part of the triburner. What some of the guys have done in the past was to rig up a bathroom fan with flexible hose going to the lower opening. Or you can experiment on your own as to the type of fan and methods to attach it to the opening. I just keep mine at full power and just adjust the cam lobe. Been like this for 20+ years and no real issues.

Having the carpet move 2" is wayyyyy too much. As you have found it should only move 1/2 to 3/4" at a time. The maximum amount of coal burning allows 1" of ash at the end of the grate before falling into the ash pan. On my old Alaska stoker, I move the cam lobe 4 turns from idle to full burn. That is all. Any more and I'm pushing burning coal off the grate. And if you turn the cam lobe in too much, the fire will go out. It is that simple.

Different coals will burn differently as you see. Some of the so called unburned coal is actually shale mixed in with the coal. Having a little mixed in is a good thing as it prevents clinkers from forming. Having too much is bad in that you will not get heat from it. and you just paid over $200/ton for crap. Some here weigh their coal before burning and then weigh the ash afterwards to check how well their coal is burning.

As far as your wall getting too hot, you can always put a temporary heat shield in there when burning hot. Or how about putting a small fan to blow air around the back of the stove area and out into the room ???

Any other questions, ask away.............

Rick
Rick 386

Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Visit Lehigh Anthracite