dhw question

dhw question

PostBy: philthy On: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:02 pm

Opinions please?

I recently pulled a water to air exchanger out of my oil furnace that was hooked to an outdoor wood furnace (gone before I bought the house). In a nut shell, what I was thinking of doing was strapping this to the side of my Hitzer 82fa between the fire box and surrounding jacket; isolated from the air wash with a custom housing of some sort.

The exchanger is 18x20 and has 27 double-loop 3/8" copper tubes surrounded by aluminum fins. My math tells me this is roughly 81' of tubing not counting the bends on each end. Due you fine folks think this would transfer enough heat for dhw? I also have an old cast iron radiator that I'm thinking of tying into the loop to help heat the basement. Why? Mostly because I have it and I like to experiment. :D

I currently have this listed on craigslist and was planning to buy an internal coil but seemed to be a waste if the exchanger would collect enough heat.

Thanks in advance!
philthy

Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 82-fa

Re: dhw question

PostBy: McGiever On: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:18 pm

You might gauge things by seeing what was done here...

McGiever

Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN MAGNUM
Hand Fed Coal Stove: RADIANT HOME AIR BLAST
Baseburners & Antiques: OUR GLENWOOD 111 BASEBURNER "1908"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE, NUT-STOVE / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

PostBy: philthy On: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:31 pm

I saw that and is actually where I got the idea. My concern is the jacketed air cooling too much. Figured I'd build an enclosure around the exchanger to isolate. I guess I could set the blower cut-off to a higher temp which would help.
philthy

PostBy: McGiever On: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:55 pm

philthy wrote:I saw that and is actually where I got the idea. My concern is the jacketed air cooling too much. Figured I'd build an enclosure around the exchanger to isolate. I guess I could set the blower cut-off to a higher temp which would help.

Inside an air jacket or air plenum...
"Heated Water giving up energy to make useable hot Air" requires many CFMs of room Air.

"Heated Air giving up energy to make useable hot Water" requires many many many many CFMs of that Heated Air.
McGiever

Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN MAGNUM
Hand Fed Coal Stove: RADIANT HOME AIR BLAST
Baseburners & Antiques: OUR GLENWOOD 111 BASEBURNER "1908"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE, NUT-STOVE / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

PostBy: philthy On: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:17 am

Yes, it is an air plenum. The exchanger would be mounted low where the bulk of the heat is, just out side of the fire brick. Then encapsulated with some sort of enclosure to keep the blower air from directly cooling the exchanger.

This is assuming there is enough room between the fire box wall and surrounding jacket. The exchanger is about 3 1/2" thick, I think…
philthy

PostBy: philthy On: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:14 pm

Ok guys, I think I have my plan. I'm goint to run well water into a 50-gal tempering tank located right beside my coal furnace that will heat via thermo syphon. Heated water from the tempering tank will be ran to the existing 66-gal water heater which is about 20 feet away. The question I have is; will there be any advantages to adding a pump between the tempering tank and the existing hot water heater?

I've been researching this for a month and want to make sure I get it right the first time!
philthy

PostBy: blrman07 On: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:26 pm

None that I'm aware of.

Rev. Larry
New Beginning Church
Ashland pa.
blrman07

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Bucket a Day
Hand Fed Coal Stove: installing a VC 2310
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Wood in the VC and anything that will fit in the Bucket a Day. It's not fussy.