Not staying lit

Not staying lit

PostBy: waight89 On: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:59 am

I have a Keystoker coal stove and it has been having trouble staying lit. The stove is about 13 years old and I don't recall the model but it's a 70,000 BTU stove. It stays lit on the right side of the chute but not on the left. The coal will light all the way across however after being lit for a while the ash on the left side of the chute begins to fall in the ash pan and then the lit coal falls behind it. The un-burnt coal from the hopper then begins to gradually fall down the chute into the ash pan. The left side of the chute just will not hold the coal and ash in place. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
waight89

Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: NA

Re: Not staying lit

PostBy: WNYRob On: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:34 pm

On the surface, it sounds like an air flow problem. Make sure the area under the grates are vacuumed out and that all the holes are clear so air can blow up threw the grates.

In terms of the grates holding the coal in place. They aren't supposed to hold it back (if this is what you are referring to). They just provide a horizontal burn surface. The stoker's push bar controls the speed at which the coal travels down the grate. No matter what speed the stoker is pushing the coal, coal will continually light itself and burn as it passes over the air vents.
WNYRob

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker Koker controlled with CoalTrol

PostBy: kstills On: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:56 pm

Sounds like the grate might have been dislodged and is sitting at too high an angle, perhaps? Either that or the stoker is going at too high a speed and is pushing everything into the ash pan before complete combustion.

As for burning on one side and not the other, definitely check under the grate for fines as was stated above.
kstills

Stoker Coal Boiler: WL 110
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

PostBy: waight89 On: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:26 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will check the grates. I made sure to vacuum under the grates as I do every year but I am wondering if the wholes in the grates are clogged on the left side. I will check the angle of the grates as well well as any possible clogged holes.
waight89

PostBy: oliver power On: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:14 pm

I'll help trouble shoot here.......... If the grate holes are clogged, air will not travel through the coal like it should. Also, if furnace cement which grates are embedded in breaks loose, air would go around the grates. Either way, if the air is not going up through the coal, the coal will not burn as it should. Because of this lack of fire, you have lack of heat. The system is telling the stoker "We need more heat", which means a bigger fire. Stoker starts pushing coal to make that bigger fire. Should the coal not ignite, you still have lack of heat. The stoker continues to push coal for a bigger fire, and off the grate it goes. Kind of like loosing power. Loosing power, means loosing the fire. Afterwards, when the power comes back on, the stoker pushes all the un-lit coal across the grate, and into the ash bucket. I believe I used a 9/64 drill bit to clear grate holes. My stoker unit is sideways in the Kaa-2 boiler. I found it easier to pull the stoker completely out of boiler. Also, as others have said, look at stoker feed rate. Oliver
oliver power

Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-Vigilant-II)
Baseburners & Antiques: MANY (Mostly when burning wood)
Stove/Furnace Make: HITZER / KEYSTOKER
Stove/Furnace Model: 50-93 & 30-95 , Kaa-2

PostBy: waight89 On: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:57 am

Thanks Oliver - I checked the grate holes and I did have a bunch of them that were clogged and spent some time cleaning all of them. It has warmed back up herein the northeast recently so I have not run the stove since cleaning it. It is supposed to get cold again this weekend so I will find out over the next day or so if the grate holes were the issue. In the meantime though I will check the cement that holds the grates for any cracks/air leaks. Thanks again!!
waight89

PostBy: dcrane On: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:04 pm

dont forget as previously mentioned about "level" and "true"... im not an expert but ive been here long enough to know this is important, sometime folks have place a pennie under a foot of some models to make difference of how coal feeds/ash dumps/etc.
dcrane

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

PostBy: waight89 On: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:20 pm

Thanks - I did check that and it appears that the left grate sits maybe a sixteenth of an inch lower than the right but it doesn't appear to be loose or to have shifted. I will keep that in mind though should my cleaning of the grate holes not fix the problem. Thanks dcrane!
waight89

Visit Lehigh Anthracite