RED ALERT FOR NEW DSM CIRCULATOR USERS / or maybe just me

Re: RED ALERT FOR NEW DSM CIRCULATOR USERS / or maybe just me

PostBy: KingCoal On: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:03 am

ran the stove with the hopper out over night at the same 1.25 bi metal setting. it put 250* out the stove top the whole time.

running these stoves as full hand fired ( no hopper, no cover fuel ) does burn hotter at the same setting / outdoor temp. after all.

so now to drop a bead and see if i can get a sustained 100-150* burn at lowest setting on dial. over night and tomorrow will be the perfect time to try it.

since the hopper is out, i'll get the pics of the baffle and the measurement of the gap between the baffle shelf and the back of the hopper.
KingCoal

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Riteway # 37, Comforter Stove Works
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

PostBy: KingCoal On: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:51 pm

ok, now on bead #4 and 1.5 on the bimetal. showing 150* on stove top, flap barely open and a large circle of glowing coal in middle / top of fuel bed with a single blue dancing around.

if this is all it will do i'm mighty impressed. never have i burned coal at anything approaching this level and not had it go out.

hope to get the pics of the baffle plate tomorrow.
KingCoal

PostBy: ridgeracing On: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:43 pm

Cool
ridgeracing

Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine Stove
Stove/Furnace Make: D.S Machine
Stove/Furnace Model: DS1600WH

Visit Hitzer Stoves

PostBy: KingCoal On: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:23 am

yep, stove still running along just fine. same settings, house still 69*. shook it down, added 5 ash shovels of fresh coal and walked away.

tonight after the pictures i'm going to turn it on down to 1 on the dial and see what it does.

BTW, bead 4 is where the chain was set when i picked it up. and i'm going to be interested to see how linear the heat out put runs as i turn it on up later. right now 1.5 on the dial is running 150* and i had already logged a 50* difference in .5 settings.

so, maybe dial 2 will be 200*, dial 2.5 / 250*, dial 3 / 300* etc. that would be pretty cool.

Baro should be here the next couple days so i'll be popping that in, give me something to watch since this stove just about runs it's self.
KingCoal

PostBy: KingCoal On: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:48 am

ran the stove on bi metal 1 ( lowest ) for 6 hrs. last night then chickened out.

during that time the flap never opened ( house still 70* )and there was only one faint dot of red in the fuel bed. there was still heat coming up the tubes and the stove top heat was holding at 150*.

i put the dial back on 1.5 for the night to make sure it was going this morning and of course it was, still 150* stove top and 70* in the house.
KingCoal

PostBy: lsayre On: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:42 am

How much coal are you burning at those low settings?
lsayre

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13 KW)

PostBy: KingCoal On: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:14 am

are you familiar with the small black ash shovels sometimes bought with coal hods ? 5 of those for 12 hrs.

like this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wood-Woodstove- ... 1059410978
KingCoal

PostBy: KingCoal On: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:08 pm

BTW, bead 4 is where the chain was set when i picked it up. and i'm going to be interested to see how linear the heat out put runs as i turn it on up later. right now 1.5 on the dial is running 150* and i had already logged a 50* difference in .5 settings.

so, maybe dial 2 will be 200*, dial 2.5 / 250*, dial 3 / 300* etc. that would be pretty cool.[/quote]

interesting, still running as batch loader ( no coal in the hopper ) but with the hopper back in the stove. after shake down tonight, moved the dial to 2 and waited for it to stabilize, 250* stove top.

dropped the hopper in and waited for an hour. steady fire blues dancing, now 200* stove top. so the bead 4 setting does result in linear heat out put per dial setting with the hopper in. now we need to see what happens when we load coal in the hopper too.
KingCoal

Visit Hitzer Stoves