Oil vs Natural Gas for the dual fuel units.

Oil vs Natural Gas for the dual fuel units.

PostBy: EarthWindandFire On: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:35 pm

I've been thinking about a dual-fuel furnace or boiler for several years now. I have available either natural gas or oil as a fuel source in my basement. I'm wondering if anyone has a gas gun installed on their dual-fuel coal furnace or boiler?

I would prefer natural gas but none of the manufacturers seem to advertise that fuel type. Keystoker for example only discusses oil guns as a dual-fuel option.

Is this because natural gas has a tendency to cause a more severe chemical reaction inside a chimney causing it to have a short life? This shouldn't matter since switching to the gas gun would rarely happen except when on vacation. We do plan on selling the house, this is why dual-fuel is so important, code compliance is important. I would rather buy a coal furnace or boiler and not pay the $ 6,000 dollars that my oil company wanted for a new Lennox furnace.
EarthWindandFire

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer model 75.
Other Heating: Oil and Natural Gas.

Re: Oil vs Natural Gas for the dual fuel units.

PostBy: Rob R. On: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:36 pm

I think Matt at Leisure Line runs his LL110 on NG.
Rob R.

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/buck
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

PostBy: EarthWindandFire On: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:45 pm

I do remember Matt saying that, Rob.

Also, another benefit to natural gas is the billing cycle. I wouldn't have to get a fuel oil delivery which is 150 gallons minimum and costs around $ 600 dollars. Natural gas is billed monthly and the cost can be spread out by a billing plan. Another point of concern is that the oil would sit in the tank for years and be a time-bomb ready to leak due to tank corrosion. And as we all know, the oil will spoil after a few years unless great care is taken to keep it fresh. I would love to get rid of my old oil tank and free up space in the basement.
EarthWindandFire

PostBy: Hambden Bob On: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:05 pm

Well,I think that high oil prices are here to stay. Natural Gas has had a history of high and now low pricing. With the current Frack Boom well underway,and none of the Oil Long Term Storage Issues present,I'd go with the N.G. features,which includes the Billing aspects all our fine previous Posters have laid out. There,now that's one Hell of a run-on sentence fer ya's ! Sister Bertrand's gonna haunt me for that honker! :eek2:
Hambden Bob

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni !

PostBy: Berlin On: Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:33 pm

long-term oil storage isn't a concern. If you're planning on using the backup regularly, I'd go NG, if you are planning on rarely using the backup, I'd go oil. There's no problem having it sit (fill it up) and when you need to use it it's already payed for.
Berlin

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Will-Burt Combustioneer 77B
Coal Size/Type: Ohio BITUMINOUS pea stoker coal

PostBy: EarthWindandFire On: Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:49 pm

Why aren't natural gas burners offered as an option by AHS, EFM and Keystoker ?
EarthWindandFire

PostBy: Rob R. On: Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:58 pm

EarthWindandFire wrote:Why aren't natural gas burners offered as an option by AHS, EFM and Keystoker ?

My guess is that very few people with natural gas service burn coal.
Rob R.

PostBy: Richard S. On: Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:01 pm

If they are available I have heard them mentioned, the ones I've heard mentioned are custom installs.

I'd imagine the big issue and the reason they aren't common is it's not like switching an oil furnace. You are getting out of the realm of what the homeowner should be messing with.
Richard S.

Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

PostBy: Richard S. On: Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:03 pm

Rob R. wrote:My guess is that very few people with natural gas service burn coal.

Up until about 2008 into 2009 there was a lot of people with natural gas putting them in becsue it wasn't cheap like it is now.
Richard S.

PostBy: Rob R. On: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:18 pm

Have we ever had a poll about what kind of fuel someone burned for primary heat prior to coal?
Rob R.

PostBy: Richard S. On: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:22 pm

There is poll here if you have access to gas from Jan. of last year, it's 21% with 99 votes:

Poll: Do you have natural gas?

It would be much higher in 2008, the NG wasn't much better than oil.
Richard S.