Introduce Yourself

Re: Introduce Yourself

PostBy: SWPaDon On: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:02 pm

Hello everyone. I live in Southwest Pa. and I've been burning Bituminous coal for about 5 years in a Clayton 1600m. I live in an old Plank style house that was built in the late 40's .
SWPaDon

Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous. Labeled as 'Big Vein', about the size of acorns. Makes a lot of ash, but heats well and lasts longer than my previous coal.

PostBy: michaelanthony On: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:48 pm

Welcome SWPadon, great day to join!
michaelanthony

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box, vogelzang pot belly coat rack
Coal Size/Type: Pea, and a little nut
Other Heating: Very cold FHA oil furnace

PostBy: fordman43 On: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:32 pm

hi I live in maine cold up here about 24 degrees right now was 14 this morning ...new to the sight trying to learn what I can ...looking for a stove
fordman43

PostBy: freetown fred On: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:37 pm

Welcome to the FORUM fm--any questions, have at it. There's a lot of info at your disposal:) Remember, the only stupid questions are the one's we don't ask :)
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

PostBy: fordman43 On: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:44 am

thanks Fred just trying to learn as much as I can about burning coal everyone here in maine burns wood or wood pellets ...
but I want to give coal a try ... looks like im going to have to go for a stoker because where I want to install it will have to be power vented ...
this forum has already been very helpful ...
I live in small town in n central maine work for a ford garage here house is 110 year old farm house apx 1850 sq. ft. 10 foot cielings ...
started burning pellets last yeargot a theilin 40,000 btu stove burned 5 ton of pellets - dropped my oil consumption from 800 gallons to 130 gallons
but really not as warm as id like to be ... I think a good coal stove will fix that .
I want to try and pick up a used stoker if possible with coal troll any suggestions
fordman43

PostBy: freetown fred On: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:56 am

Can't help ya with the Coal-Trol thingy--but I did live in the Mt Vernon, Kents Hill area's of Maine for a few yrs back in the late 60's when--YEP--wood was king:) I don't think anyone had even heard of pellets yet :clap: toothy I know that after burning with wood for close to 50 yrs & finding coal--I'd never go back---BUT--I am pretty close to coal country as the crow flies & economically, it makes sense. Up there, I'm seeing some pretty pricey coal:( But, being retarded--whoops--retired I've only got so much money to play with--WE all do what makes sense to us:) One thing I do know---you'll love it :)
freetown fred

PostBy: fordman43 On: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:09 am

thanks fred
coal in my town is $300 a ton I pay $250 a ton for pellets delivered
got to find a used stoker don't realy want to spend $3,000 if I don't have to
fordman43

PostBy: fordman43 On: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:15 am

found 2 yead old reading Lehigh with coal troll for $1500 ,but a lot of the guys on here don't really favor reading don't know what to think?
fordman43

PostBy: freetown fred On: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:21 am

I'm not familiar w/ the Reading--or ACTUALLY--I'm not a stoker guy--it's all about need & preference--I'm sure you'll get much feed back from the girly-guys on the Reading ;)
freetown fred

PostBy: michaelanthony On: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:27 pm

Welcome Fordman43, Mike here over in Millinocket and I know a couple folks that sell stoves and they probably could use the cash flow if you know what I mean. One guy has a floor model retail 3500 and will let go for 2900, I realize you have a budget but everything is negociable. Ashlee stove in Lincoln, Me.(Leisure Line) Nicatou Coal and stove in Medway-East Millinocket area (Harman Dealer), and Moscone Heating in Millinocket(Keystoker dealer) I am sure you can find something. If you want to supplement the pellet stove "I know a guy" with a couple hand fed for sale cheap! :)
michaelanthony

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box, vogelzang pot belly coat rack

PostBy: fordman43 On: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:58 pm

hi Michael
thanks for the info I want to replace my pellet stove with coal stoker to supplement my oil fired hot air system
went to niatau this week end but they were closed was in Ashley last week also leightons stove shop here in Lincoln ...im sure ill find something
if you don't mind me asking how long have you been burning coal?
whats coal going for in Millinocket?
fordman43

PostBy: michaelanthony On: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:07 pm

fordman43 wrote:hi Michael
thanks for the info I want to replace my pellet stove with coal stoker to supplement my oil fired hot air system
went to niatau this week end but they were closed was in Ashley last week also leightons stove shop here in Lincoln ...im sure ill find something
if you don't mind me asking how long have you been burning coal?
whats coal going for in Millinocket?

This is my fourth winter and I love it and the folks on the forum are the best! I am still doing the hand fed stoves because I am a stubborn old Italian, well not that old (53) and I am on my 3rd stove. I want heat and the ability to cook in case of power outage. I have one in the basement hooked up to my cold air return with a small blower and a new to me radiant one in the living room. You are more than welcome to stop by, I am laid off for a few weeks and I am cooking for a couple private functions but other than that I am home. Boy it's warm in here!

Sorry I forgot your second question, Nicatou Stove and coal is the best price 289.00/ton 15.00 for delivery Reading coal, there Blashak is 350.00/1.2ton 15.00 delivery
Last edited by michaelanthony on Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michaelanthony

PostBy: windyhill4.2 On: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:55 pm

[quote="fordman43"]thanks Fred just trying to learn as much as I can about burning coal everyone here in maine burns wood or wood pellets ...
but I want to give coal a try ... looks like im going to have to go for a stoker because where I want to install it will have to be power vented ...
this forum has already been very helpful ...
I live in small town in n central maine work for a ford garage here house is 110 year old farm house apx 1850 sq. ft. 10 foot cielings ...
started burning pellets last yeargot a theilin 40,000 btu stove burned 5 ton of pellets - dropped my oil consumption from 800 gallons to 130 gallons
but really not as warm as id like to be ... I think a good coal stove will fix that .
I want to try and pick up a used stoker if possible with coal troll any suggestions[/quo fm43,welcome,your questions will find lots of answers on this forum,if you go to Board index ,for sale, stokers, etc, & click on a matching thread or start a new thread.
windyhill4.2

Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

PostBy: windyhill4.2 On: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:15 pm

????? :?: :shock: My post didn't work out quite rite,but that last one!!!!my key board ain't got nothin like that !! Anyway FM43 ,you will find lots of help on one or more of the threads,this intro thread ain't the best for getting questions answered,again,welcome.
windyhill4.2

Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

PostBy: Got a match On: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:26 am

Hello,well it's Dec 3,and 20 below c.in n.e. British Columbia. Nobody burns coal here cause closest coal is 800 kms away (1600 round trip). So dam tired of firewood, so I drove to Edmonton area and bought some stove coal for 40.00$ a tonne. Got 12 ton home in a blizzard, loaded my harman sf 360 and away I go!
Stove is in big insulated shop and it pumps water to 2800 square ft. house. Stove heats shop by it's radiant heat. I think I'll heat shop and house for 500.00$ for coal and 500.00$ for fuel to get it home. Not to bad.
I'll let you people know how we make out at 40 below.
By for now
Got a match

Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: sf 360