Harman Super Magnum Stoker

Re: Harman Super Magnum Stoker

PostBy: Kubota2007 On: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:40 pm

Thanks Captcaper, alot of great information. Plan on purchasing a Harman in Feb. Then I'll start removing wood burner this spring. Coal stoker will go in the same place as wood stove was. It will be easy to install sensor wire in living room, stove will be almost directly below. I'm going to add another cold air return on your advise, I have one but it's the same size as the heat duct, I'm getting alot of air noise from my cold air return, cold be restricted. Thanks for you advise, I'll be in touch.
Kubota2007

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magmun 20yrs old,Harmon Super Mag just installed.
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Electric,

PostBy: coalkirk On: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:50 pm

My 2 cents. Shop for a good used Harman Mag instead of buying the so called super mag. Save thousands and have a better product in the long run.
coalkirk

Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

PostBy: captcaper On: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:48 pm

coalkirk wrote:My 2 cents. Shop for a good used Harman Mag instead of buying the so called super mag. Save thousands and have a better product in the long run.

Why buy a old product that could have issues and or headaches. My coal dealer has a Super Mag in his home and used for 6 years in NH winters which aren't easy and never had an issue. Why do you think the Mag is better? I don't understand this. After going all over the Super Mag I can't see how the old is better. I saw a Mag and didn't like it the features compared to Super Mag. Enlighten me.
captcaper

Stove/Furnace Make: Harman Super Magnum
Stove/Furnace Model: Super Magnum Stoker

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

PostBy: titleist1 On: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:11 pm

The older used mag stokers are my preference. IMO I do not think the new SuperMag is worth the extra ~$2k. If you are patient and somewhat knowledgeable you can save a good bit of money buying a nice used one (I have bought 3 older Mag's for the price of 1 SuperMag). The older control box is very effective and uses a simple local hardware store available thermostat input. The temp always stays within 1 degree of my 'stat setting.

Buying used is not for everyone. Obviously the used ones don't come with a warranty, so if that is a concern then maybe buying new is the answer. Warranty is not a concern for me since my third stoker can be used as parts for the two in operation and I don't have to wait for a dealer to schedule a visit.

Does anyone know if the controller on the SuperMag is the same as on their pellet stoves? I know the sensor input is the same and even the video on the website for the SuperMag ESP operation references pellet stoves. If so then I would think new parts would be readily available since pellet stoves are such a big piece of their business.
titleist1

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite

PostBy: coalkirk On: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:25 pm

captcaper wrote:
coalkirk wrote:My 2 cents. Shop for a good used Harman Mag instead of buying the so called super mag. Save thousands and have a better product in the long run.

Why buy a old product that could have issues and or headaches. My coal dealer has a Super Mag in his home and used for 6 years in NH winters which aren't easy and never had an issue. Why do you think the Mag is better? I don't understand this. After going all over the Super Mag I can't see how the old is better. I saw a Mag and didn't like it the features compared to Super Mag. Enlighten me.

I'll be honest, I've never used a super mag. From what I understand they use components from their pellet stoves. Pre "super" mags are pretty much bullet proof, readily availalble used and you won't need a second mortage to buy one.
coalkirk

Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

PostBy: captcaper On: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:37 pm

Titelist....You sound like me and my snow machines..I have many parts laying around. :) When I bought I wasn't concerned with a warranty and didn't buy because it had one. I bought new for the latest features like under stove filter,total block off kit,simple control panel,convection side panels and not having to spend hours of work trying to get one that worked correctly and reliably. No horror stories needed here. It's get real cold here in NH -20 yesterday and I have my priorities. I'm lucky enough to make good money in life and afford a Super Mag without stress. I'm blessed and I'm the first to admit it.
My snow machines cost $12000 each. Then there is the new Lance Camper..so $3300 isn't too bad really for all this heat I've had through this frigid Winter since October. I picked a good year to get a Stoker didn't I ?
Yes the control is similar but not exactly the same. It seems the layout is just different but the controls/lights are the same. Which is great for future service,parts,etc.
If some of the parts inside like the feed motor or arms etc. are the same as the pellet stove then they make a hell of a pellet stove.
captcaper

PostBy: titleist1 On: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:01 pm

captcaper wrote:I picked a good year to get a Stoker didn't I ?

Yep...This kind of year will accelerate the roi of the stoker! It's funny how it usually seems to work the opposite, i.e. buy a snow blower and the next 3 years are snow free!

captcaper wrote:Yes the control is similar but not exactly the same. It seems the layout is just different but the controls/lights are the same. Which is great for future service,parts,etc.

I was thinking of future parts availability too. If they decide to get out of the coal burner business then you may be able to get a pellet control board or sensor rather than scrapping the stove. I noticed their control boards have a dip switch that is set differently for different models.
titleist1

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite

PostBy: captcaper On: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:16 pm

I don't see them getting out of the coal business. With the advent of the recent pellet invention and boom they backed off due to demand I bet. Dropping the Mark II was a good idea. Who know's maybe they'll come out with a whole new beast to set new standards in Coal stoves.
captcaper

Visit Lehigh Anthracite