Van Wert 600 Rebuild and Install Job

joek18
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert and a EFM
Coal Size/Type: Buck & Rice

Post by joek18 » Mon. Jan. 27, 2014 10:28 pm

Just got this Van Wert fired up last week. It took me about 2 months to tear it ALL apart, recondition everything and remove Natural Gas boiler, then install the stoker. I got lucky because the stoker is in great shape and well taken care of. It has been running since 1988 . The best is that the covers were never put on and the owner still had them in the original box, never opened! I wire wheeled the boiler down on the inside and out then painted it with Chassis Saver Silver, a very highly durable paint used in the automotive industry. (like Por 15). The rings were still in great shape and I think they were replaced once. The Coal transfer housing was feeding from the left and I needed one from the right. I found a guy that had a whole Pot, transmission drive assy. for sale with the feed like I needed. I got it for only $125! Took it all apart, saved all the spare parts and revamped the ones I needed. . It runs great, but the only problem I have is with the speed of the drive worm gear. The chain is a #41, and tranny gear is 10 tooth. the top gear is 18 tooth,. That's the one that has the shear pin in the short worm. The ashes are very heavy and looks like a lot of coal is unburned. The air is set at 3 and adjusting it didn't help. I know 3 people that had to change that gear for that reason and claim 100% improvement. Believe it or not, that gear must be increased from 18 tooth to 30 tooth! I got one on EBAY for about $25. I also ordered the tranny gear and a new #41 chain. I'll change it out on Saturday and let you all know how it works out. Well, enough for now. Ill post some pics.. :) :) [

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Mon. Jan. 27, 2014 11:10 pm

. Manual shows needing 10 and 15 tooth
Also a 600-1 tranny, not a 400-1.
Also a 3" pulley on the transmission, 4" pulley on the motor.
Also a 2" pitch on your auger flighting.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Jan. 28, 2014 5:13 am

Welcome. We would love to see some pictures of your boiler and the install.

Based on the parts list that Scott posted, it seems like your stoker has already been "geared down" a little with that 18 tooth sprocket on the auger. Better check the pulleys on the motor and tranny.

Sometimes trying coal from a different source can make a big difference.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Tue. Jan. 28, 2014 6:59 pm

Are you feeding it buck? The manual specifies buck, and the Van Wert furnace I ran last year did fine with it.

Mike

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Jan. 28, 2014 7:18 pm

I am told they also run good with rice.

joek18

Post by joek18 » Wed. Jan. 29, 2014 6:16 pm

Here are a few pics of the assembly and installation. I did break off one of the coil studs (to lazy to heat it first) but I did successfully weld on a new one. The coil was completely disassembled, cleaned, tested, and reinstalled with a new gasket. Couldn't find a torque rating, so I used 20 ft. lbs. on all the studs to be sure they were all equal. Not sure it needed to be that much. Once the gasket starts squishing out all around, I think that's enough. That worked great.

Attachments

IMG_0454.JPG
.JPG | 156KB | IMG_0454.JPG
IMG_0475.JPG
.JPG | 96.9KB | IMG_0475.JPG
IMG_0545.JPG
.JPG | 146.6KB | IMG_0545.JPG
IMG_0540.JPG
.JPG | 108KB | IMG_0540.JPG
IMG_0593.JPG
.JPG | 112.5KB | IMG_0593.JPG
IMG_0515.JPG
.JPG | 146.9KB | IMG_0515.JPG
Last edited by joek18 on Wed. Jan. 29, 2014 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joek18

Post by joek18 » Wed. Jan. 29, 2014 6:32 pm

Yep, I feed it buck. I do have the right pulleys on the motor and tranny. I have the same parts sheet you showed and did see the different sprockets and pulley's listed. We all buy our coal from the same supplier in this area. AGEL coal & Oil out of Scranton Pa. Two of my friends had the problem with the unburned coal in the ashes last year, and AGEL told them about that 30 tooth top sprocket. I am having that problem with the 18 tooth one now, and actually plan on changing it tonight. They all claim the big sprocket does the trick! I got a 25 tooth. I ordered it before I was advised to get a 30, but I'll try it and let you guys know how it works. Oh, AGEL's reason why the coal doesn't all burn is because the feed is to fast for this hard coal. It has to sit in the pot longer to burn completely, therefore a slower sprocket. I have seen my friends ashes, and it does all burn and make lighter ashes. Right now, I can hardly lift my ash can up! I'll keep you posted.. :)

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Wed. Jan. 29, 2014 6:41 pm

Nice rebuild Joe. Looks better than new. :)

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Jan. 29, 2014 6:58 pm

Nice job!

Be sure to report back after you get the sprocket swapped.

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Wed. Jan. 29, 2014 7:06 pm

Very nice looking job. you two make such a lovely couple :love: but seriously ,nice job! :)

waldo

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Jan. 29, 2014 7:11 pm

That looks like a dual fuel unit. Block off plate on the left side?

joek18

Post by joek18 » Wed. Jan. 29, 2014 7:24 pm

Yes, It did come out nice. Can you believe I removed a 600 Van wert from that house (my mom & dads) in 1999 to install a natural gas boiler. What a mistake! My dad sold it to his friend for $300 complete! It sits in his barn today as a spare for his house. I know because I tried to buy it back. Of course, he wouldn't sell it to anyone for a million dollars!! But I got this one for a few more dollars and still a great deal. A little newer and in better shape. Who would of thought that 15 years later I'd be putting a Van Wert Coal stoker back in that house! Mom and Dad are both passed away now, but I know they loved that Van Wert better than that Peerless gas boiler!! Anyway, Later!! :)

joek18

Post by joek18 » Tue. Nov. 12, 2019 9:59 am

Just removed and sold the Van Wert and installed a RINNAI Combo gas boiler. Kinda broke my heart, but getting to old to be hauling coal and taking out ashes, no to mention the dust. So far the RINNAI is working great, is 95.5% efficient and uses very little fuel. I have installed a few of them now and all work very well. Also, our gas company paid us $1,800 rebate for switching over! The Rinnai cost $2,100 , so its a great incentive! The only part that scares me is its run buy a computer. If it stops working, we're screwed! Its as simple not like our coal stoker! Ill keep you posted. Joe K

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Tue. Nov. 12, 2019 11:19 am

Sorry to see the Van Wert go Joe. I hope it went to a good home.

Maybe you should have kept it for when the gas company throttles back your fuel due to high demand. ;)

-Don

joek18

Post by joek18 » Tue. Nov. 12, 2019 12:09 pm

Thanks Don, I still have some spare parts if anyone is interested.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”