port forwarding ?? two router setup

port forwarding ?? two router setup

PostBy: titleist1 On: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:59 pm

Here is a question for you networking guru's...

I am trying to get access to a couple security cams when I am not home. I have a westell 6100 DSL modem (verizon) and separate USRobotics USR5461 wireless router. These two are connected via an ethernet cable from the WAN port on the USR5461 to the only ethernet port on the Westell6100.

The cams are wireless IP to the USR5461 (USR LAN IP address 192.168.2.1) and i have no problem viewing them from my laptop which is also wireless to the USR5461. I just enter the IP addresses of either camera in a browser window and up it comes. The cams IP addresses:port are 192.168.2.31:99 and 192.168.2.32:99

After much research I tried port forwarding to see if I could access the cams while away just for grins. The way I understood to set it up is to have the port forward (port 99) defined in the Westell 6100 to the WAN IP address of the USR (192.168.1.47). Then set up the port forwarding (port 99) in the USR to the IP adddresses of the cam's.

After doing this I am not able to enter the external IP address of the DSL modem 71.246..... :99 and find the security camera as I thought. I can ping the 71.246..... IP address successfully, but I cannot enter that 71.246 IP address and get the login screen for the modem as I thought I would.

Any thought on what I have set up incorrectly. Could there be another firewall setting in either the DSL modem or the USR that is blocking it? I am tempted to call verizon and get a DSL modem with the wifi built in but figured that would screw something up that is working already and this isn't THAT important to me at this time!

thx
titleist1

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite

Re: port forwarding ?? two router setup

PostBy: CapeCoaler On: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:13 am

You want to bridge the DSL Modem...
You will need your ppoe username and password...
You will need to change the the USR from DHCP tp ppoe...
and put your ppoe username and password into the proper fields...
This makes the DSL modem 'Dumb' and makes the USR do all the work...
The DSL is now just a converter box that turns Phone line DSL into Ethernet...
Now the port forwarding rules will work if you have it setup properly...
Oh, print out all the steps BEFORE you do this as your internet connection will be broken...
Until you get the USR setup...
You can also call verizon and have them walk you thru this...
But tell them you want to 'bridge' your modem and if you get someone stupid who says 'whats that'...
Ask for a different person...
I have had a few bad support people who insisted they were correct in the steps they were telling the customers...
http://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/highspeed/networking/setup/questionsthree/123756.htm

Put in the ppoe info on the USR username and password...
http://www.usr.com/support/5461/5461-ug/internet.html
CapeCoaler

Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

PostBy: titleist1 On: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:38 am

OK, I tried the following steps after reading through the instructions again and finding the correct pages on the Westell 6100 since my displays look nothing like the verizon examples...

changed DSL modem from PPoE to bridge in its VC Config page by editing PPoE VPI 0, VCI 35 protocol to 'bridge' and mode to 'routed bridge' per the Verizon page. there were other 'bridge' entries in that list with VCI's from 36 - 41 but i did not enable them. also disbled the Private LAN DHCP server as noted in the verizon instructions.

On the USR i went to internet tab and selected DSL Modem instead of DSL Router and entered my DSL username and password in PPoE fields that were now visible
also on the USR checked the box to allow remote access and entered port 99.

with these setting i lost connection to the internet after everything re-booted. i also lost connection to the DSL modem through the USR. When i changed the USR back to DSL Router from DSL modem i was able to connect to the DSL modem again.

i reset everything back to PPoE mode settings and had internet connection once again.

thanks for the ideas to try, but i think i will abandon this crazy idea of remote cam access and keep things simple! :)
titleist1

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop

PostBy: CapeCoaler On: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:51 am

If you get the bridge working...
The internet will work...
Then the cameras will work...
Call verizon and have them walk you thru the bridge process...
All my customers that have DSL work with bridged DSL modems...
That said I encourage them to use Comcast here on The Cape...
The cameras can be a PIA...
You may also need DYNDNS to get a virtural 'static address'...
CapeCoaler

Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

PostBy: titleist1 On: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:58 pm

thanks for the info.....
i finally got the dsl modem into bridge mode and USR into PPPoE mode successfully.

i had to change the 'mode' in the dsl modem to 'bridge'. i misread one of the instructions and previously set it to 'routed bridge' (i think that was the 'before' screen shot and i thought it was the 'after').

so i can get to the internet now to do web browsing and get emails, but i still cannot see the cam's using the wan IP address:port so i have something screwed up in the port forwarding info. i will keep looking at that.

I was going to go back to the way it was set up and worked for umpteen years but now i can't access the dsl modem to change it back! using the modem reset button didn't change it out of bridge mode. is there any way to get back into the modem or am i now in bridge mode forever?
titleist1