Pillow bearings

Pillow bearings

PostBy: chevymatt On: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:05 pm

Does anyone have a part number for the pillow bearings on an S-260. I've got one going and with this cold weather I need one ASAP. Thanks guys
chevymatt

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S260

Re: Pillow bearings

PostBy: greenftechn On: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:27 pm

Our internal part number is <200-488D>, but I doubt that's what you were looking for. ;)

I will say that we have that part in stock. In a few months you'll be able to order it online as well. My main reason in posting is to let folks know that the pillow block bearings fail most often due to over greasing (destroying the seal) and using the wrong grease. Our supplier says to use only a synthetic grease.
greenftechn

Stove/Furnace Make: Alternate Heating Systems
Stove/Furnace Model: E100

PostBy: Rob R. On: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:32 pm

greenftechn wrote:Our supplier says to use only a synthetic grease.

Ask your supplier what type of grease is in the bearing when shipped. NLGI grade, type of thickener, and melting point.

"Synthetic grease" usually just means the base oil is synthetic, and is not enough information to properly spec. a lubricant.
Rob R.

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/buck
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

PostBy: lsayre On: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:11 pm

If they are the same as for an S130 they are NTN Ultra-Class UCP-5/8, and they are made by the NTN Corporation in Japan. Just under the bar code on the end of the box it says UCP-5/8M. On an inside flap of the box it says U-UCP204. I have one standing at the ready just in case it is ever needed.

But on the bearing itself it says P201V, so I'm not sure mine came in its original box.

Here's a link to the 200 series NTN bearings. Lots of good info here, including lube info and instructions.
http://www.ntnamericas.com/en/website/d ... lowres.pdf

And another link:
http://www.ntnamericas.com/en/products/ ... PSWH&ctc=M
lsayre

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (if I ever get it fixed)

PostBy: chevymatt On: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:20 pm

Thanks isayre.

Mine say ntn p201v also but I wasn't sure what the inside diameter was and if the bolt spacing is the same on all pillow bearings. I would normally order from AHS but I need it replaced in the morning as I'm afraid it's almost dead
chevymatt

PostBy: Rob R. On: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:27 pm

Matt, sometimes a shot of grease can buy you another day. Worth a try if you get in a bind.
Rob R.

PostBy: chevymatt On: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:32 pm

I hit it with a shot of grease like you said and it did quiet it down I just figure my time is at a minimum and I work out of town during the week so I need it fixed ASAP. Thanks for the input Rob.
chevymatt

PostBy: rwwsr On: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:27 pm

Inner bearing? If there's no play, I have gone for the season with grease (lots) before replacing. Careful with reassembly (alignment and thrust)
Randy
rwwsr

Stoker Coal Boiler: ahs s260 3
Coal Size/Type: pea

PostBy: Pa papa On: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:51 pm

I'd measure the shaft diameter and the bolt spacing and head to the nearest bearing distributor.
Try Dow Corning Molykote G-0010 with the new bearing (s) It is a high temperature NLGI 2 grease with a polyurea thickener. It has worked well for me.
I'd be careful some thickeners don't play well with some of the polyurea thickeners if you're temped to use it on previously greased bearings.
Attachments
Dow Corning G-0010 grease.pdf
Product information
(74.89 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Select:BBcode: [nepafile=48399]Dow Corning G-0010 grease.pdf[/nepafile]
Pa papa

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS-130
Coal Size/Type: Pea; anthracite
Other Heating: oil fired boiler; LP insert

PostBy: lsayre On: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:30 pm

A lot of times it is just a loose locking screw (or two) causing all of the noise in the pillow block bearing. Check to see if the bearings two Allen head set screws are snugged down good and tight to the fan shaft.
lsayre

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (if I ever get it fixed)

PostBy: Rob R. On: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:35 am

Pa papa wrote:I'd measure the shaft diameter and the bolt spacing and head to the nearest bearing distributor.
Try Dow Corning Molykote G-0010 with the new bearing (s) It is a high temperature NLGI 2 grease with a polyurea thickener. It has worked well for me.
I'd be careful some thickeners don't play well with some of the polyurea thickeners if you're temped to use it on previously greased bearings.

The bearings come with a lithium 12-hydroxy grease...it is not recommended to mix it with a polyurea product.
Rob R.

PostBy: macdabs On: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:28 am

I thought I was the only one that had issues with the lock screws on the pillow block. I end up using loc-tite good for a month or more on the set screws and have noticed my bearings with noise also. I tried purchasing the bearing local two weeks ago to have spares just for that reason and have had no luck .

I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic grease and have been greasing once a week. :o :o I guess I had no idea you could over grease a bearing. :shock:

I guess I need to purchase bearings also what brand of grease is recommended?

Mac
macdabs

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS 260
Coal Size/Type: Pea
Other Heating: Pellet,oil
Stove/Furnace Make: AHS
Stove/Furnace Model: S260

PostBy: Rob R. On: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:30 am

The Mobil 1 grease you have been using is fine, but 1-2 pumps of grease once per season is probably adequate,
Rob R.

PostBy: greenftechn On: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:28 am

The Mobil 1 grease you have been using is fine, but 1-2 pumps of grease once per season is probably adequate,

I will echo this. Also, thanks Isayre for your input. Here is some more grist for the mill:

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Rea ... patibility
greenftechn

Stove/Furnace Make: Alternate Heating Systems
Stove/Furnace Model: E100

PostBy: Pa papa On: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:57 am

Rob R. wrote:
Pa papa wrote:I'd measure the shaft diameter and the bolt spacing and head to the nearest bearing distributor.

The bearings come with a lithium 12-hydroxy grease...it is not recommended to mix it with a polyurea product.

Thanks Rob, I didn't know that.
Pa papa

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS-130
Coal Size/Type: Pea; anthracite
Other Heating: oil fired boiler; LP insert