WL110 not keeping up

Re: WL110 not keeping up

PostBy: a1harnish On: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:59 pm

I'm installing a Honeywell fth6500wf. If I can't hook it right into the aquastat I have a doorbell transformer which should be 24 vac close to the boiler that will work!
a1harnish

Stoker Coal Boiler: WL110
Stove/Furnace Make: looking for leisure line
Stove/Furnace Model: WL 110 STOKER

PostBy: Rob R. On: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:03 pm

a1harnish wrote:The house did stay warm on oil !!! But it was over 3k in oil a year!!!!
The unit did not reach 180 when the house was 60s
How would more baseboard help? By next winter I will have our second floor hot water baseboard installed! We have electric baseboard upstairs now!

I suggested that before I knew that the boiler couldn't hit 180, with that in mind I'd say your boiler doesn't have enough capacity for the job. Adding the second floor will make it struggle even more.

Did you follow the manual instructions for adjusting the fire?
Rob R.

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:19 pm

a1harnish wrote:The house did stay warm on oil !!! But it was over 3k in oil a year!!!!
How would more baseboard help? By next winter I will have our second floor hot water baseboard installed! We have electric baseboard upstairs now!

Do you have a full grate of fire when running full out? You should have hot coals about 1/2" from the end. Also what is your overfire pressure and stack pressure?
Flyer5

Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Visit Leisure Line Stove

PostBy: kstills On: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:10 pm

http://www.argobaseboard.com/products/c ... -stats.asp

Here's a guide for baseboard, with flow in gpm vs output in BTUH.

Depending on how big the house is, and how much heat loss you have, and how much flow rate you have through the baseboard, and how hot your boiler water is, you may not have enough baseboard installed to disperse all the heat the boiler can put out.

At 4gpm, with 170f water, you'll only be putting in 45500 btuh to the house. If it's as poorly insulated as you say, that may not be enough to keep up with the heat loss (depending on the outside temperature).
kstills

Stoker Coal Boiler: WL 110
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line

PostBy: jeff216410 On: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:35 am

Would also be helpful to know recovery time. How long does it take to get back up to temp after a zone shuts down. Try upping to LL to 180 and HL to maybe 195 in extreme cold. What is the 3rd number on the aquistat display after the HL and LL (the delta temp that shuts off the circulator?) Are the flames going around the steel plate above the feeder?
jeff216410

Stove/Furnace Make: Liesure Line Hearth

PostBy: Z10396 On: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:07 am

I am experiencing recovery problems, boiler not keeping up also during this recent cold snap here. The fire looks really good and I just cleaned the boiler a week ago. My aquastat is set at HL190 LL 170 delta of 10, how far up do I dare set it? I have about and inch and a half of ash at the end of the grate. Should I set the aquastat at a higher setting and adjust me feed screw to push more coal? I am heating dhw and will probably shut that off for the time being and use my electric hotwater heater. Any additional thoughts?
Z10396

Stove/Furnace Model: WL110

PostBy: plumber On: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:52 pm

Z10396 wrote:I am experiencing recovery problems, boiler not keeping up also during this recent cold snap here. The fire looks really good and I just cleaned the boiler a week ago. My aquastat is set at HL190 LL 170 delta of 10, how far up do I dare set it? I have about and inch and a half of ash at the end of the grate. Should I set the aquastat at a higher setting and adjust me feed screw to push more coal? I am heating dhw and will probably shut that off for the time being and use my electric hotwater heater. Any additional thoughts?

Leave your aquastat alone for right now. You have too much ash at the end of the grate, you want about 1/2". Turn in your feed screw to accomplish this, you're not burning enough coal.
plumber

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350

PostBy: Uglysquirrel On: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:27 pm

plumber wrote:
Z10396 wrote:I am experiencing recovery problems, boiler not keeping up also during this recent cold snap here. The fire looks really good and I just cleaned the boiler a week ago. My aquastat is set at HL190 LL 170 delta of 10, how far up do I dare set it? I have about and inch and a half of ash at the end of the grate. Should I set the aquastat at a higher setting and adjust me feed screw to push more coal? I am heating dhw and will probably shut that off for the time being and use my electric hotwater heater. Any additional thoughts?

Leave your aquastat alone for right now. You have too much ash at the end of the grate, you want about 1/2". Turn in your feed screw to accomplish this, you're not burning enough coal.

Just for yucks, about how many pounds should he expect to burn in the heart of the winter ?
Uglysquirrel

Stove/Furnace Model: Pocono

PostBy: Z10396 On: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:42 pm

plumber wrote:

Turned two turns in, seems to have made a noticeable difference.
Z10396

Stove/Furnace Model: WL110

Visit Leisure Line Stove